Just hit a car - what normally happens next??

star123

Hi just reversed stupidly into neighbour car, i knocked and told them and they were very nice about it, but what happens next??

We do not have fully comp ins, as sold old car, bought new one and totally forgot to sort new car insurance, so as this is disgusting time we have an incident here, what is the normal procedure??

Thank you

Unfortunately, you are liable for the repair of any damage you cause to anyone's property or vehicle.

The SA registration Insurance (CTP) is not third party insurance and covers only compensation for bodily injury to a person, not their vehicle or property. Even then there may be some excess if the driver is more than 25% at fault.

If the damage is minor, then the neighbour usually gets a quote(s) for repair and you pay it.

If it comes to more than the amount of their excess, then in my experience, they will claim through their Insurance company, if they have fully comprehensive insurance, and the Insurance company will send the bill to you or your Insurance Company to recoup their loss.

You can take out Third party Insurance to cover any damage you do, if you can't afford to Comprehensively Insure.

Also not to forget a collision is required to be reported to a police officer by a driver involved in a collision if real or personal property (other than an animal) is destroyed or damaged,

except where:

(a) the only property destroyed or damaged is property owned by the driver; or

(b) a fair estimate of the cost of making good the damage to property is less than $3,000.

Hopefully your accident was only a small one.

[h=1][/h]

Guest Guest5035

thats what the scrotums did to me and my daughters car and numerous other people, its the norm..

now i can walk there its only 5 mins away

stevo

Edited by Guest5035

Normal procedure is play dumb and drive off...

Stevo

Yeah too right....dumb arse system. If you say nothing admit to nothing then you dont pay!!!!!....not saying you will do that cos its wrong, but it happened to me and only a gentle persuasion sorted the issue!.

What others are saying about driving off is so true. My son's car was hit in Cole's carpark, they drove off,(was an old lady) but a witness wrote the number plate down and make of car with description of driver and when my son went to the.police they said there was nothing they could do as his word against hers even though there was a witness willing to testify, absolutely crazy!! His car has since been hit again and once again they drove off.