Flights Booked!! Little tip for you...

Hughes'Roberts

Hi PIA,

We just wanted to share our excitement! 10 & a half weeks and counting!! :jiggy:

Here's a little tip for those of you that wish to fly with Singapore Airlines, as you may well know if you have already entered OZ on the visa that you will be travelling on when you make your big move, usually you are then not entitled to the extra luggage bonus.

I emailed Singapore Airlines to see what they could do and they replied promptly saying ‘out of goodwill they will allow us an extra 10kg each at no extra charge’ which is fab! So 30kg each.

So if any of you want to try this, go ahead, all you need to do is email reservations, give your booking reference (if booked already) and they update your booking accordingly.

If you have not booked, I would recommend emailing them before you pay in case we were just lucky. Good Luck!

Are there any members going to Adelaide end of August, if so we may see you on the big bird!

Nat & Gaz

Edited by Hughes'Roberts

We used Singapore airlines when we emigrated 4 yrs ago, and we never asked for extra luggage, but were told on check-in that we were allowed extra baggage as we

were emigrating. They never said it was a goodwill gesture just implied that on initial emigration you automatically get extra allowance.

Have no idea if other airlines have the same baggage allowance or if it differs depending on who you fly with.

Its good to know that you can carry extra, we vacuum packed our stuff aswell to get as much as we could in there.

nikki

We used Singapore airlines when we emigrated 4 yrs ago, and we never asked for extra luggage, but were told on check-in that we were allowed extra baggage as we

were emigrating. They never said it was a goodwill gesture just implied that on initial emigration you automatically get extra allowance.

Have no idea if other airlines have the same baggage allowance or if it differs depending on who you fly with.

Its good to know that you can carry extra, we vacuum packed our stuff aswell to get as much as we could in there.

nikki

Hi Nikki,

Yes I believe if it is your initial entry then yes you are allowed the extra which is great, i am referring to people that have already made the initial entry, like us for example, we made our first trip on our PR Visa last year purely to validate it, this is when the extra luggage allowance would of been applied. Usually you would not be entitled to it second time round.

I am not to sure about other airlines either but this is a good little tip for those that have already validated there visa. Good idea about the vacuum packs! :smile:

Nat & Gaz

Thanks very much for this info.

Many people have to pay excess baggage charges when they make the final move or send belongings via other means. The 30kgs is for the migrant trip and a reccie uses us this allowance. It's certainly worth the effort to contact the airline and see if they are flexible. I flew Singapore airlines in April and their service was good.

Tamara

Guest Cornish Pasties

Hi Nat & Gaz,

Yep we flew with Singapore for that very reason and definitely a great feeling when the flight is booked! Makes it feel so real. We are 5 months in now and have settled here so well that feel like been here for years. Enjoy your last few weeks in UK and good luck with the move. :biggrin:

Hi Nat & Gaz,

Yep we flew with Singapore for that very reason and definitely a great feeling when the flight is booked! Makes it feel so real. We are 5 months in now and have settled here so well that feel like been here for years. Enjoy your last few weeks in UK and good luck with the move. :biggrin:

Thanks Cornish Pasties!

Good to hear youve settled! Yes it does seem very real now! We told the family yesterday we had finally booked the flight and although there happy for us we could sense a little bit sadness too which doesnt feel nice. We dread the 'goodbyes' but its what we have wanted for so long.

Nat & Gaz

Guest Russ c

We booked our flights today and arrive 19 July. It's finally sinking in now, we have short term rent in Henley beach set up. Just want to be there now

Russ

We booked our flights today and arrive 19 July. It's finally sinking in now, we have short term rent in Henley beach set up. Just want to be there now

Russ

Hi Russ

Oh how exciting! Not long for you! We are in the process of arranging some short term accomodation. We are also looking at the western suburbs. Did you manage to get a good deal for your short term let?

Nat & Gaz

Guest Elsbels

Hi Nat & Gaz,

Thanks for the tip. I have contacted Malaysia Airlines and requested if we can have additional luggage allowance. We are flying to Adelaide on 15.7.13. Only found out the visa was granted 3 weeks ago, nothing like a crazy sprint to the finish line!!!!

Hi Nat & Gaz,

Thanks for the tip. I have contacted Malaysia Airlines and requested if we can have additional luggage allowance. We are flying to Adelaide on 15.7.13. Only found out the visa was granted 3 weeks ago, nothing like a crazy sprint to the finish line!!!!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for the extra luggage!!! Blimey Its all go for you isnt it! Our visa was granted a while ago but with getting married and sorting other things out were so happy to be finally making the move! Are you all organised & were abouts in SA are you heading to?

NAT & GAZ

Hi there, Hubby and two boys aged 8 & 11 are arriving on the 3rd August. We are getting very excited too. We are flying with Singapore airlines too. Now I don't want to Jinx either myself or you, but we saw on a forum that Singapore offer DOUBLE baggage allowance if you are flying and activating your visa for the first time i.e. that you have not flown with and activated Australian visa before. They will need to see your Visa Grant notice. It took a hell of a lot of emails, and we have email confirmation from them that they will allow this so we each have 40KG, but I am still not sure what will happen, as we are breaking our journey for two days, and hope that they will still allow it fro the onward journey.

We are looking to move to the Western Burbs too, Brighton or Henley as schools seem good there. Do you know any good agencies or places to look for accomodation?

Laila n Pete

Hi there, Hubby and two boys aged 8 & 11 are arriving on the 3rd August. We are getting very excited too. We are flying with Singapore airlines too. Now I don't want to Jinx either myself or you, but we saw on a forum that Singapore offer DOUBLE baggage allowance if you are flying and activating your visa for the first time i.e. that you have not flown with and activated Australian visa before. They will need to see your Visa Grant notice. It took a hell of a lot of emails, and we have email confirmation from them that they will allow this so we each have 40KG, but I am still not sure what will happen, as we are breaking our journey for two days, and hope that they will still allow it fro the onward journey.

That is correct re Singapore airlines. They offer double allowance for unvalidated permanent visas. You are best to confirm in advance via email of this and print off a copy to take to check in with you in case of any problems. Temp visas do not qualify for this (nor do things like partner visas and others, even if permanent, they are after specific visa numbers).

If you are stopping for 2 days it shouldn't be a problem. Arrange to have your luggage held at the airport and don't take it with you is all. You only need hand luggage for a night in Singapore. Pack it wisely and you'll be fine IMO.

We are flying with Singapore Airlines too on 4th August. I emailed them via their contact us section on the website and got confirmation of the 40Kgs allowance. I will, of course, be taking a printed copy of that with me along with our visa grant.

Hopefully there won't be any issues at check-in but better to have the proof to hand.

Elsbels

Did Malaysia air get back to you about extra bag allowance as we are flying with them.

Russ c

I can't recall Malaysian airlines offering a migrant allowance. At least not that I recall reading anyone getting in the past couple of years. I think they used to do a migrant deal quite a few years ago but many of the airlines stopped offering it and its only far less that do so these days. Be interesting to see if they do do it but don't take it that it will happen for everyone.

FWIW, anyone able to fly BA or Qantas on their own planes all the way through should look at the amazingly cheap price they offer for an extra bag (23kg max). Something like about £30/$90 or so. Only one per person but it adds up. Need to read the small print though as I think it has to be their own airline not a code share to get that deal.

Hi we got 40kg with Malaysian airlines but we booked via IOM and came out on a 457, that was in December, was a godsend as that was all we bought with us x

IOM is the migration organisation who have arrangements with airlines for limited number of tickets etc.

Iirc IOM only have the flight deal with Emirates from the UK these days and numbers are limited.

I think with the competition from Emirates who apparently offer this extra allowance to everyone, migrants or not, Singapore are probably more inclined to do it.

We flew back to the UK on holiday with Emirates a couple of weeks ago and we got 30kg each which was great. Still wouldn't recommend Emirates though :( Give me Malaysia anyday.

Yes we are the same emigrating again lol and was allowed it automatically first time around we got double the allowance but that was a long time ago now with British Airways, Singapore airlines said 5KG extra as a good will to start but when I moaned lol they said 10kg, always wise to have it in writing to I am gonna be printing off the email just to be sure and they confirmed it on the phone so it must be on my booking.. always best to check though, some will not increase at all, a friend of mine recently flew emirates their first time emigrating and they would only give them 30kg each which I believe is the standard weight for them. so I have done ok x

Yes we are the same emigrating again lol and was allowed it automatically first time around we got double the allowance but that was a long time ago now with British Airways, Singapore airlines said 5KG extra as a good will to start but when I moaned lol they said 10kg, always wise to have it in writing to I am gonna be printing off the email just to be sure and they confirmed it on the phone so it must be on my booking.. always best to check though, some will not increase at all, a friend of mine recently flew emirates their first time emigrating and they would only give them 30kg each which I believe is the standard weight for them. so I have done ok x

Oh brilliant!! Glad you got your extra 10kg!! Yes print it off. Ive printed my email off so any issues i am at the ready.

Are you off soon?

Nat & Gaz

Yes its like people are dying and you are never gonna see them again, we are saying goodbye second time around are hoping it will be a bit easier this time as I just cannot wait to go back and know what to expect, its very hard but you just cannot please everyone you just have to do what best for you and your family x oh yes where are you moving to in Adelaide ??

Thanks Cornish Pasties!

Good to hear youve settled! Yes it does seem very real now! We told the family yesterday we had finally booked the flight and although there happy for us we could sense a little bit sadness too which doesnt feel nice. We dread the 'goodbyes' but its what we have wanted for so long.

Nat & Gaz