North V South Adelaide

Ktee

Now I have been very wary about writing this post but I'm often asked what's the difference between the North and South in Adelaide and I haven't a clue apart from it starts arguments on here. So please, without attacking areas where other members live can you give me the pros and cons of living in the North or South.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sarah Bradley

I work both and live south. I have no problem with either, but as far as I've heard the history is that immigrants (10 pound poms 30 - 40 years ago) were made to live north (Elizabeth) and the ones that couldn't afford to move stayed there. That area now has a general reputation but as always some areas are ok and some are not.

I like south because of the beaches and the transport I also have SA's biggest shopping centre just a 5 minute walk away as well as trains and buses into the city.

There isn't really a North vs South. It's more of an North East vs South if anything. There are some lovely suburbs in the north east but some rather rough and not so great places in the North.

There are some lovely suburbs in the south as well. Some of them though are so far south that they are not really part of Adelaide any more and are more areas in there own right. And if you drive down main south road to get to any of the southern suburbs it can really put you off. Main north road is a bit the same though. And if we drive down the southern express way I feel like I'm going to a place really far away and isolated. Can't help it - it's passing open spaces that make me feel that way. If we drive along the coast road it all feels far less isolated.

There is also a whole heap of suburbs both east and west of Adelaide as well as north and south. The eastern suburbs are generally really nice, verging on the really posh and pretty expensive. There are also areas that aren't quite so nice/posh, but generally they are all okay. There are also some very posh suburbs just to the north, west and south of Adelaide, close to the city (North Adelaide, Medinidi and Unley spring to mind). To the west you have the beach suburbs, most of which are nice and some which have very posh parts. The suburbs between the city and the beaches on the west I don't know that well, but I do know there are some nice and some not so nice areas to the west.

For me the big pro of living east is being near the city and having good public transport links. From talking to people from different areas the east/north east seems to have the better transport links of Adelaide. The area I live in is right next to the hills and is very green, although gets less green as you head down towards the city. Morialta conservation park is just a short walk from our house and yet the city is just 9kms away. It is a bit of a trek to the beach though.

I work both and live south. I have no problem with either, but as far as I've heard the history is that immigrants (10 pound poms 30 - 40 years ago) were made to live north (Elizabeth) and the ones that couldn't afford to move stayed there. That area now has a general reputation but as always some areas are ok and some are not.

I like south because of the beaches and the transport I also have SA's biggest shopping centre just a 5 minute walk away as well as trains and buses into the city.

Would you call Marion south? I would have said it was more west. I've always thought of that kind of area as west rather than south anyway.

See, I work with people from around Elizabeth and Sailsbury, and the attitudes just seem so different. We have had to sack people for driving in, while banned, DRUNK. We had someone shooting at the place last week! There are break ins all the time. The language is shocking (f and c word used in just about every sentence by some, no exaggeration). Most of them seem to have been arrested for something or other (except for the Cambodians I work with, they are all lovely).

We are just down the road from where the snowtown murders were. One girl, the father of her child is in prison for murder. One person's mother in law was murdered.... One lad, his brother was locked up last week after attacking his Dad with a knife, and then going on the run. Police helicopters all out etc. One woman's husband was a drug dealer and ran a brothel before he died. Another has just split with her boyfriend (she is in her 50s) because he has got hooked on heroin.

And we had a lad work there for a bit who was a member of the gypsy jokers, who kept asking me out!! Even though I was married!

Crazy that it can be so different.

Guest Guest12727

I had never heard of a North / South divide until I came on this forum and I was brought up in Adelaide! Perhaps I was away for too long?

Yes there are good and not so good suburbs everywhere. While Elizabeth (Nth) is considered a high crime area, I believe the Christies region (Sth) is as bad, if not worse. A pommie policeman friend who has worked in both locations says he prefers to work Elizabeth over Christies any day. We have worked in Colonnades (Sth), Elizabeth Shopping Centre (Nth) and Tea Tree Plaza (NE) and have found the people pretty much the same, but noticeably more English at Colonnades.

The one thing that I have been surprised about on PIA is that Pt Noarlunga and surrounds are considered suburbs of Adelaide. Neither would I say towns in the Barossa Valley are suburbs of Adelaide. They are each beautiful places to visit, fantastic for a weekend away and no doubt great to live, especially if you are lucky enough to have work in the region. They are just too long a commute to the City for me to consider them as a suburb of Adelaide. I know some people do this happily and it is their choice, (my sister lived in Nuri for yrs and her husband works Port Adelaide, however they eventually tired of the commute and moved closer in) but I do get a bit worried that the very South or very North are so readily recommended to potential immigrants who may not fully comprehend the layout of Adelaide.

Talk about opening a can of worms!:arghh:

I live down south (ish!)

Both myself and my OH grew up in the UK...in areas that many people are now moving here from. We met overseas in a stunning coastal city and for us the suburb that we live in (Port Noarlunga) reminds us so much of the stunning place that we left behind. Everything that I need be it beaches, reserves, wine regions, shops etc are just a few minutes away.

I find the north to be busy, noisy, heavy industry, traffic.... but some people like that.:biglaugh:

When we arrived 6 years ago I started out this side of the world in the scenic south! and wouldn't want to live anywhere else (maybe a few minutes walk closer to the beach).

Tamara

Guest wijaya

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/country-areas-contributing-most-to-prison-population/story-e6frea83-1226660990381

[h=1]Country areas contributing most to prison population[/h]SOUTH Australia's most remote region, Indulkana, has the state's highest incarceration rate, while Port Augusta has the highest number of former residents behind bars.

Corrections Department statistics obtained by The Advertiser show that of the state's 2256 prisoners in mid-May, 92 had their last registered address at Port Augusta.

Seventy previously resided in Murray Bridge, 62 in Adelaide, 59 in Parafield Gardens and 50 in Davoren Park.

As a percentage of prisoners per 1000 population, Indulkana, in the APY Lands, has the highest rate of incarceration, followed by Woodville Gardens, Port Augusta, Davoren Park and Berri.

Adelaide University Advocacy and Justice Unit director David Caruso said the data showed prisoners often came from lower socio-economic areas.

003055-an-prisoners-graphic.jpg

"There are a number of regional areas that are over-represented ... and that should be of concern for correctional services, the justice system and the Government," he said.

"These are regional areas where they have small populations to begin with so the fact that they are approaching the top of the lists in terms of incarceration rates is a concern. One of the most serious things is that there is a very limited number of opportunities for employment, for work, for education and everything that keeps people out of trouble (in these areas).

"When they are not provided, people find other things to occupy their times which aren't always within the law."

Of the prison population, 692 had "null" listed for their address because they are not compelled to provide it.

"I would hazard a guess that many of those would be because they don't have a particular address," Mr Caruso said.

"The concern for the justice system is when you have people who are itinerant - who have no particular location or loyalty - they are also people who are more likely to feel no particular connection with a place, and feel no particular obligation to abide by its rules and laws."

Police and Corrections Minister Michael O'Brien said resources had been directed to areas with higher crime rates.

Neighbourhood Policing Teams are in place in Elizabeth, the South Coast and Western Adelaide policing areas, with plans for a fourth team at Holden Hill.

I live down south (ish!)

Both myself and my OH grew up in the UK...in areas that many people are now moving here from. We met overseas in a stunning coastal city and for us the suburb that we live in (Port Noarlunga) reminds us so much of the stunning place that we left behind. Everything that I need be it beaches, reserves, wine regions, shops etc are just a few minutes away.

I find the north to be busy, noisy, heavy industry, traffic.... but some people like that.:biglaugh:

When we arrived 6 years ago I started out this side of the world in the scenic south! and wouldn't want to live anywhere else (maybe a few minutes walk closer to the beach).

Tamara

How often do you go to the northern suburbs? Personally I hardly ever go further than Modbury and although I wouldn't choose to live there it's okay. We go over to Gepps Cross homemaker centre occasionally but not very often. Most of our travel in the 'north' is to my sister in laws at Fairview Park, which is most definitely not a busy, noisy, heavy industry traffic area.

Guest Guest12727
Would you call Marion south? I would have said it was more west. I've always thought of that kind of area as west rather than south anyway.

I know what you mean. When people are talking of this South divide thing I think of far further south suburbs than Marion, this to me south west, as we are North east.

The one thing that I have been surprised about on PIA is that Pt Noarlunga and surrounds are considered suburbs of Adelaide. Neither would I say towns in the Barossa Valley are suburbs of Adelaide. They are each beautiful places to visit, fantastic for a weekend away and no doubt great to live, especially if you are lucky enough to have work in the region. They are just too long a commute to the City for me to consider them as a suburb of Adelaide. I know some people do this happily and it is their choice, (my sister lived in Nuri for yrs and her husband works Port Adelaide, however they eventually tired of the commute and moved closer in) but I do get a bit worried that the very South or very North are so readily recommended to potential immigrants who may not fully comprehend the layout of Adelaide.

That is how my hubby views it also. He doesn't see those suburbs as part of Adelaide itself, but that is is part of the expanding sprawl but that they are towns/communities in their own right.

I address a letter to Adelaide, if its going to say Hallet Cove or Port Noarlunga I'd address it to there and not use 'Adelaide' anywhere in the address. I do the same for suburbs even closer in too.

Its a bit like us here in the UK atm. We live in the Bristol area but not *in* Bristol. We can get into Bristol itself (the centre) quicker than many who are in its built up area, get lumped in as Bristol for delivery area etc but are not Bristol. Seems to be a generalisation and covering the greater area, like London and Greater London (which was never part of London itself to begin with and only met up with it as it all expanded and was built up on).

Guest Guest12727

Tamara

....but are you comparing south that is much further out (35km) than busy northern suburbs? I found South Rd as you have described and you only have to be 20km NE where we live and it is not at all busy. Is it a case of getting off the major arterial rds and finding the good pockets. These can be found all around Adelaide.

We lived north ish when arrived, handy for city BUT found it very busy, noisy, bit rough in places and i personally would not go out at nite or let my kids play outside on bikes etc, housing was expensive and always had to queue for everything!! now we live down south, for us its better, quiet, feels safer, houses are affordable and great schools, lots to do if you like the outdoor stuff, downsides are - quite a distance to city if you want to go to shows, shops etc etc but we much prefer it down here, but that's our opinion and the quiet life suits us and our children, there is plenty for them to do within a ten min drive, bowling, cinema, ice skating, plenty shops, and kids parks etc, lovely restaurants down here too!! but each to their own and totally depends on what floats ya boat :-) :-) :-)

Main roads are busy in the North. But then again they are in the south too. Both places have main roads!!

One could say there is more traffic in the north, not sure there is, but that's because we are the gateway to the rest of the country. If you keep going south you end up in Seaford and the next stop is the South Pole. So logically there is more freight going out through the northern roads.

I love the North East with views to the hills and views down to the sea. As with any country there are areas I would not want to live up north as there are areas I wouldn't want to live down South. Both north and south have their industrial areas without which lots of us would be unemployed. Agree with what someone else has said and that is the 'North South' divide only exists on this forum and amongst the British.

I know in Melbourne they have a East/West divide. The West use to be considered industrial and working class where people in the East were snobs. The West has changed so much over the years and more families are moving there for the cheaper housing and how its closer to the city. I still prefer the East, I cannot explain why it just feels right.

I've lived in the North Eastern suburbs for 20 years, my children played out - we went out after dark and guess what - we're still here and both children have got very good jobs and they and their children are doing well and still go out at night!!!!!!! But we could move down to the southern suburbs where its just like being in England because that's where they all seem to gather................. no I dont think so.

Edited by Ktee
Personal attacks won't be tolerated

Main roads are busy in the North. But then again they are in the south too. Both places have main roads!!

One could say there is more traffic in the north, not sure there is, but that's because we are the gateway to the rest of the country. If you keep going south you end up in Seaford and the next stop is the South Pole. So logically there is more freight going out through the northern roads.

I drive an hour north every day and back. The only place i

I have problems with traffic is coming back down south. As soon as I hit the Gallipoli underpass the traffic is crawling. Such a pain.

I'm not sure how people have not heard of the north south divide, I hear it mentioned at least weekly.

But I do hear bad things about Christies beach and noarlunga too.

Guest Guest12727

A friend who lives Strathalbyn posted on facebook that they had travelled to Gawler for football last weekend. She had no problem with that but one kid in the opposition team from Burton said "it was too far to go home last night so they stayed somewhere nearby". Perhaps there are just some people who don't move outside their own location?

When I lived in Poole, Dorset, I came across people who had never been to London and had no desire to! To them it was a different world. Some people have the desire to travel and see knew things, and I suspect that most on PIA fit into this mould, while others are happy where they are and have strong networks around them.

Like everywhere there are good and bad spots everywhere, and also depends on what you define as north and south. I admit I'm a bit of a snob about some things and would not like to live anywhere north of Regency Road and don't really like any areas I've seen from there up until you hit the Barossa. Likewise I wouldn't be overjoyed to live in some southern suburbs like Hackham. However if I had to choose between the two, I'd definitely go south for the beaches and for McLaren Vale.

There are suburbs I'd be very happy in in all directions from Adelaide - in fact there aren't many suburbs I'd rule out in the inner metro area. I think a lot of it comes down to convenience of where you work and your personal taste. If you like countryside/hills then you'd probably like east of the city, north east or the areas around Blackwood, Eden Hills, Coromandel Valley, if you like beaches then the whole of the coast is your oyster, if you want to be within walking/short commuting distance to the city then obviously go the inner metro area. I don't think you can rule out/choose huge chunks just going on whether it's 'north' or 'south' etc.

Like everywhere there are good and bad spots everywhere, and also depends on what you define as north and south. I admit I'm a bit of a snob about some things and would not like to live anywhere north of Regency Road and don't really like any areas I've seen from there up until you hit the Barossa. Likewise I wouldn't be overjoyed to live in some southern suburbs like Hackham. However if I had to choose between the two, I'd definitely go south for the beaches and for McLaren Vale.

There are suburbs I'd be very happy in in all directions from Adelaide - in fact there aren't many suburbs I'd rule out in the inner metro area. I think a lot of it comes down to convenience of where you work and your personal taste. If you like countryside/hills then you'd probably like east of the city, north east or the areas around Blackwood, Eden Hills, Coromandel Valley, if you like beaches then the whole of the coast is your oyster, if you want to be within walking/short commuting distance to the city then obviously go the inner metro area. I don't think you can rule out/choose huge chunks just going on whether it's 'north' or 'south' etc.

That's what I wanted to say but couldn't quite get the words right so gave up. Beaches are the big reason we discounted north, easy commute to the city meant we have been renting in the west suburbs, but now it's time to buy we are moving south so we can afford something and still have easy access to the beaches (as we made good use of them in our first year). Commute will suffer though - that's the compromise. As you say, it's impossible to label whole areas and we've been pretty picky about where we wanted to be "down south" - I personally find large parts of it quite uninspiring.