Tax on Whisky!?

Guest fatman

Hi !

Does anyone know the Tax Duty on bringing your own Whisky from the Uk to Adelaide?

We were thinking on bringing a couple of bottles of our own Whisky we have had for years.

Thanks,

Fatman in UK :skeptical:

Thanks for reply abt the Whisky....... we would be carrying 2 bottles of 15 year old malt..... any idea how much approx on Tax?:skeptical:

You may have to do some leg work on that.

From the fact sheet I linked to

Duty for alcohol products

Different duty rates apply to alcoholic beverages

dependent upon the type of beverage and its alcohol

content (lal = litres of alcohol). There is no general

formula, rate or amount that applies.

Spirits like rum, brandy and whiskey are subject to a

percentage duty rate applied to the value of the spirit and

a fixed rate per lal.

Information on tariff classifications can be found at

www.customs.gov.au/tariff/tariff.asp

Customs duty rates are subject to change. Importers are

advised to check the current published rates.

Edited by snifter

How are you going to bring them over, dont think that UK customs will let you carry on board.

Les

I wasn't sure if fatman meant to fly with them or ship. I went out from shipping. Like you I don't think they can be taken on board when flying but things might have changed.

I don't think you can even buy duty free booze in UK if you have a stop at Singapore etc although I probably misunderstood that bit in the blurb.

How much whisky? You can bring in a certain amount duty free, even if you don't buy it from a duty free store. If packed properly they should survive the plane trip in your checked baggage. The luggage in the hold of planes is pretty tightly packed and caged these days. It's more of a problem if it gets squashed or dropped, so if packed properly should be ok. Each adult is allowed to bring in 2.25 litres of alcohol duty free, this is regardless of where it was bought, made etc.

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi

Hubby brought out a fancy bottle of rum he'd been given as a gift in the UK. It came well wrapped up in our checked baggage, was declared when we landed and we didn't have to pay anything so would've thought if you have 1 each you should be ok.