Dogs and fleas

sduffy

Hi Guys,just a bit of advice for dog owners near beaches.

We live down at Seaford Rise and our dog has had a few bouts of fleas since we have lived here.When we lived in Aberfoyle Park and Uk never had them.

Vet confirmed that fleas thrive in the sand,so if you are regularly on the beach make sure you use regular flea treatments as well and keep checking for fleas they can cause some nasty side effects,such as skin problems and even anaemia.

In addition the vet also said that a lot of pet owners dont always protect their pets against fleas.Keep an eye on your pets.l

Sue

Guest Lorraine Doyle

Hi Sue,

I never knew that. I used to always take my dogs to the beach in Ireland as the sea water was a great preventive for fleas. Hank God I haven taken mine since last year!! Going to dose more regular now.... I used to do it less often so they wouldn't become immune to the dose. Ah well no choice now.

Thank you so much for sharing tat info. X

Hi Guys,just a bit of advice for dog owners near beaches.

We live down at Seaford Rise and our dog has had a few bouts of fleas since we have lived here.When we lived in Aberfoyle Park and Uk never had them.

Vet confirmed that fleas thrive in the sand,so if you are regularly on the beach make sure you use regular flea treatments as well and keep checking for fleas they can cause some nasty side effects,such as skin problems and even anaemia.

In addition the vet also said that a lot of pet owners dont always protect their pets against fleas.Keep an eye on your pets.l

Sue

Dog and cat both de-flea'd yesterday. Grateful for the reminder of just how important it is. :smile:

Which is the one that does worms as well as fleas? I can never remember if it's frontline or revolution....

I think it's Revolution as I remember both the English & Aus vets telling me that it does something extra that Frontline doesn't do and I'm pretty sure it was some form of particular worm. However, you do have to worm too. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong

Which is the one that does worms as well as fleas? I can never remember if it's frontline or revolution....

It's Revolution Diane, it treats for heartworm as well I think. We use it on Trevor and I've never had a single flea problem with him.

Another reminder for everyone is to think about pet insurance as well. We let ours lapse and what a huge mistake that was! Trevor had a terrible accident five weeks ago when he managed to impale himself on a broken branch. A two and half hour operation followed, with two to three weeks worth of antibiotics, painkillers and sedatives and one GINORMOUS bill at the end of it :(

We locked the stable door well after the horse had bolted but now have full insurance on Trevor through Woolworths which has worked out a fair bit cheaper than other insurers. We pay $18 per fortnight and he's covered up to $12K I think. Not trying to plug Woolworths but just want you pet owners to think about insurance as vet bills can be pretty huge and Trev's accident certainly put a big hole in our bank balance...