Going back to the UK - FYI here's our shipping costs

Guest mufc33

Guest mufc33

Time to go home to England's green and pleasant land.

Anyway here are our quotes for shipping home.

We based this upon sole use 20' container, with all breakables packed by the removalists (BUT, toys, clothes, books etc packed by us) and part unpacked at destination (worktop unpack) with removal/disposal of all packing materials.

However, we had "maybes" and "definites" - if leaving the maybes here meant a part-container we asked for that cost also.

COMPANY A: Part container "not worth it", taking everything via sole use 20' = $8,858

COMPANY B: Part container would need to be 20' (???) = $10,370 (that's leaving the maybes) and if taking everything we'd need a 40' sole use container = $13,368

COMPANY C: Part container = $5,988, sole 20' = $6,995

COMPANY D: Part container "not worth it", sole 20' = $6,993 (once we'd told them what COMPANY C had quoted)

Just thought I'd post this so other folk can see how quotes compare.

So in essence, had we only got a price from COMPANY B and wanted to take everything, we'd be looking at $13,400 ish - by taking everything via COMPANY D it's costing us under $7,000.

That's a difference of $6,400

As it happens we're going with COMPANY D as they're arranging a full clean of the house 'at cost' (circa $200) which they guarantee to be ok'd at the exit inspection - or they go back and sort it for free.

Jus' saying.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Guest Matilda

We are definately moving back its just a question of when....may i get the names of the moving company you used?

would be a huge help.......we came 6 yrs ago with a 40 foot!

• 2 months later...
Guest Guest11535

Up to date prices

40' container $10,000

20' container $ 6,900

Full loads and not shared containers.

These quotes are from the big players in Adelaide who all are reading off the same hymn sheet and only a couple of $ in the quotes. Full pack service and removals from Noarlunga to NW England 6-7 weeks guaranteed delivery time doorstep to doorstep.

Insurance has a greater variable depending on who you use and who you ship with.

hope this helps,

garyupnorth.

Edited by Guest11535

we are going back in two weeks. We are using Kent Removals for a shared container (as have more that 20 f but less than 40f) price is $8700 this includes all packing by them. Insurance is 3.5% of what you wish to insure.

UK is home this is just some place to try and live, also mainly for our family as kids miss cousins and grandparents. the cost of living here is shocking and oldest son has hated it for the last 4 years, but I cant blame him it is not really a great state to live.

we are going back in two weeks. We are using Kent Removals for a shared container (as have more that 20 f but less than 40f) price is $8700 this includes all packing by them. Insurance is 3.5% of what you wish to insure.

It may be cheaper to go with Insure Your Move than insuring with their own.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Hampshireboy

Hi, we are in the midst of getting quotes for our impending move back to Blighty. Quotes so far are all in the range of your company B rate! Please could you private-message us the name of the company that you used?

Many thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Matilda

I wonder if you would email me the company names.....i came with a 40 ft but think we could do it with a 20 ft! It would be a hige help,,,,compny D is the name i am after! Many thanks clare

• 7 months later...
Guest mufc33

Hey all - sorry I've not replied or been active on this thread - we moved back to the UK almost exactly a year ago now and life has been busy!

To be honest I can't remember who was who of the 4 companies but the one we went with was Grace. They used Doree Bonner for the UK leg. We insure separately with Leyton Percival in Liverpool and saved a lot of money there.

Grace in Oz were fantastic, as were DB here in the UK - can't fault either.

The bloke that does the quotes etc is a pom called Phil (if he's still there) and he also introduced us to a cleaner that did an 'exit clean' that basically guaranteed we'd not lose any bond for reasons of cleanliness.

As for the move back......... We haven't regretted it. We do miss Oz from time to time (who wouldn't?) but we've found a new appreciation of the UK and all it has to offer, you just need to get out there and find it. There's good and bad in every country at the end of the day. Financially we're better off here in Blighty despite earning pretty much 2.5 times less than I was in Oz, and we didn't live large in Oz at all.

The kids LOVE being back and there's so much for them to do here. We also found that Aussie schools (at Primary level at least) weren't a patch on UK schools and we've been bowled over by how far the kids have come along since being back.

I'd never try to tell anyone which is "better", it was the adventure of a lifetime and to each their own.

Best of luck everyone.

Guest millymandy

I know this is rather an old thread now, but we have also decided to move back to UK after 8 years here. It's been an interesting experience, but my husband has had such a hard time finding any long-term work and we do miss such a lot about UK, particularly friends and family. Lots think we're mad but we did have a good life in UK, so are now very excited to be returning to it. Now for all the organisation and sorting things out!!