3 year update!

Guest shella_n

Guest shella_n

I've never posted an update before but here goes...

3 years ago today we were on a plane on our way to Australia. We lived in Mawson Lakes for a year and a half and then moved to Port Noarlunga. This year we also moved to the Gold Coast for a work opurtubity but after 4 months came back to Adelaide ( long story )

Absolutely LOVE Adelaide. No, it's not perfect but show me a place where is. I have learnt to embrace its quirkyness and I really feel like this is home now.

i have been extremely lucky on the job front and have worked at that same place since we got here. I managed to return to work after our stint on GC too. Working really helped me to settle into Australia when we got here, I met the best people and it really helped to be part of something.

ive seen lots of changes here in 3 short years. The price of petrol has risen from about $1.04 to $1.50. Jobs are becoming more scarce and other costs eg electricity seem to be rising all the time. Our money from the sale of our house has been in the uk for 3 years hoping that the exchange rate would get better but it's has been the same ( or a lot lower) as when we left.

ive seen lots of newbies come and go and most that go seem to go because either they can't find work or they miss their friends and family too much.

we love life here - our kids are thriving ( and we are too lol). I would never consider going back - well never say never but I really can't imagine it.

if you are coming over my advice is - do your research ( and then do some more), be realistic with your finances and if you think you can't live without your mum/ sister/ best friend - you probably can't.

That's all :-) good luck to all the new newbies and asalwaysa the above is only my opinion and not necessarily representative of everyone else's.

cheers

Michelle

i have been extremely lucky on the job front and have worked at that same place since we got here. I managed to return to work after our stint on GC too. Working really helped me to settle into Australia when we got here, I met the best people and it really helped to be part of something.

Thank you for sharing your story Michelle. I believe that finding a job (it may not necessarily be the perfect job) plays such a big part in helping people settle. Like you say it helps you to meet people and make friends. It gives people a sense of normality and purpose.

Here's to the next 3 years!