10 weeks in & I know im home!

Guest Paula H

Guest Paula H

Hi all,

I am guilty of being 'one of those' who post on here non stop in the build up to coming and once here, settle in quickly and hardly come on.

So after being here 10 weeks and only just getting broadband (don't ask), I promised myself I would come on here and post about life in oz.

IT IS FANTASTIC!

Kids (12, 10 & 3) have settled in brilliantly.

The aussies & the aussie kids use the words 'crap' and 'bloody' ALL the time - so get used to it.

Hubby found work after two weeks here and (touch wood) is still working, although still on a casual basis but fingers crossed work will stay busy and he will be perm soon.

We felt at home immediately. We have made some life long friends and I think that has helped a lot.

Get a car, you have to drive EVERYWHERE. There is loads to do in Adelaide though!

Petrol is cheap, meat is of great quality and is reasonable, electronics are cheap, clothes (Big W) are reasonable, alcohol - dont drink (thank god), cereal is bloody expensive, you can find deals though if you shop about at cheap as cheaps, reject shop etc. Ive found that Woollies is the cheapest food wise, fruit - shop about, its bloody dear.

I am now looking for work, ive started cleaning in between applying for something permanent which I hope will happen soon.

I think ive covered most, I have waffled enough, sorry if I have bored you all but I really wanted to post.

To summarise: ADELAIDE IS HEAPS GOOD! :smile:

Awww so pleased to hear you are settling in well and loving it all so far. Sounds like it ticks your boxes as a family :smile:

I quite understand about not having so much time to log in once the move is made. But we do love to hear updates so be sure you stop by from time to time. I've enjoyed following your story as you've made all the plans to migrate.

I can't wait for our move next (UK) summer. As much as I am happy here I just feel in limbo now and want to be gone and getting on with life in Aus. Still, we've plenty to do before we move and places and people to visit and the like so that'll be good. I'm looking forward to the change of scene and the next chapter of our lives being over there that's for sure.

Guest Cornish Pasties

So good to hear such a positive post & that all your family have settled in well! We are due to arrive in Adelaide 8th Jan & are all now getting very excited.....especially can't wait to get away from all this cold, wet weather we are having lol.

Good luck with the job hunt x

Great post and thanks for taking the time to write it. Made me smile about the "bloody" thing - a while ago Australia had a tourism ad with Lara Bingle (ah, great aussie icon!) saying "Where the bloody hell are you?" and couldn't understand when some of the other english-speaking countries raised their eyebrows a little, so yes, perfectly acceptable language here. While we're on the subject - I almost spat my tea when someone on TV at 7pm the other day said she was "drowning in spunk" - but the word means "hunky men" here! The other word - which I can't even bring myself to write here but which rhymes with 'anchor' and beings with a 'w'- is also not considered a swearword here - go figure!!

Check out central market if you haven't already done so for fruit and stuff - park in the multistorey over the top whichis the cheapest place - costs about $4 but you can easily save that much because the prices are so much lower than the supermarkets. Or go on Saturday lunchtime when they start reducing things (I think they shut around 3ish) for even better bargains.

Anyway, hope you keep enjoying yourself xx

Guest AngPhil

I've beem here 4 months now, live just round the corner from Paula and we also love it. Both our boys (12 and 9) have settled so well, we have made some fantastic friends and feel like we are home.

The swearing/not swearing is funny, I keep telling my sons mates off for saying crap and bloody in front of my youngest. They think I'm mental!

Both me and hubby have got jobs quickly, mine starts in Feb (teacher, so new academic year). The price of used cars came as a BIG shock, but they seem to be in really goid condition.

I really struggled about the move in the UK and it felt like I spent the last 6 months crying. But it is worth it 100%, not had 1 regret :)

Guest Paula H

Been central market, went again today actually, you can get some cheap items, I got all of my nieces and nephews a t shirt or xmas which was cheap. Only some of the fruit was cheaper but a lot of it was the same as the supermarkets.

rego stings you every three months

havent had water bill yet or gas, had one lecy bill which wasnt too bad but am making everyone (other than me) stick to the 2 minute rule lol.

On a really good note, it is snowing in the UK and will be 28 here tomoz hehehehe

Guest guest8040

Glad you mentioned the bloody thing in your post Paula. Took the kids to see Rise of the Guardians today. The Easter Bunny said bloody twice much to the horror of my 7 year old who said 'the Easter Bunny has done a swear!' I confidently explained it away as he is voiced by Hugh Jackman and carries a boomerang in the film so I just said 'it's not a swear in Australia', don't know what I would have come up with had I not been armed with that information!

Guest leeannekays

Hi All, it's so nice to read all these posts.

We have been here almost 8 months now and we love it. Our life has changed so much and all or the better. We feel at home here and we are so glad we worked hard and made the move. We are having our first visitor in 5 weeks, my mum and she can not wait to come and spend time with us. I can not wait either.

We have made some lovely friends and we do so much out doors as a family. Every weekend is jam packed and by Monday we are all exhausted. What a great way to live.

Leeanne xx

Guest miraclebabycaw

Where abouts are you staying Paula? Glad to hear it gets better. Been here 1w today and still feel so totally out of my depth its not funny. Loving the freedom but feel so tired all the time..hope it will pass soon. Started looking for a house today, not much available in the 4+ bedroomed at a decent price YIKES. Have no idea on where hubby and I are going to find work but ultimately I am in IT and he is in banking so probably city centre. Had a look at Flagstaff Hill today which was really nice, but pricey. Anyone got suggestions on a decent area with a decent commute to the city or outskirts? So far we have liked areas like flagstaff hill, Hallett Cove (think still a bit far from the city although not much further south than Flagstaff I know), fulham gardens. Did not like areas around Brighton although Somerton Park didn't look too bad, and wasn't too keen on linden park either..very expensive. Going to see Stirling and that side within the next day or two but don't want to go into the hills too much as my mother is with us, and she cannot take the cold at all and I know it gets cold in winter in the hills. We like more "leafy" areas if that makes any sense.

On the language issue, haven't heard bloody or crap out of any mouths, all have been awesome, except for the chap we bought a car from, every second word was Jesus or Jesus Christ....and he was a Brit. My kids (12 and 6) were wide eyed the whole time. So different to the other guy we saw who was an Aussie...said "bummer" once and apologized immediately...guess it takes all sorts LOL.