Keeping safe in the sun.

Guest jakeandshelley

Guest jakeandshelley

Hi,

aside from the obvious sun screen/hats etc what does everyone do to keep their kids well protected from the sun? I have two boys 7 and 4 and a baby girl.

Thanks

Shelley.

Guest moonraker1959

Use a high factor sunsunscreen and remember to re apply especially when swimming.Stay out of the sun between 11am and 3pm,and when outside stay in the shade as much as possible.Be aware of when you are out and about in the car,use stick on suction type shades on the back passenger windows and never leave kids in the car unattended for any amount of time(common sense I know but people do still do it).Make sure everyone stays hydrated(I use to freeze my kids drink bottles overnight for school days).With your baby be particularly careful if taking out in the pusher/pram.I used to head(walking)to the shops early in the day to avoid the heat.

When swimming get them to wear a t-shirt. I know nowadays there is some shirts just go swimming but can't for the life of me remember what they are called.

Rash vests. They have a UV protection factor even when wet. Ordinary t-shirts will not provide much protection once wet.

We have sun factor creams everywhere ,

in the cars, small portable tubes in handbags,back pockets and at-least 2 good sized ones at home, we also have heaps of the ones for your lips too(push up lipstick type)

like previously mentioned rashes are good for all the family, we bought a pop up beach tent/ shade that has a 50 + protection on it, it's great and lightweight too for the trips o he beach etc.. , ice blocks are a good thing to have in, plus ice pops great for all ages for a quick hit of coldness, eskis,cool boboxes well that's what we do anyway

:)

Guest Chris_J

Izzy has factor 50 swim suits and 50 hat and I always use factor 50+ on her too and like to keep it topped up best I can. Plenty of juice watered down. I'm not sure but I believe it is illegal to leave a child unattended in a car even at the petrol station, and also bear in mind the temp in the car can rise to 70c very very quickly in summer when filling up i.e. minutes. Get them to wear sunglasses too if they will, uv is very bad for your eyes too. My daughter refuses to wear sunglasses but she's too young to tell either so it's a peaked cap at least.