Passport Issue - please help!

Guest Shropshirelad

Guest Shropshirelad

Hi, am new to the forum, I'm 26 and from Shropshire, been in Aus for nearly 3 years on a working holiday and then a 457. I'm returning home, where (after a good week or two drinking) I'm going to try the state sponsorship route and come back ASAP to my girlfriend, dog and the ridiculous amounts of money they pay us here for doing 1/3 of the work. One issue I'm having at the moment is my passport, I lost it and am fairly certain I filled in a JS01 form (lost or stolen). Shortly after, the police contacted me and said they'd found it.

Can I still travel on this passport?

The main question is: can somebody please give me a contact number for someone in Adelaide I can talk to? I've only managed to find a passport office in NZ, and a contact number for an embassy in Adelaide who gave me a thoroughly mind-numbing automated rundown of all the possible websites I could ever hope to visit. I really need to talk to an actual person about this, and fairly urgently as I'm hoping to be getting on a plane in roughly 3 weeks, the weather is starting to depress me here now and my money is running low.

Any help would be very very very much appreciated. If I can just check with someone that this passport is valid or not, as I'm not even sure I sent in a JS01 form, and maybe even if I did I can just cancel the cancellation of it.

Am half-tempted to just book a cheap flight to NZ, and if my passport works then happy days, I'm from Shropshire so am well used to sheep as it is and then I know it works.

Thanks for any help,

Chris.

Have you tried ringing the British Consul in Melbourne. When my passport had expired, I needed an emergency one to return to the UK because my dad was seriously ill. I did speak to someone on the phone, and they advised me to book my flight tickets, but had to go to Melbourne because they are the nearest office to us.

Guest Shropshirelad
Have you tried ringing the British Consul in Melbourne. When my passport had expired, I needed an emergency one to return to the UK because my dad was seriously ill. I did speak to someone on the phone, and they advised me to book my flight tickets, but had to go to Melbourne because they are the nearest office to us.

Just googled the number and tried them, it was the same sweet-voiced woman with the same automation, I nearly threw my phone at the wall. She toys with me, making me press this button and then that button, and then refers me to a website. Thanks for the try though :)

Just googled the number and tried them, it was the same sweet-voiced woman with the same automation, I nearly threw my phone at the wall. She toys with me, making me press this button and then that button, and then refers me to a website. Thanks for the try though :)

Is that the one that costs you a dollar plus a minute as well.

Guest Shropshirelad
Is that the one that costs you a dollar plus a minute as well.

Must be, I just checked my balance and it's gone way down. Also, I tried a number in Canberra and it was an automated bloke who said 'this call will cost 12 dollars plus GST' so I hung up straight away. For that price I'd want the plane tickets included. Can't believe how ridiculous this all is to be honest.

Guest Shropshirelad
I wonder if you tried calling the UK passport office when they open and see if you get more luck. I know it was lost here but they should have it on their systems

That's what I thought, so I got my Dad to ring them and they said I'd have to speak to somebody here to arrange either an emergency passport or a new one. Was kinda hoping he could've just ordered a new one from home and posted it to me, no such luck.

Guest Shropshirelad
How about the number on here for the British Consulate in Adelaide http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/adelaide-migration-issues/37480-british-consulate-adelaide.html? Doesn't look like a premium rate number, but not sure if you'd get a real person or not...

Just tried it and it just beeped, as if the number doesn't exist.

Guest Shropshirelad
Getting an emergency travel permit is no problem like Hutchy says but it sounds like you may need a trip to Melbourne

Yeah, trying to avoid that if possible, can't see why they can't issue it anywhere really, and it's not like in England, having to go all the way from Liverpool to Manchester to get something sorted, Melbourne's pretty damn far away, if it's my only option then it's my only option though, still need to clarify this with a talking human though. Thanks for your help so far.

All UK passport matters for Aus now goes through NZ. So renewals etc are done there. Have you read the website info there? I found it pretty clear cut and would think if you email them with all the relevant info etc you may get some more light shed.

Guest Shropshirelad
I'm struggling with this, to be honest. You get paid a ridiculous amount of money for doing a 1/3 of your old job but won't pay $12 to make a call to sort this out?

(a) - not working any more so no longer getting paid the nice ridiculous money, and my bank account is nearly dry, other than enough for a plane ticket

(b) - will probably be 12 dollars just to get referred to a website, or another phone number

© - a matter of principle, why the hell would anyone have to pay 12 dollars just to get some help from their own country when needed?

If you are in a de facto relationship with your girlfriend and have been living together for a year and can prove this with bills etc in both your names and all that, have you not considered the partner visa onshore or offshore even if you return to the UK?

Might be worth looking at to see if you meet the requirements anyways. Its all on the Aus immigration website.

Guest Shropshirelad
All UK passport matters for Aus now goes through NZ. So renewals etc are done there. Have you read the website info there? I found it pretty clear cut and would think if you email them with all the relevant info etc you may get some more light shed.

Will have a look tomorrow, when the phone lines are open again. I'm fairly sure they only deal with passports, and not emergency passports, I more need someone to tell me whether or not my passport is valid, because if it is valid then I don't need to worry about any of this, or wait 6 weeks for a passport when I want to be on a plane in 3, but maybe they can point me in the right direction if not. Thanks.

Guest Shropshirelad
If you are in a de facto relationship with your girlfriend and have been living together for a year and can prove this with bills etc in both your names and all that, have you not considered the partner visa onshore or offshore even if you return to the UK?

Might be worth looking at to see if you meet the requirements anyways. Its all on the Aus immigration website.

Unfortunately not, been with her for around a year, but only moved in a couple of weeks ago, as the lease was up at my place. To be honest, if I can just come here as a skilled migrant, would probably be better than going defacto, as the relationship might end and then I'd be screwed. If I didn't have a trade I would've been trying to find a girl to move in with as soon as I arrived here on a 417.

Will have a look tomorrow, when the phone lines are open again. I'm fairly sure they only deal with passports, and not emergency passports, I more need someone to tell me whether or not my passport is valid, because if it is valid then I don't need to worry about any of this, or wait 6 weeks for a passport when I want to be on a plane in 3, but maybe they can point me in the right direction if not. Thanks.

Email them. Don't phone. Ask for clarification via email. Include details of your initial report, passport number etc and try to get it in writing. I'd only phone again if that doesn't come through for you.

Hi, am new to the forum, I'm 26 and from Shropshire, been in Aus for nearly 3 years on a working holiday and then a 457. I'm returning home, where (after a good week or two drinking) I'm going to try the state sponsorship route and come back ASAP to my girlfriend, dog and the ridiculous amounts of money they pay us here for doing 1/3 of the work. One issue I'm having at the moment is my passport, I lost it and am fairly certain I filled in a JS01 form (lost or stolen). Shortly after, the police contacted me and said they'd found it. Can I still travel on this passport? The main question is: can somebody please give me a contact number for someone in Adelaide I can talk to? I've only managed to find a passport office in NZ, and a contact number for an embassy in Adelaide who gave me a thoroughly mind-numbing automated rundown of all the possible websites I could ever hope to visit. I really need to talk to an actual person about this, and fairly urgently as I'm hoping to be getting on a plane in roughly 3 weeks, the weather is starting to depress me here now and my money is running low. Any help would be very very very much appreciated. If I can just check with someone that this passport is valid or not, as I'm not even sure I sent in a JS01 form, and maybe even if I did I can just cancel the cancellation of it. Am half-tempted to just book a cheap flight to NZ, and if my passport works then happy days, I'm from Shropshire so am well used to sheep as it is and then I know it works. Thanks for any help, Chris.

As I said, email them with all that information. Give them the passport number etc and enquire if it is cancelled or not and if not if its still ok to travel on. If it is cancelled then you need to get a new passport.