Just Saying......

Guest Claire-n-tel

Guest Claire-n-tel

Why is it that people appear to forget the rules of normal human civility on forums (not talking just about this one) I always think forums are there to share information and yes share and discuss opinions as you would in a normal face to face conversation.

But......i am sure chatting to someone in a pub most people would not shove their own opinion down peoples throats in such a way that could be seen to be rude/offensive/bitter etc,

I wonder about people who have asked a question only to be hounded with boarder line offensive answers, nearly everyone on here i would think have been through or going through similar experiences and knows what a huge thing it is, and different for everyone, something i breezed could be a huge stress for someone else.

Maybe we could all try to answer posts in the way we would face to face?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Facetious me to one side, I totally agree.

One thing I find hard to understand is why PiO members seem to have a pretty relaxed attitude to different opinions whereas on PiA people sometimes seem to be very quick to take things personally or negatively.

So, is it the reader or the writer that's to blame? (And I'm not including obviously inflammatory comments such as my last one!)

LC

Edited by Lazy Cow
Separating words! Stoopid iPad / fingers!

One thing I find hard to understand is why PiO members seem to have a pretty relaxed attitude to different opinions whereas on PiA people sometimes seem to be very quick to take things personally or negatively.

LC

I agree with this comment 101% even on the Perth, Victoria and Sydney forum you get differences of opinion but it doesn't blow up like it does on here. Maybe its because everyone knows each other on here and takes it as a personal attack. I don't know.

So, is it the reader or the writer that's to blame? (And I'm not including obviously inflammatory comments such as my last one!)

LC

I do wonder that also. As Ktee has said above, all the other forums of theirs are very different to this one in terms of how people react to things posted. Her reasoning may be right, who knows.

Forums are strange beasts. I've posted on different ones for years and have signed up and logged off from more forums than I care to remember :cute:

I often think a busier larger forum is better than a smaller quieter one as traffic is more constant, there is more posted, chit chat, serious stuff, helpful info etc and because it flows more quickly there is less chance of things being left to simmer or build up. Sure it may explode now and again but its dealt with, people are used to it, it blows over quickly (for the most part) and moves on. On quieter forums where many people may know each other (in person or in type) it perhaps makes it harder to move on or pass by stuff that they don't like/agree with or some such. Or people take things more personally than they otherwise might.

For myself I try to be helpful, to be decent with my posts, don't usually chit chat much (at least on here) as I've other forums to mod/read/post and don't get that much time and also find it hard to chit chat on here as its often so slow in terms of amount of posts, it kind of feels hard to post a chit chat post to a thread that is hours or days old or is so slow moving in terms of posts made. If its more in real time I tend to feel more at ease 'chatting' but as much of PIA isn't in real time for me given the time zones, I have tended not to attempt it. I like reading some of the chat between some of the others but tend to sit on the sidelines and don't join in. My bad for that but its how it is and I can't get into 'chatting' on here like I can on other forums. So I don't much. I'm far more reserved on here chat wise than I am posting elsewhere but the nature of this forum as I see and read it, doesn't flick that switch for me too often. I do try to remain civil in my posting wherever I post though.

I don't think there is ever a right or wrong in it. People are people and on forums can behave strangely on occasion (or often :tongue: ).

Well I think you maybe wrong on that account as I posted a thread on PiO asking information about Canberra and areas to live. Well one person took exception to what another wrote and went all defensive....so......it's just like the North, south, east west thing on PiA!

One thread isn't indicative of an entire forum ;)

I like PIO, even if its more of a livewire forum, its often far more quick with replies on migration, shipping and so on simply because the membership is vast and it has a lot more active members online at any given time. And of course, you can often get replies that are tetchy but you'll also get a lot of good info if asking specifics. People over there come from all over the UK and Aus so the pool of knowledge is vast. Its not always right lol and their own POV may differ to someone else but its all good in the melting pot that is PIO.

I think of PIO as more of the New York of forums (busy, loud, brash in places and all that) and PIA as Brighton or Hove or someplace similar (UK, smaller, quieter, more suburban and not loud or busy generally but can be on occasion) :cute:.

Well I think you maybe wrong on that account as I posted a thread on PiO asking information about Canberra and areas to live. Well one person took exception to what another wrote and went all defensive....so......it's just like the North, south, east west thing on PiA!

Totally agree, been a member on PIO for over 4 years and the arguments are just as bad if not worse than on here, lots more members of course.

I would say threads are not closed as often as they used to be though, but that's because there is a good team of mods now who like to let things run if possible.......although they do have to give regular warning (usually the same few) and do quite a bit of cleaning up of threads to keep them going.

Totally agree, been a member on PIO for over 4 years and the arguments are just as bad if not worse than on here, lots more members of course.

I would say threads are not closed as often as they used to be though, but that's because there is a good team of mods now who like to let things run if possible.......although they do have to give regular warning (usually the same few) and do quite a bit of cleaning up of threads to keep them going.

Define worse though? :goofy: I find PIO a different kettle of fish to PIA and often far easier to post to than here. Into the melting pot and all that.

I prefer PIO over PIA, even though it is a far more livewire forum. I expect that as it has thousands of active members, so its more to be expected things will kick off, especially in the controversial topics (and some migration ones as people like to take a view and express it, perhaps sometimes not quite as nicely as we would like :wink:).

I posted here to begin with for migration info and help, liked it and have stayed but I find I prefer to post over on PIO than here for whatever reason. Most of my migration questions have been asked over there, same for shipping and pets. I wanted a wider pool of replies and feedback and knew I'd get that over there so posted it all there. I post here when I can or need to, for example education info on here is far better as I am asking about a specific area and this forum is better for that aspect and so on. But shipping Q's I've posted mostly over on PIO as far more people to give me feedback on the shipping I am planning to use.

I think going back to the OP opening thread - it says it all. Well for me anyway. I don't post on PIO, well hardly ever visit it really but I find this forum can be a lot of "fun" too and it's good having that bit of humour in one's life. Life can be too serious at times and it's good having that laugh.

Nah that's just Wendee lol

Define worse though? :goofy:

I can see where the original poster is coming from now........if you had to reply to my post and ask me a question, why do you have to give me the :goofy: icon after.........very childish.

[h=3]worse[/h]

[TABLE=class: vk_txt ts]

[TR]

[TD]Adjective

[TABLE=class: ts]

[TR]

[TD]Of poorer quality or lower standard; less good or desirable: "the accommodations were awful, and the food was worse".[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Adverb

[TR]

[TD]Less well or skillfully.[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Noun

[TR]

[TD]A more serious or unpleasant event or circumstance: "worse was to follow".[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Synonyms

[TR]

[TD]inferior[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Hope this helps!

Guest Guest75
Why is it that people appear to forget the rules of normal human civility on forums (not talking just about this one) I always think forums are there to share information and yes share and discuss opinions as you would in a normal face to face conversation.

But......i am sure chatting to someone in a pub most people would not shove their own opinion down peoples throats in such a way that could be seen to be rude/offensive/bitter etc,

I wonder about people who have asked a question only to be hounded with boarder line offensive answers, nearly everyone on here i would think have been through or going through similar experiences and knows what a huge thing it is, and different for everyone, something i breezed could be a huge stress for someone else.

Maybe we could all try to answer posts in the way we would face to face?

We'd all be knacking each other if we met :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

For the blonde southern lady "knacking" means fighting in the proper English I speak:tongue:

Guest Claire-n-tel
This is what I don't get over here people seem to take everything the wrong way and read in to things something that's not there :wubclub:

Maybe that's part of the problem though Ktee.....different people will read things in different ways, for example there may be a joke i would tell to a close friend that i know well, but i may not tell it to someone i have just met as i do not know how they may or may not receive it, same joke, possibly very different outcome.

Guest Guest75
I think going back to the OP opening thread - it says it all. Well for me anyway. I don't post on PIO, well hardly ever visit it really but I find this forum can be a lot of "fun" too and it's good having that bit of humour in one's life. Life can be too serious at times and it's good having that laugh.

Yep, I like winding you up nearly as much as Mad Moo :wacko::biglaugh:

You two (and others) give it back though but all a bit of banter.:cute::cute:

Guest Guest75
This is what I don't get over here people seem to take everything the wrong way and read in to things something that's not there :wubclub:

No they don't!!!!!!! :tongue:

Now it's your turn to go Panto mode and say "Yes they do"!!!!!!:biglaugh:

Guest Guest75
Maybe that's part of the problem though Ktee.....different people will read things in different ways, for example there may be a joke i would tell to a close friend that i know well, but i may not tell it to someone i have just met as i do not know how they may or may not receive it, same joke, possibly very different outcome.

Didn't like to say but that joke you told me this morning was a bit blue, had to put my hands over the fur kids ears!!:shocked::shocked::swoon::swoon::swoon:

Guest Claire-n-tel
We'd all be knacking each other if we met :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

That is more what i was talking about really.....

it seems some people feel able to fulfill the need to assert themselves in that boarderline aggresive manner, without having to face any possible consequences when perhaps they lack the confidence to do this in real life

Edited by Claire-n-tel

it seems some people feel able to fulfill the need to assert themselves in that boarderline aggresive manner, without having to face any possible consequences when perhaps they lack the confidence to do this in real life

I'm glad we don't have any of them on this forum, the other forums, ummm, I've lost count

It's just internet: when you sit in front of a monitor you don't risk any punch on the nose even if you show the worst of your behaviour. That risk may be sensibly higher if you sit in front of your interlocutor, and this prevents...:biggrin: