Can we go outside of Oz

Guest RobJ1978

Guest RobJ1978

Hi all wise ones!

Just wondering if you can help me.

We have been in OZ nearly a year, can we travel to new Zealand? I was about to book tickets and now have thought i remember reading something about needing to be in OZ 2 years due to visa? I don't want to get stopped at the airport!

Thanks

Nic

Not sure about current rules but here's a loop hole that was closed a while back.

In the late 70's, my parents came out for a 6 month visit to a sister who had previously emigrated. Whilst here, they wanted to pop over to NZ to visit my fathers sister. Upon being asked if they were coming back to OZ and the answer in the affirmative, the were given permanent residence status on the spot. After they returned to the UK, they sold up and returned to Oz as permanent residents, no emigration problems what so ever. I wonder how many others got here through the same back door.

Depends what visa you're on. I'm on a 176 skilled sponsored and i can come and go as i please.

In the documentation i received with my visa it states that i'm able to travel in and out of australia as i wish.

Have a look at your documentation.

HTH

As far as I can see you've done medicals and ielts. So you must be a permanent resident. As a PR you can travel as much as you like, you don't have travel restrictions, DU is a free country, as long as you have a valid visa nobody will stop you at the aiport!

It seems to me what confuses you is the '2 years newly arrived waiting period' in terms of getting full 'membership' in Australia (centrelink benefits, concession cards etc.). That applies to the 2 years you heard about.

Also when you want to obtain Australian citizenship you might have to wait a little bit longer due to your absence during your holiday.

I hope I could help you with this confusion.

Hi all.

Ive heard that you can come as go as much as you like until your visa expires. After that if you leave aus you won't get back in unless it is special circumstances.

we arrived in. June 2012, our 176 visa expires in 4 years time, after that time if we left we might not be able to get back in unless we become citizens or we are leaving because of a death in the family or something similar.

this is just what I've heard but your best bet is to check with the DIAC

andy