A thread for people who have came over in the last year to tell their story's f

minty

OK, the idea of this thread is due to all of the doom and gloom posts and threads about how bad it is here at the moment it will give a chance to people who have came out in the last year/ year and a bit to put up their stories to show that people still can and still are coming to Adelaide and making it work.

So with that in mind here I go. We came out in January last year on a state sponsored visa. I'm a sparkie and knew in advance of the gap training required so had the courses booked in in advance. Managed to get work at the first time of asking and have been in work ever since and have a contractors licence. Have now changed jobs slightly to training and am loving it. The wife has re trained as an aged carer and next week starts her enrolled nursing course. All of this has been either free or massively subsidised through skills for all which is great for permanent visa holders and Aussies alike. I am also doing an advanced diploma in electrical engineering through the same program and as its classed as in demand it's completely free aswell and through work have completed my cert 4 in training and assessment.

we came from the south of the UK and costs are for us about the same but I earn much more and seem to have more left over at the end of the week.

The kids have settled in great and the schooling is a good level, we have no complaints with it atall.

Their was a lot of hard work to get hear but it's everything we wanted and we love our life here, absolutely no regrets. Do your research and good luck to those coming over.

Right who's next ?????

Edited by minty

You have to remember there have been quite a few that have gone back to the UK and no longer use this site a few that could not find work in S.A and moved on to other states that do not use this site. I think you will only find that you will get all the good story's how great it is and its all great hopefully not and we get a mixed bag.

Guest Guest6899

We moved over in October 2011 on a state sponsored visa, I had already lined up a position as a registered nurse at FMC and love the job. im a lot less stressed and the pay is good too. Hubby used to work in the steel industry but retrained to be a disability support worker and also really enjoys the job. Adam eldest has won a scholarship to Adelaide University from Christies Beach High school and starts next March and will study civil, environmental & structural engineering. He has passed his driving test and bought his own car, got himself a job in coles to fund his university degree. Ethan our youngest has just has his best school report ever so we are really pleased with that. He doesn't have a lot of friends which is a little disappointing but that's is also partially due to his Autism.

We moved from a small 3 bed semi in the UK to a detached 3 bed with a huge workshop & rumpus, pool large garden etc which we own, 3 mins from the beach.

For us it has been a great move, were a lot more relaxed as a family and have a good family life with the weather which helps as we can go out more. My son is off work tomorrow and he has planned the day in port Adelaide doing the market & dolphin cruise with his girlfriend, he couldn't do that in Staffordshire, lol, I just wished we had done it years ago!!

Lisa

Edited by Guest6899
spelling

You have to remember there have been quite a few that have gone back to the UK and no longer use this site a few that could not find work in S.A and moved on to other states that do not use this site. I think you will only find that you will get all the good story's how great it is and its all great hopefully not and we get a mixed bag.

Deffenetly people who it does not work out for. Usually because of work, missing home, or a lack of knowledge of the place before they came here. I've always said research, research, research. I'm not saying all but most of the time people who go back usually have contributed to there position due to a lack of research.

Guest vikkiann

We came over June 2012 on a 175 visa.

Hubby is a plumber, works for a property maintenance company. I've started a cleaning company here, I employ 2 people already.

Hubby doesn't earn fantastic money by some people's standards but it covers everything we need and we are still able to save. My salary doesn't get touched, it's just building up.

We moved from Buckinghamshire to here and find the money that we have left over each month (out of hubby's)is more than we had spare in England.

Vikki

​xx

I have been meaning to put on an update and this thread as prompted me so here goes;

We arrived October on permanent 176 state sponsored, we didn't manage to sell our UK property so decided to rent it out. This meant we came came over with limited funds, but hubby had a job lined up in Adelaide so at least that was something. We purchased a couple of cheap 2nd hand cars( and i mean cheap!! Ha ha) secured a 12 month rental, tightened our belts and hoped for the best. Last week we discovered our tenants had done a moonlight flit, owing rent arrears too... Thats the risk we took I suppose, so now have to pay the Uk mortgage until we get new tenants in :(

Hubby started work 3 weeks after we arrived. He is a cnc programmer and luckily no re-training or white card etc was required, so he just walked right in. He really enjoys his job even though he says it has been like taking a step back in time.

I wanted to spend some time settling the kids at school and making the house a home. I had been browsing the various job sites, and just before xmas saw a position that suited me, so thought I would apply.. To my surprise the following day got a call inviting me for interview, then landed the job. To top it off they delayed my start date until the kids went back to school at the end Jan, the company could not be more accommodating :) I was pretty lucky as this was the first and only job I applied for. I work in the city in finance 9.30 to 2.30 so can still do the school run... Absolutely perfect!

I know I should be grateful we are both in permanent employment but before the move I really fancied a change of direction job wise, so I am contemplating doing the Aged Care course, hopefully its something I will find a bit more rewarding than being stuck in an office :/ Just need to find a course that I can fit in around my current job, or somewhere that will perhaps employ me and give me paid shifts whilst I re-train. Big ask I know, but I cant really afford to quit my current job and not get any income whilst I re-train. Failing that I will just have to wait until we top up our savings and just go for it! All in good time.

My daughter (7) has taken to every aspect of this life changing move like a duck to water.

My son (10) on the other hand has struggled, the first 3 month he stated he hates everything about Australia and he really misses his friends in the UK. We have had some really bad days, I have even struggled to get him to school on a few occasions. The school have been great and he is having weekly sessions with the school pastoral support officer. He has made new friend at both school and home but claims its just not the same. I have explained that this will happen in time, he had known his friends in uk for years! He is refusing to join any clubs at the moment but says he will in time! He does seem a little more settled in recent weeks so fingers crossed, perhaps he just needs more time. He is even smiling more often :) small steps, we don't want to be too pushy so have accepted he will come round in his own time.

Family have flights booked, so we have house guest booked in pretty much Nov through to April, will be great to see them all and show them around.

In regards to cost of living, we do find (like the bacons) that we have more cash in our pockets. we have found the cost so far to to pretty much on a par with the UK, swings and roundabouts really as some thing more expensive but some cheaper, but saying that we have had an increase in our incomes.

We did lots of research and a validation trip before we made the move, but still a lot if hard work and adapting is required after you arrive, ongoing too.

Good luck for you guys still waiting to make the move. It took us 4 years to get here, lots of ups and downs along the way and no doubt we will in for a few more but we personally have no regrets and plan on staying!!!

Determination and a bit of good look has got us to where we are now :)

Adele x

Guest thestewarts912

We arrived here March 2012 on a 176 visa. Husband had one job offer secured before arriving and a second possible. He opted for the second job offer slightly less money but an oppertunity to get into the mining side of things (he's a heavy diesel mech). Moved into a rental, kids both settled into a great little school. Made some lovely friends both aussies and poms.Husband was sent up to O Dam to work 2 wks on 1 off which wasnt a big deal to our family as we were used to hubby being way( Army family).In September we began looking at buying our own home, saw a house we liked and put in an offer, everything was moving along nicely. Husband was moved to Wyalla due to the lack of work at OD after the expantion fell through. He went in on the Monday and asked how safe was his job did he need to start looking and was told no your safe. Thursday of the same week he was laid off, the Friday we were due to sign the house contract, thankfully the sale was halted and we got our deposit back. Both of us have never experienced unemployment husband served for 22 yrs, didnt know where to start. visited government skills people and were told that no help would be given as we didnt qualify for benefits so they wouldnt help. Husband applied for anything and everything. I applied for jobs but nothing came our way. Several times hubby was down to the last 2 candidates for a job to be rejected by some one with more local knowledge or experience. We had 1 very low point after such an occasion. when we have felt low we took ourselves off to the beach. It took 6 months but finally husband was offered a job and has been there for 6 weeks now. We were fortunate to have savings to live off and we kept ourselves upbeat for most of the time. it made us appreciate how life is good and the fine line there is when things can go pear shaped.

I've always said research, research, research. I'm not saying all but most of the time people who go back usually have contributed to there position due to a lack of research.

I too have always said that research is key, but most migrants who have left Australia in the last three years had been here more than five years, which rather suggests that they'd gone past the 'this isn't what we expected' stage.

Still, good thread and nice to see people making a go of it.

Jim

Guest Theboym

Floor layer. 10 months in...

Met my girlfriend here

road tripped all over s.a

Been too hot

been too cold

renting a wicked house

got work almost every day

van broke down

earning good money most of the time

stress at work

traffic is a nightmare

roadworks everywhere

glorious weather

wicked cycling / running

not enough time at the moment due to travelling

my view is Adelaide is a good place to start. It's affordable. And it has everything in easy reach. I just find it starting to feel small, im getting itchy feet to move on. But then I always have.

good luck new pom's, put the effort in and persevere. It's a better way of life, that is obvious when you arrive. Just need to find a better work / life balance as a contractor. I'm taking any jobs that come along to build my contacts which seems to be working for me :-)

Guest Cadas

I had an odd route to Adelaide.

Came here on 176, but couldn't find work, so I looked elsewhere and got a job in Sydney.

18 months later, got a promotion to be the new state general manager for south Australia. So have now moved back, bought a house and settling in to where we thought we would be.

Market here is tough, local knowledge is a big plus point, and it is tricky to get that foothold in the job market.

That said, we (me and my company) are fairly optimistic that SA is not going to get much worse and when the economy gets going properly in 2015/6 it will be a good place to be.

Market here is tough, local knowledge is a big plus point, and it is tricky to get that foothold in the job market.

That said, we (me and my company) are fairly optimistic that SA is not going to get much worse and when the economy gets going properly in 2015/6 it will be a good place to be.

Yeah, I'd say that sounds fair.

we came out in Sept 2011,mum,step dad, then 22,18 and 15 year old boys.

since arriving have had some huge ups and huge downs, biggest down being the 18yr old returning to UK and biggest up buying our own house in Seacombe Heights with amazing sea/city views.

would i recommend it...yes def..we both struggled to get work initially, tho both landed casual temp work quite quickly, but are both now in full time perm employment. It is dearer here but like others have said, we live okay, you just have to learn what is important to you, and ours is the quality family time we have, which often involves a walk with the dog on the beach followed by a coffee at the end...a very cheap but fulfilling afternoon spent!

i am very proud of how we have made it work here as it def isnt easy, spec initially, and of how the boys have settled. If im honest i do worry about the youngest and employmeny when he finishes school, but im sure that would be the case if were still in UK.

we came with no jobs,had been to Australia but not Adelaide and maybe we have been lucky, but i do believe you get out what you put in.

Good luck to all about to jump!

It's early days still for us still - our second month of living in Adelaide. It's been mainly ups and a few downs for us so far. We have both secured permanent full time jobs (after a major false start for me with a retracted offer). My job is in my specific field and skills set (which we got the visa based on) which is Project Management, my husband has managed to do exactly as he planned which was to get away from the finance sector and into Travel and Tourism, he has landed a job with Flight Centre.

Based on other threads (ahem!) I feel rather guilty even mentioning that we have had success with jobs so quickly - but our experience has been that if you throw yourself out there, positively and enthusiastically then you get a good response. My other half literally blitzed agencies and SEEK for a week or so and off the back of that spent the following week in and out of interviews (3 in one day was the most). He was called back for 2nd interviews on a couple, including the flight centre one, and offered a couple at the end of the week. Sure - the ones he turned down were for cold call selling, but they would have bought a wage in if needs be.

I was less proactive in applying and more choosy about what I went for, but found Talent International were a fab agency for me and my skill set, they did all the work finding me the job I ultimately got (which was a higher wage and better post than the lower level PM support role I originally applied for).

We have had no incidents of any kind of negative attitude or bias against us for not being Aussie and aside from my first false start it has all been supportive and encouraging. I am aware (you couldn't not be on this forum) that this has not been the experience of everybody and also that many people say you can suddenly lose jobs - I do figure that luck plays a part but also believe that a positive mental attitude is also key.

We have also been lucky with rental property - adored the first place we saw (ticked all the boxes, right location, size, rent) but assumed (based on research and experiences on here) that we would not get it. Turned out no one else from the open viewing applied and despite not a huge amount of cash in the bank our two job offers sufficed (alongside tons of positive references) to secure the property, we cannot wait to pick up the keys at the end of the month and properly start to settle.

For us we are loving it so far and believe this is the best move we could have made based on prospects in the UK. That's not to say its not hard adjusting to being so far away from friends and family - but for us right now it's all good.

Thanks the bacons for starting a positive thread.