• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Reynella East, SA
      181 times
      What a wonderful post!

I am so touched that you shared that... Thank you

Really lovely to read Rachiegarlo, thank you. Makes me feel very humble and puts a lot of my worries into perspective. We do have a lot to be thankful for, with technology today it makes the move that bit easier

Wynn Vale
      160 times

Smile My GGG Uncle migrated in 1848 to Adelaide

Henry Darling 1825-1909
      Henry Darling was born the second child and eldest son of Benjamin and Sarah Darling. He was born in Worcester, England on 7th December 1825. Little is known of Henry’s early life other than he was one of 12 children and his father was a cordwainer (shoemaker).
      In the 1841 census, Henry aged 15 was recorded as an apprentice tailor and lived with his parents in Diglis Street, Worcester.
      In 1843 Henry married Rosina Orsmond in the parish Church of St George, Hanover Square, London, England.
      Four and a half years after their marriage Henry and Rosina together with their two young daughters Grace aged 3 ½ and Ida aged 1 ¾ set sail for Australia on the SS Sibella departing London on the 6th April 1848 and arriving in Port Adelaide, south Australia on the 16th July 1848.
      Their first child born in Australia was a son George born 6 months after their arrival. Henry and rosina had eight children, the last pregnancy being twins.
      In 1856 the Pauperism List of Wives on Relief – due to husbands at the Gold Diggings, has record number 304 as Rosina Darling, so Henry must have tried his hand at Gold prospecting. It would seem he may have been successful judging by the amount of land he purchased in later years.
      Henry purchased a parcel of land number 31 at Medindie in 1873 for the sum of £250, the land fronted Main North Road and was approximately five acres in area. The memorial for the mortgage of the land states a sum of £50 was to be expended on a dwelling within six months of the purchase date. This could have been the house Henry and Rosina lived in on Main North Road. The Walkerville rate assessment records 1876-1877 for Main North Road, Medindie has record number 249 as Henry Darling owning a four room cottage and sheds on ½ acres with rate value of £12, the next assessment record 250 as Benjamin Darling 2 ½ acres of fenced land rate value £2, record 248 as Three room cottage owned by Henry Darling and occupied by George Darling rate value £8.
      The land was re-mortgaged in 1877 for the sum of £260 with the proviso it was to be repaid by 19th January 1881. The money received for this mortgage was probably used to subdivide the land and build the four houses in "Darling Street" which were named Grace, Ida, Dalia and Rose. Three houses are still standing today (2008).

I Hope you found this story of early migrants interesting, Henry migrated to Adelaide not knowing what the future held for him and his family. This year 160 years later a family get together will be held in Adelaide by many of Henry's descendants. Last year we were lucky enough to attend the 2007 gathering along with over 60 others.

This shows that if he made it all those years ago I'm certain we can, although we may not be lucky enough to have a street named after us. We do have the name, so can always pretend.

Martin and Val

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Australia Migration Forums