House break ins??

Guest Kel87

Reading a thread on PIO regarding house break ins lead me to do a search here and the most recent thread I could find was from 2010 and I must admit I was quite shocked reading through it and the amount of break ins!

Are those of you living there finding house break ins common?

My biggest fear is this happening to me especially the ones where you are at home in bed when they do it!

The thread from 2010 seemed to say there was a lot of break ins around the seaford areas.

Giving me the shudders even thinking about it!

Just looking for up to date views on this.

Edited by Kel87

We live in Surrey Downs and our house was broken into in October when were out for the night, it's not a nice feeling at all and the security on our rental is zero, even though the agent and landlady know we were broken into they have done nothing to make the house more secure, when you're looking for a rental ask the agent what security measures the house has like an alarm system, locks on the windows etc.

It is very upsetting and due to the agent/landlords total lack of regard for our safety or anything that requires fixing in the house we will be looking to move once our year is up and next time will choose a rental more carefully :)

We live in Surrey Downs and our house was broken into in October when were out for the night, it's not a nice feeling at all and the security on our rental is zero, even though the agent and landlady know we were broken into they have done nothing to make the house more secure, when you're looking for a rental ask the agent what security measures the house has like an alarm system, locks on the windows etc.

It is very upsetting and due to the agent/landlords total lack of regard for our safety or anything that requires fixing in the house we will be looking to move once our year is up and next time will choose a rental more carefully :)

I wonder what newer places are generally like for security? All of the older properties that we've looked at are pretty shocking....and I don't just means in terms of security. And by older, I mean 70's style. Would be better built if they had used Lego instead.

If you go onto the SAPOL web site they now release current crime figures for each suburb.

lets be honest they happen here as they do at home, they are events that cause massive upheaval for the victims.

thankfully here the sentences imposed upon those convicted are a lot more severe than in the UK.

you can also contact the crime prevention unit at your local police station who can come out and undertake a crime reduction survey.

little things help reduce the risks...

Guest Guest5035

We got done around 8 years ago, my daughter in her newish house got done 5 weeks ago, even with a alarm and screens, screwdriver in the side of the glass door shattered it, in they went ripped out the alarm screamer then the globe outside, so simple. the forensic cop said on days and arvo shift around 12 a day are reported. They even took hubbies car and loaded it up with stuff.

stevo

I wonder what newer places are generally like for security? All of the older properties that we've looked at are pretty shocking....and I don't just means in terms of security. And by older, I mean 70's style. Would be better built if they had used Lego instead.

There not much better they are built as cheap as possible so most outside doors are hollow core a sheet of duracote on the outside carboard eggbox in the middle and a sheet of duracote on the inside. the frames are mostly just mdf as well.One kick and the lock will still be in place but nothing left of the door.Window locks are plastic held in place by about 2mm of aluiminum.

There not much better they are built as cheap as possible so most outside doors are hollow core a sheet of duracote on the outside carboard eggbox in the middle and a sheet of duracote on the inside. the frames are mostly just mdf as well.One kick and the lock will still be in place but nothing left of the door.Window locks are plastic held in place by about 2mm of aluiminum.

As I feared!!!! I'll start collecting Lego.

Edited by zebedee

Given the shocking state of security on what seems like most houses here I'm suprised there aren't more break ins...

You get break-ins here as you do anywhere else - in some areas more than others but nowhere is immune. IMHO there generally isn't the press coverage of crime here, so it can seem that there's less of it, but there are plenty of anecdotes to the contrary. Two people at work recently mentioned they'd suffered break-ins, and interestingly neither bothered to report it because they felt it was pointless (I read recently that SA has the highest rate of unreporting of crime in the country, but I'm not sure how such data is gathered). Weatherill recently said that South Australians have 'never been safer' but when polled, over 75% of people disagreed with him. Take a look at this article, and in particular the comments - there's a definite sense of frustration about crime:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/opinion/inexorably-adelaides-public-spaces-are-being-overrun-by-troublemakers/story-e6freagu-1226495641171

Tougher sentences is a vexed issue because while there should be punishment for crime (if the justice system won't punish, don't be surprised if victims take retribution themselves ...) and a deterrent, the prison system has a track record of producing even better criminals ...

Perhaps Diane's advice of getting a dog is the best answer!

Jim

Guest Guest5035

when we got broke into they gave our dog 2 mars bars, that kept him quiet:huh:, also the forensic cop said on a recent break in they were called to the owners dog was half beaten to death.

If they want to break in they will, even heard going via the slates off the roof and in through the ceiling..just make sure you have GOOD insurance.

Stevo

when we got broke into they gave our dog 2 mars bars, that kept him quiet:huh:,

That made me laugh, that's the type of guard dog I'd end up with lol! I come from what is known as one of the roughest part of Glasgow and I haven't heard of a house break in for years, maybe I just don't speak to enough people and if it was on a forum like this I might hear of it more.

Its just a bit concerning that already with so few people replying to this thread they have already been broken into or know someone who has!

It is a huge worry of mine, I'm not even worried about getting broken into when we're out and losing all our stuff, it's more the doing it when home thing!....think I watch too much csi and criminal minds!! Don't fancy being murdered when moving for a better life :biglaugh:

I even sleep with a fork under my pillow when my husbands out at night! Yes a fork! No idea what I'd do with that lol!

Knowing what yous know of adelaide and break ins, would you have thought twice about moving for that reason? Or does it just sound worse than it is when it's on a forum like this?

Edited by Kel87

Guest Guest5035

when i left nottingham it had 350,000 people living there, Adelaide metro has 1 million, but a third less crime than Nottingham, if your numbers up...... your numbers up.

stevo

I don't want to tempt fate, but we feel reasonably secure in our current rental. The majority of the residents in this street are retired, very friendly and neighbourly, at home during the day, and they notice everything that's going on. The guy next door is out in his garden most of the day too. We had a similar retired/gardening/neighbourhood-watch type at a previous house, living just across the road, who I'm sure watched every car coming and going into the cul-de-sac, so we knew we were pretty safe!!! But break-ins can happen anywhere and a lot of it is down to luck. We park my husband's grotty Commodore on the drive so hopefully nobody will think we've got anything worth stealing!

Last year I stayed with my twin who lives in Greenwith.She was out one morning working,whilst I stayed home.All of a sudden I heard screaming/crying.I went to the front door to investigate.A lady across the road had come home with her young son to find their house had been burgled whilst they were out.A passerby had stopped to ask if they were ok.I was quite shocked actually.What was very sad though is they wrapped up her sons Xmas presents in HIS duvet and stolen them as well!Bloody scumbags!:mad:Lynsteve:Really sorry to hear about your daughter!Thats just awful!Makes my blood boil tbh!

That made me laugh, that's the type of guard dog I'd end up with lol! I come from what is known as one of the roughest part of Glasgow and I haven't heard of a house break in for years, maybe I just don't speak to enough people and if it was on a forum like this I might hear of it more.

Its just a bit concerning that already with so few people replying to this thread they have already been broken into or know someone who has!

It is a huge worry of mine, I'm not even worried about getting broken into when we're out and losing all our stuff, it's more the doing it when home thing!....think I watch too much csi and criminal minds!! Don't fancy being murdered when moving for a better life :biglaugh:

I even sleep with a fork under my pillow when my husbands out at night! Yes a fork! No idea what I'd do with that lol!

Knowing what yous know of adelaide and break ins, would you have thought twice about moving for that reason? Or does it just sound worse than it is when it's on a forum like this?

Sorry your post made me laugh reading about the fork hon!lol My sister is quite a nervous type person.Recently we were talking on Skype.She is obviously facing the vid camera and has her back to the door of the room she is sitting in ok?She kept turning around to look at the door?I asked why?She said she felt pretty nervous due to the neighbours incident(burglary)and I said jokingly "Well if anyone comes in whilst we're talking,I'll see them before you do,so relax!:biglaugh:

If a robber does enter. You can hold the fork up. Look at him through the tines (prongs) and say "I am imagining you behind bars after you have been nicked!"

I know of people being broken into.

BUT the fact remains it's not common, its just reported more, as there is not many crimes to report in Adelaide, every one is on the news. And many crimes are not random.

In Glasgow not even every murder makes local news!!!

I have heard that there could be a basketball ring being stolen from a driveway soon though....you are being watched!!!!

I have heard that there could be a basketball ring being stolen from a driveway soon though....you are being watched!!!!

:biglaugh::biglaugh:I've also heard that and I'm on the other side of the world!!

Hi Kel87

We're in Rutherglen - moving to Adelaide at the end of Feb.

In the space of last year, our campervan was 'tanned', someone tried to smash their way into the house across the road while they were in their beds, boy in the office had his house burgled, had to collect my sister from Shettleston cos she was terrified by goings-on in her close.

When are you thinking of moving?

Weegie

Hi Kel87

We're in Rutherglen - moving to Adelaide at the end of Feb.

In the space of last year, our campervan was 'tanned', someone tried to smash their way into the house across the road while they were in their beds, boy in the office had his house burgled, had to collect my sister from Shettleston cos she was terrified by goings-on in her close.

When are you thinking of moving?

Weegie

Hi weegie, I'm in Milton! And that's the common as muck Glasgow Milton, not the posh Dumbarton Milton! Lol

sorry to hear about your campervan!

We're hoping to have our visa by the end of this year, depending on money at that point we might be able to go shortly after getting the visa or need to stay another couple months to boost the savings but Definately 2014, earlier the better!

Hope your move goes well! Make sure you post an update when you get there, would nice to see how you settle in :)

Guest AngPhil

Been in Seaford for 6 months. They do a community booklet every so often detailing the different crimes. I can't remember seeing any break ins since we've been here, biggest problem seems to be graffiti. I feel much safer here, but we have moved from Leeds/Bradford area.