Passport and visa advice please for trip back to the UK

lorluc

My daughter is returning to the UK for a months holiday later on this year, and we're just trying to make sure she has the correct travel documents.

Her UK passport run out couple of years ago, and she is an australian citizen so entitled to an australian passport. Ideally she wants to get both, but 2 passports is alot of money!!!

If she gets an australian passport to travel into the UK with, will she need a visitor visa? I found something on the net which said she didnt, but just wanted to clarify.

And correct me please if i'm wrong, but i am pretty sure that she will definitely need to return to Australia on an australian passport as she is a citizen and not a visa holder anymore.

She is also thinking that whilst she is in the UK, she will apply for her UK passport...hell of alot cheaper to do it there than over here...and if it its not back to her whilst she is there, then get family to post it over...is that possible to do?

My daughter is doing exactly the same at the moment! She went in January with a current aussie and an expired UK passport - got in no trouble!

If your daughter has Australian citizenship she has to get an Australian passport. Her visa was effectively cancelled when she got her citizenship so if she doesn't she won't be able to come back! (Well, she will but it will be no end of hassle!!)

She can carry her UK passport with her - when she gets to England, if she wants to go through the UK citizens queue (if its shorter) she can do so just with her expired passport - as long as she has a valid document that she is travelling on (her aussie one). The fact she has a UK passport - though expired - is enough to prove that she is a UK citizen and doesn't need a visa to enter and work there.

I don't know if Lucy has got round to renewing her UK passport yet - but it certainly doesn't seem to be stopping her getting work or anything like that.

Edited by Diane

Thanks for this info. Is it really cheaper to renew a UK passport there rather than here? We are hopefully going back for a holiday soon and both my son's passports have expired, we are getting him another Australian one and I wasn't going to bother with the UK one, but may now get one when we are over there.

But rip-off Australia - a new adult Australian passport (husband's has expired) $238, new UK passport £72.50 (approx $107).:arghh:

Yes it is cheaper to renew your UK passport in the UK. My younger daughter has got her first new adult passport there, when her child's one ran out and my older daughter had to get one when hers was stolen. Funnily enough, older daughter couldn't remember all the info, but they still accepted her application, unlike here where you can be made to jump through hoops by the agency involved :D

Guest patsmb
My daughter is returning to the UK for a months holiday later on this year, and we're just trying to make sure she has the correct travel documents.

Her UK passport run out couple of years ago, and she is an australian citizen so entitled to an australian passport. Ideally she wants to get both, but 2 passports is alot of money!!!

If she gets an australian passport to travel into the UK with, will she need a visitor visa? I found something on the net which said she didnt, but just wanted to clarify.

And correct me please if i'm wrong, but i am pretty sure that she will definitely need to return to Australia on an australian passport as she is a citizen and not a visa holder anymore.

She is also thinking that whilst she is in the UK, she will apply for her UK passport...hell of alot cheaper to do it there than over here...and if it its not back to her whilst she is there, then get family to post it over...is that possible to do?

As long as she has a return ticket she will get into the UK without problems and yes she does have to leave and re-enter Oz on her Aussie passport Our Aussie granddaughter applied for her UK passport in the UK and it only took 2 weeks mind we might just have been lucky