Help - Getting cold feet!

serena

Hello all migrants out there,

We got our visas granted just after Christmas, just about to put the house on the market, and I've got cold feet.

It's just that every site I look at has horror stories about huge spiders, constant suncream application, insect repellent, sharks, jellyfish, and difficulty finding decent paid work. But it's really the huge amout of things that could kill/seriously harm you out there that have given me the heebie jeebies! Plus, I worry about the remoteness of living in Oz, everywhere is so far apart from everywhere else.

I have this nightmare of something terrible happening to my adorable son or husband.

Anyone else out there have, or had, the same feelings?

We've only got untill November this year to use the visas,and I don't know what to do. I've already started trying to make a back-up plan of somewhere else to move to!

There are an awfull lot of spider pictures on this site!!

Going quietly barmy,

Serena :unsure:

Guest happy feet

Hi Serena,

Don't worry, i'm sure everyone goes through the coldfeet stage, especially when the visa comes through. Just remember why you wanted to emigrate in the first place, there will be good and bad where ever you go, but think of the quality of life you, and more importantly you son will have. Can't say i'm looking forward to the creepy crawleys, but i will put up with them, and i'm sure get used to them, if it was that bad, people wouldn't be living there!!!

Be strong, and good luck with the move

Cara

Guest Libby1971

Hi

I can understand your fears.

However, we the most wimpy family on the planet, have not had anything we cannot handle so far and we have been here almost a year.

In that time, I have seen flies (grrrrrr), a couple of baby huntsman spiders, 3 adult huntsman (always from a distance and mercifully they are outside while I am inside), 3 cockroaches, some ants (they're everywhere - why?) and not much else. Oh some millipedes, and then I bought a dog and I didn't see any more millipedes - not sure if he is eating any...:wacko:

Now I grant you the size of the huntsman can be freaky but I am reliable informed that having them around is better than not having them as they eat the horrible b*ggers that I don't want to be seeing!

The cockroaches have been seen wherever there is some serious digging on - I am reluctant for this reason to dig a hole for a pool but can be bribed with a serious good curry.

I suggest talking through your fears with your hubby.

As for being far apart, I was saying something different yesterday. In the UK, we lived in a market town which had grown rapidly in the 16 years we lived there. It could take me longer to get to my friends within that town due to traffic, volume of people and sheer size of the place than to get to my friends here who live in different suburbs. I have never had any desire to go to Sydney, I've seen Brisbane, don't want to go to Darwin either. I know that at some time I will visit Melbourne, Perth and Cairns etc but right now I am still recovering from the move here and am not in a hurry to pack any more suitcases. We live near the city but don't go into it as much as I thought we would as everything we need is much more local.

I recomment coming, trying it and then if you absolutely hate it after a year, looking at an atlas. Bet you don't.

Libby

Serena, Libby is absolutely right (as ever!) We've been here since the end of July, I've seen three huntsman (quite big but not huge), no snakes, no redbacks, no whitetips, two inch ants (yuk, but squished those big b**gers into oblivion) and more flies than I care to remember. Yes Australia is a long way from everywhere but a plane will get you to where you want to be pretty quickly! Getting the heebie jeebies is completely normal, you're taking a huge step. Just keep reminding yourself why you wanted to take that step in the first place. Your adorable son and husband will probably be a lot safer and happier in Aus than in the UK.

Cold feet are natural when we move from our comfort zones. You are coming here to warm them up. Yes the cities are very far apart, but each state is set up to handle its own affairs and medical problems. The only thing you get flown interstate for is if you are having a really premmie labour and your states facilities are full, or major cardiac surgery for kids. Adelaide has all the other medical facilities you need.

As for the local flora n fauna.... houses are built with flyscreens on the doors and windows to keep out flies and mozzies. Snakes are more scared of you and if left alone will go away. They like long grass, so if your house is in a more rural aspect then keeping the grass down will keep em away. Spiders.... well I don't mind em but my daughters do. None of us have been bitten and the dangerous ones usually have a red or white splotch on the abdo so you know to leave em alone.

The most thing you will have to worry about is the strength of the sun, it can be deceptive and your skin can get fried in 15 - 20 mins and good swimming lessons are a must.

You can always try thinking of it as a big holiday and you might be more relaxed about the big move. Things will be different, some things better. some things might not be quite what you thought, but you will have at least done something others only talked about.

Rachel

Guest paul_smart

Hi Serena, my advice; go on holiday there to see it for yourself, you can't move to somewhere you've never been before, it's lovelly tho!

As for the Spiders, I was bitten by just about all of the blighters while I worked in the outback of WA, mostly on the face but only the funnelweb is an out and out killer (and only in NSW), the redbacks only give you problems if you have a heart condition or the like already, the bite is similar to a wasp sting and itch a little, I never saw any spiders while I was in the city, I'm not a fan of spiders either, but a bit of advice I was given, its good to have a huntsman spider in your house as it eats all of the poisonous ones, how true that is I don't know but I was never nervous of a huntsman again!!

Hey,

I can you assure you that everyone goes though this...i know i do sometimes....but i put the bad thoughts to the back of my mind. The benifits sure out way the negatives.

I look at this as an adventure that us lucky few get to enjoy.... at the end of the day as harsh as it sounds you just have to go and do it.

Hope you feel better bout it soon!

Dan and Steph

Hi Alex,

Have you got any accomodation or work sorted out in Adelaide for when you arrive? I remember the feeling of having no keys very well! (I've lived in a few other countries) It's strangely liberating - but I'm gonna get my son (two and a half) a portable dvd player to keep him distracted from that fact (homelessness!!!)

Good Luck

Serena

Hi all,

I've just replied seperately to everyone who answered my desperate plea for help - but apparently I did something wrong, and they've all disappeared!!

Bugger!!!!

Suffice it to say, thank you all, also any advice on pre schools as my son is two and a half would be gratefully received.

THANKS!!!:notworthy:

Serena

Hey,

I can you assure you that everyone goes though this...i know i do sometimes....but i put the bad thoughts to the back of my mind. The benifits sure out way the negatives.

I look at this as an adventure that us lucky few get to enjoy.... at the end of the day as harsh as it sounds you just have to go and do it.

Hope you feel better bout it soon!

Dan and Steph

Hi you two,

Good luck and thanks for your reply. You're right, and you did make me feel a bit better.

(God... I wish I was 25!!!)

Serena

Guest The Pottertons

Hi serena, Poor you! I know i'll feel the same when our time comes and am prompting myself already with answers to all my worries in anticipation. My feelings are that i may hate it and want to go home but im going to give it 2 years( not long really, wil fly by and then reassess how i feel. Maybe i'll come back to the uk. But i dont think i'll ever regret such a unique experience for us and our children. We will always have the knowledge of living another life for a while and the nagging "what if i moved abroad" thought will be gone. Also selling your house now could be the best thing if a housing crash happens in the next few years! Take your equity and run!!! Its a huge adventure and we are in a priveledged position to get the chance. Always regret what you dont do, rather than what you do!!! Who knows in a years time i may be asking you for advice on my cold feet whilst you living the dream!! Good Luck Serena, i hope you fears ease up a bit soon Yvonne xxx

Hi serena, Poor you! I know i'll feel the same when our time comes and am prompting myself already with answers to all my worries in anticipation. My feelings are that i may hate it and want to go home but im going to give it 2 years( not long really, wil fly by and then reassess how i feel. Maybe i'll come back to the uk. But i dont think i'll ever regret such a unique experience for us and our children. We will always have the knowledge of living another life for a while and the nagging "what if i moved abroad" thought will be gone. Also selling your house now could be the best thing if a housing crash happens in the next few years! Take your equity and run!!! Its a huge adventure and we are in a priveledged position to get the chance. Always regret what you dont do, rather than what you do!!! Who knows in a years time i may be asking you for advice on my cold feet whilst you living the dream!! Good Luck Serena, i hope you fears ease up a bit soon Yvonne xxx

<P>Hi Pottertons,</P><P>I was feeling just like you a couple of months ago - it just seems to have gotten worse now the house is almost ready to put on the market!  We are still 50 50 about going, plus we're a fair bit older than you two, makes it a bit scarier somehow - but if we get a buyer quickly, I think that may push us along to Oz.  I too will give it a year or so, you never know!</P><P>Good Luck</P><P>Serena</P>

<P>Hi Pottertons,</P><P>I was feeling just like you a couple of months ago - it just seems to have gotten worse now the house is almost ready to put on the market!  We are still 50 50 about going, plus we're a fair bit older than you two, makes it a bit scarier somehow - but if we get a buyer quickly, I think that may push us along to Oz.  I too will give it a year or so, you never know!</P><P>Good Luck</P><P>Serena</P>

Serena, 50/50 is not a good basis to emigrate, even those that may have been 100% don't necessarily settle there

Guest Guzzler&Sas
Serena, 50/50 is not a good basis to emigrate, even those that may have been 100% don't necessarily settle there

Couldn't agree with you more Ranger, you must be committed 110%, with loads of positive and "can do" attitude or you could struggle to adapt to your new surrondings,

Best of luck,

Guzzler

Guest Guest75
Hi Tyke,

Is it normal? Did you change your mind before going? Do you think you'll stay?

Serena

Hi Serena

Dunno about anything "normal" with us - have to ask anyone who knows us.....erm no on second thoughts:wacko:

It's all part of the process - evolutionary I'd guess - makes you consider all aspects rather than running headlong over that cliff.

Will we stay???

I thinks so .............. citizens now and lived here nearly 8 years.;)

Guest graandjac

go on holiday there to see it for yourself, you can't move to somewhere you've never been before, it's lovelly tho!

Ok to say that but most people who make the BIG jump go blind:unsure:, some might say madness , some might say brave, some might just say ...big bo*****s....!!!:biglaugh: either way never say what if ...? Cheers Graham

Guest Django

It's just that every site I look at has horror stories about huge spiders, constant suncream application, insect repellent, sharks, jellyfish, and difficulty finding decent paid work. But it's really the huge amout of things that could kill/seriously harm you out there that have given me the heebie jeebies!

Hi Serena,

Hope this link helps....

Pete