Top Loading Washing Machine - help!

aliogilvie

I forgot that top loading washing machines seem to be the norm here. I HATE THEM :arghh:

Since arriving the one cause of stress in our short term rental has been this vile machine and it has provoked a considerable amount of swearing to boot. Can anyone tell me what the hell the water level thing is? We have no idea how to decide what the level should be and the manual just says "to avoid leaking choose the appropriate water level" - needless to say I spend a lot of time mopping up after the evil machine has leaked everywhere. Three loads of washing done and two have resulted in water all over the floor with no rhyme or reason - how does one decide on where the water level should be set? We have low, medium or high - only medium seemed to stop it with a big load the first time but high stopped it with the same size load just - am I missing something?!

Honestly, I am so glad our bathroom is tiled. Stupid machine.

Edited by aliogilvie
spelling correction

Guest Claire-n-tel

Hi!

Sorry cant help on the water level thing.....never did work that one out! Someone will be along soon that can help tho! Thankgoodness i'm back to a good old front loader now :)

Trial and error and dont worry about water it is a wet area , its designed for it.......if you have any really nice favourite clothes I would hand wash rather than have em destroyed by top loader , but thats my opinion :)

Guest Claire-n-tel
Trial and error and dont worry about water it is a wet area , its designed for it.......if you have any really nice favourite clothes I would hand wash rather than have em destroyed by top loader , but thats my opinion :)

yep i'd second that! oh and if you want anything actually clean i'd hand was them too :biglaugh:

I forgot that top loading washing machines seem to be the norm here. I HATE THEM :arghh:

Since arriving the one cause of stress in our short term rental has been this vile machine and it has provoked a considerable amount of swearing to boot. Can anyone tell me what the hell the water level thing is? We have no idea how to decide what the level should be and the manual just says "to avoid leaking choose the appropriate water level" - needless to say I spend a lot of time mopping up after the evil machine has leaked everywhere. Three loads of washing done and two have resulted in water all over the floor with no rhyme or reason - how does one decide on where the water level should be set? We have low, medium or high - only medium seemed to stop it with a big load the first time but high stopped it with the same size load just - am I missing something?!

Check with the owner of the short term rental. That sounds weird, we have a top loader at home (although I prefer the front loader too). If we set it on high by mistake it just means that we waste more water than we need to. It could be the machine is faulty. (Unless you are putting too many clothes in - with the toploaders you are meant to leave some room for the clothes to move - whereas I think with the front loaders it doesn't matter so much ....)

Guest Helchops
I find them easy to use ,small amount of washing = Low water ,medium load = medium water ,Big load = high water. Our new top loader works out its own water level.

Ditto...I love my top loader!! Our previous front loader used to trap clothes in the space between the door and the drum and rip them to shreds!

Argh you poor thing!! Can't you sling it in the garage and buy a front loader? My in-laws in NZ have a top loader and I hate using it - nothing is ever really clean and I always have some mis-shapen casualty by the time we get home!

I always use medium for the water level but only because I have no idea so just go for the middle option!

Do you mean water leaks from top or bottom of machine, or is water coming up through the drain in the floor, making the floor wet? If it one of the first two, then there is a problem with the machine and the landlord should get it repaired. They do have a filter on the back somewhere on the hoses which may need to be cleaned or the hoses may not be tight enough. If water is coming up the drain in the floor this means too much detergent is being put into the load. The following tips on correct use of top loaders may help with cleaning and clothes care.

Place clothes in first, loosely with each item bunched, not wrapped around the washer. Do not keep stuffing them in by pushing down, this overloads the machine and they can't move freely to wash and won't clean or rinse well. The machine is full when the clothes naturally reach just below the top, with no pushing in.

Add a small amount of top loader detergent. You can get away with less than the recommended amount for lightly soiled clothes. If water and suds come up the drain, use less detergent next time. Towels require only about 1/3 of the recommended amount. You will learn how much is needed and save money on detergent.

Set the water level according to how many clothes you have in the machine as others have suggested.

Start the wash..........then add that odd sock you find on the bedroom floor (the great advantage of top loaders)

The clothes should be clean and the floor dry. If not review detergent use, check hoses and filters and if these are all OK, get it repaired or replaced. If the Landlord isn't helpful, this link may be useful

http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Housing,+property+and+land/Renting+and+letting/Finding+a+place+to+rent/Lease+agreements,+and+landlord+and+tenant+responsibilities/Dispute+resolution+for+landlords+and+tenants+in+private+rental

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...