We're here...!! Now what to do for childcare?!

Guest Fulvio

Guest Fulvio

Well we've arrived, and I think I've landed right in the middle of a patch of heaven! We went straight from the airport to our rental place in North Glenelg, which we'd managed to sort out totally from the UK - and amazingly it's lovely, just right for us :-). While my wife and kids slept through their jet lag I went off to get phones with Internet, a car and beds! One week later and we also have sofas, armchairs, white goods and a barbecue - which we christened with friends yesterday. I've started work and love it, and get to have the most gorgeous 8 mile cycle there and back every day. I'm loving it!

My wife, not so much. For the few days before I started work it was like the most fantastic holiday but now she's left looking after the kids the whole time - aged 2 & 3. She's seriously desperate not to be a children's entertainer! I found the number for a Kidstart close to us, and after a visit today it sounded awful - ratio of 10:1 kids to adults, dirty place, dirty fighting feral children, nothing resembling an educational programme - all a bit lord of the flies.

So after a long-winded intro, can anyone give us any advice? We're looking for day care options for a (just) 2 and nearly 4 year old. Is there a GOOD nursery/kindergarten somewhere? Someone recommended a nanny - where do you find these/what should you ask? Even a babysitter do we can actually leave the house after 7.30 would be a start!!

Good suggestions would be so appreciated - i really want the whole family to live their time here as much as I do!!

Thanks all,

F

I am moving to Adelaide in July and I am finding it difficult arranging childcare for when we arrive to allow us to both go out and work. I have contacted a number of places and some of them have told me that they won't have places available until 2014!!! It looks like I will need to work during the day and my OH at night or weekends.

Hi. Have a look at the local community centre they have Kinder gym, mothers groups etc.. On the forum there are moms that get together with the kids a great way to meet other families. Not sure what childcare centres are in the Glenelg area. I'm sure someone on here will be able to help you on where to go. Good luck with everything. Tamara

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Baxterclan

Hi,

My husband and I moved to the UK in October and one of my priorities was finding Child care for my 2 older boys aged 31/2 and 18months as we were expecting number 3 any minute! I looked at http://www.Careforkids.com.au which gives you all the childcare options, where they are locally etc. Don't pay too much attention to the vacancies though because when I started calling I found they were not very accurate. For example the one they now attend said they only had places on a Monday but when I went to have a look around they said they could fit both of them in any days I wanted (maybe they felt sorry for me as the baby was due in a couple of days and I was About to pop!).

Anyway they now go a couple of days a week and are loving it. The staff are lovely and they both seem really happy and look forward to going each day. Otherwise playgroups are good (most start up again this week) and the libraries have info about other things going on. I have also found that the staff at CaFHS which is where I have taken the bub and kids for their immunisations and developmental checks are really helpful and have heaps of contacts (they are the equivalent of the health visiting service in the Uk)

Hope some of this is helpful

Lou

Guest hectorvector

Hi

Arrived 5mths ago and found it quite hard finding good childcare. It really pays to turn up unannounced to a few centres and have a look as the quality can vary a lot over a small area.

We've finally found one that were happy with but it has taken all this time.

I can recommend cambelltown childcare if anyone's out this way

Guest Allybinoz42

Camden park childcare centre is a good one. Join waiting list then call and keep In touch regularly to get a place, there are longish waiting lists for care. If you persist you should get a place, but may take time.

Try ringing your local kindergarten, some kindys will offer what is known as occasional care, which is a 2.5 hours session per week for a very low cost (around $5 per child) your 4 year old should be starting kindy soon too?

nearer the city, the childcare centres seem to be full, but further south seems to have no dramas with vacancies - how far do you want to travel. I looked at many centres and am happy with the one my daughter is at.

Edit: I notice you are only here for 6 months, if you are not happy with the childcare options around, is there anyway your wife can bear to just be at home with the kids for that time, maybe look on it as a bonus 6 months to spend quality time with them? If not, how about looking at an au pair? maybe a person on a WHV visa that you feel comfortable with who could live in for free in exchange for babysitting/children entertainer duties?

Not sure of your visa type, but I would imagine you wouldn't be eligible for centrelink, so would be paying $75+ per day per child for childcare. Occasional care might be your best bet,

Hope you get sorted

Edited by foxychick

At the risk of sounding horribly rude and possibly off topic - why did you have two children relatively close together and then remove yourself from the support network you presumably had if neither of you wanted to be "full-time children's entertainers" (possibly otherwise known as parents)?

Although as a little bit of help - I don't have children young enough to be in need of childcare (mine are 11, 10 & 7) but I have seen loads of groups offered - through the library, at local centres, and church playgroups. I'm sure there are hundreds of others out there but given that you've only been here a month I suggest you go to it slowly and work your way around getting to know your area.

Edited by flossybeth
spelling

Hi Fulvio

I'm sorry that your wife is struggling, I think all us mums can agree that early motherhood can be a surprisingly isolating experience at the best of times, so I can only imagine how much harder it is during the early stages of being in a different country with no contacts, whilst hubby disappears all day to work!

We are landing in Adelaide at the end of Feb, and forming networks is top of my priority as the mother of a tornado in a little boys body! I think meeting other mums with young kids is the way forward, especially if finding good childcare may take some time, as well as going to the play groups as the others have suggested, could your wife join the PIA forum, its the quickest way to make supportive contacts, well, I've been very lucky and have had great responses from lovely people to my posts. (thank you PIA folk!) I'd be happy to get in touch with your wife, emigration is a massive transition (even more so when bringing young children) and we really should all be supporting each other.

xx