Terrified

Guest guest8040

Guest guest8040

Well it's time for my quarterly thread twisting about how scary this whole process is. We leave in 13 weeks and I'm crepe-ing my pants. Its an awfully isolating experience as you can't share your feelings with those you normally would (parents, friends) as they don't want you to go. Me and my OH keep our feelings from one another too as we don't want to set the other one off on a worse wobble than they're already on! I thought bringing a new life into the world was a huge decision this is on an entirely bigger level. Just hope it is worth it and if anything my bleating may make any of you out there feeling the same, feel better!

Hi have just read your post n have to say you are not alone my friend !

I am going in 14 weeks, a month ahead of my family to sort job, house n schools !! Yes its hard not being able to discuss with family but we just keep focusing on the positive n the bigger picture .....

Dean

It is a very scary process but also very exciting too. All of us that have arrived have been there and know how your feeling. Personally I think it's important that you let each other know how your feeling. It's important that you pick each other up when your worried or down.Sometimes you will both feel the same but your in it together and will be surprised at how that helps you both on your journey. Hiding how you feel even from eachother may lead to you both feeeling very isolated and overwhelmed when you arrive. Find strength in talking and supporting each other as your new life and amazing adventure is just around the corner. Good luck.

Guest Guest75

You'll be fine!!!!

Natural to have misgiving/doubts/absolute terror.

Also natural to think about the good things to come / challenges/ change in life style and why you are making the move!!!!

Talk to each other as well - especially over a bottle of Aussie wine!!!

Guest guest8040

Yeah the big picture is there behind the haze of stress and emotions! I honestly hope the build up / countdown is the worse bit. Where you staying when you land?

At the moment in a tent! trying to find somewhere for me until I find long term rental. Looking at all options, holiday let, camper van, need a cheap option. Long term looking at crafters, Stirling ECT.

What about you?

Guest guest8040

Thanks everyone we try to talk but then confession of a fear is often something the other one hasn't thought of and then that's added to their list! We're staying in port noarlunga for 5 weeks Dean and panicking about finding jobs, long term rental and schools.

Guest guest8040

I wish there was room bud we've had problems sorting our house here and are bringing much less money than anticipated so we've changed our 3 bed rental with a pool to a 2 bed smaller property! I'm the female part of the relationship but my husband would be up for a beer with anyone and I could come along for a wine with kids on tow!

Everything you are feeling is quite normal for such a giant move - and those last few months are a massive drain. We found we were torn between untangling our UK lives, trying to work on the Australia stuff and also making the most of seeing friends and family. It was pretty insane looking back on it. There is so much that is unknown and I look back and think - how did we get through it.

It's a tough time to be moving over here too - UK houses prices down, exchange rate shocking and Australia's cost of living is not the dream it once was so congratulate yourself on having some serious gumption to swim against the flow and give it a go.

We've been here 6 months and things are coming together well - I think once you get here it gets a little easier as you are just then focused on the one goal rather than coping with all the emotional turmoil of the leaving part. We came with no jobs and little idea of what to expect....but we've had our first Christmas here and very much enjoying the lovely summer weather and the new opportunities that are presenting themselves. As far as places to rent go, we've started modest too and that's working out well for us, a little bit of a squeeze with 3 children, but on one salary we couldn't really afford much more for the moment.

Best of luck.

We leave in ten weeks and although we have had scary thoughts we have now settled and are just excited. Remember you are taking a massive step but what an adventure it will be. Many of your friends and family who may think you brave or crazy would happily swap places with you.

a tip from me is to keep a diary, it has helped me and the kids. We started it 1/1 and it's entitled 'Our year if adventure'. Kids are 7 & 9 and love writing what they have done and can look back on it in years to come as the year of their childhood that changed the direction of their lives forever. Cheesy I know but almost therapeutic to write.

It's good to be nervous/frightened as it may stop you wasting money on trivial/unimportant things before you're fully settled and running on your own steam instead of relying on the cash you bring with you.

The ancients say, "journey of thousand mile is taken one step at a time, not necessarily in same direction".

Guest moonraker1959

Everytime you get a panic on,just tell yourself "All will be fine".Accept that you can't control everything in the future,but you can control how you deal with it.Good luck,I'm sure all will be fine!:cute: