NEW TV DOCUMENTARY PROJECT - are you a British expat thinking of moving home?

Guest Chloe at OutlineTV

Guest Chloe at OutlineTV

Are you a British Expat living abroad?

Are you thinking of returning to the UK?

Leaving the UK to live and work abroad could be the best decision you have ever made and you never want to come back to Blighty. However, being away from home, family and friends and in a new culture isn’t necessarily for everyone. If you are considering moving back to the UK, for whatever reason, we would like to hear from you!

Award-winning Outline Productions are developing an exciting new documentary series about expat life - and are looking for Brits living abroad, who are considering coming home and open to sharing their views and experiences with us.

If this sounds like you, or you’d just like to find out more, please contact Chloe Seddon on:

chloes@outlineproductions.co.uk OR 0044 207 4247660

• 4 weeks later...
Are you a British Expat living abroad?

Are you thinking of returning to the UK?

Leaving the UK to live and work abroad could be the best decision you have ever made and you never want to come back to Blighty. However, being away from home, family and friends and in a new culture isn’t necessarily for everyone. If you are considering moving back to the UK, for whatever reason, we would like to hear from you!

Award-winning Outline Productions are developing an exciting new documentary series about expat life - and are looking for Brits living abroad, who are considering coming home and open to sharing their views and experiences with us.

If this sounds like you, or you’d just like to find out more, please contact Chloe Seddon on:

chloes@outlineproductions.co.uk OR 0044 207 4247660

How much are you paying? Is it an hourly/daily rate? Or a set amount? Do you cover the relocation costs?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest gillalexhowat

Hi,

We are a family of 8 who moved to Oz for 5 years and have been back in the UK for 2 years now, our eldest however remained in Adelaide ! We have started getting pining feelings for the great Oz and have ummed and arrred about the prospect of returning in the future lol.

I think you may be looking for people still in Oz so I will leave it there, but if your interested in knowing more about our story feel free to ask.

Gillian Howat

Shrewsbury,UK

Hi,

We are a family of 8 who moved to Oz for 5 years and have been back in the UK for 2 years now, our eldest however remained in Adelaide ! We have started getting pining feelings for the great Oz and have ummed and arrred about the prospect of returning in the future lol.

I think you may be looking for people still in Oz so I will leave it there, but if your interested in knowing more about our story feel free to ask.

Gillian Howat

Shrewsbury,UK

Why not share your story on this forum? Others might find it interesting and helpful.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Dkkgal

Hi Gillian

So good to find a family with similar circumstances.

Immigration and Emigration is so unsettling especially leaving family behind, I think that I find really difficult to manage.

I returned to the UK as had been living in Perth for 12 years as a single mom with my daughter Georgina. She got a medical placement in Adelaide so I followed much to her horror. I just loved Adelaide, the fact that it takes 10 minutes to the beach and 15 minutes to the hills. I returned to the UK for various reasons however realised soon after arriving that the move was wrong. I am seriously thinking of moving back however need to make sure I have enough resources to manage. I have a small bookkeeping business here so will hopefully do the same there or get a job .

Would love to hear your story and reasons for wanting to go back. Your eldest you must miss. Would you consider going back to Adelaide?

Deirdre Kelly

Guest Dkkgal

Often one needs to return to your roots to find out what you really liked about the place you relocated to. Moving is so costly . My only advice is take your time deciding

• 4 months later...

Yes, I agree, it is a HUGE decision and very unsettling for some. My husband moved out here 24 years ago and has never looked back and loved it from day one. However, after we married 6 years ago, I came out here and loathed it! It took me a year to recover from the depression of leaving my family behind and I took 3 holidays back home to cope in those initial 2.5 years until my permanent residency came through. My husband was hoping that I would absolutely love it here but I felt so flat back then and incredibly homesick. What made it worse was that my grown up daughters resented me for leaving them and relations became very strained. 3 out of 4 of my children are accepting of my decision to live here but one of my daughters Is still very cool towards me and resentful.

Because of all this we now ping pong back to the UK every six months for six months so our time is divided equally. I do like this lifestyle choice but it is very expensive and my daughter still resents the whole thing.

So, there is no way I would live here permanently but all in all, a great lifestyle here but then again, going back to the Uk every year is an absolute joy!

They wont pay anything I wouldn't imagine, they just want to use you, we were interviewed for a show over here that was coming from the UK they expected you to do everything to suit them it was left that we were to meet them over here they paid nothing not even for your time, turned out they were filming before we arrived so we never did get in still never know if it ever aired x

• 5 months later...
Guest Missbabz

Hi guys. My husband and I lived in Adelaide for nearly 5 years and returned back to uk almost two years ago. It's been so so hard to settle. Even though our three grown children and families are here. We miss so much of the chilled out way of life in Auz and of course the weather but mostly the social side of life. We made so many lovely friends and coming back to uk we have found ourselves quite lonely. We decided to come back to Adelaide and my husband has now been offered a job and we should be very happy, although will still miss our family her in uk. It's not the same coming back to UK. friends move on without you and hard to slot back in. People in uk aren't open and welcoming. Well that's our experience. We have felt isolated since returning to uk. Love the family but need to have a life of our own also. My husband should start work in a couple of months time. Just found out today we can't bring our dogs over for 6 months. So in a dilemma to what to do. Don't want my husband to go without me or he to leave me here. Have no one who could look after dogs for 6 months either. So sad might have to find them new homes. What to do? Any help please if anyone has been in a similar situation having to leave pets behind. Xxxxx will appreciate your input. Babz x

Guest Missbabz

Hi Deirdre. Wondered how you are getting on with your decision. We all seem to have difficult decisions to make. Did you go back to Adelaide yet?

Guest Missbabz

Hi cassis. Your story is so very similar to ours. I have three grown children here in uk, now with grandchildren. They didn't understand us moving to Australia and now we've come back to uk have been happy. Now we are returning back to Auz they just can't seem to understand why. Unless you have lived there you don't know what your missing. I must say we loved every minute we were in Adelaide but returned initially because we missed family and a seriously ill father, who has since passed away. We haven't retired so couldn't lived 6 months in Auz and then 6 months in uk. So glad it works for you though x