Are you a beach person?

Ktee

Personally even though we live a short drive to beaches like this

210711115308palm-cove.jpg

tqld_palm-cove.jpg

We never hardly go to them, I am more an outback, rainforest type of girl.

So how often do you go to the beach and did you move to your suburb to be close to them.

Don't really like spending time on the beaches here in SA, mainly because they are sandy and flat, and the only places where you have stuff under the water to see you also have the threat of big sharp toothed sharky things that would like to eat you for dinner! The things my family like doing in the sea are snorkelling and diving, so we tend to go on hols to places like the South Pacific where you can do this more, and don't visit the local beaches very often - whilst I wouldn't mind sitting reading a book on the sand, OH gets bored very quickly... plus I hate getting sand everywhere!

Don't really like spending time on the beaches here in SA, mainly because they are sandy and flat, and the only places where you have stuff under the water to see you also have the threat of big sharp toothed sharky things that would like to eat you for dinner! The things my family like doing in the sea are snorkelling and diving, so we tend to go on hols to places like the South Pacific where you can do this more, and don't visit the local beaches very often - whilst I wouldn't mind sitting reading a book on the sand, OH gets bored very quickly... plus I hate getting sand everywhere!

You sound just like Rob, he doesn't like the beach because sand gets everywhere lol. Do you get lots of sharks down there?

Living just a 5 minute drive to the beach this past year we found that we weren't going for days out like we would have felt obliged to before in the UK but have spent more time just going down in the evening after tea or straight from school and that's been really good because the children didn't have the time to get bored (although they still managed to squabble...).

When we were recently looking at buying our first house here I would have been OK with moving away from the beach but would have had to have a pool - so I think I'm more of a water person than a beach person but since saying that I would miss walking around Glenelg and West Beach and seeing the dolphins splashing around and I know that when we do move and I won't see the sea every morning when I drop the children to school I'll miss it.

Guest Sunflower12906

My nearest one is Semaphore, but usually end up at Grange, takes about 30 mins from where i live and usually there 3 times a month this time of year or 3 times a week in the summer.

I think there is a bit of a difference from liking the coast and the beach too - love coastal walks (used to live in Cornwall and Devon) as much as bush walks. Sitting around on the beach can get a bit dull after awhile. Standing on the coast down at Port Elliot and taking in the view is just.....amazing.

Love the beach and it's why I chose to live in Glenelg. Love to swim, snorkel, paddle, walk along the esplanade, lie down with a good book, enjoy a picnic on the sand or a BBQ on the esplanade... the list goes on. I love the beaches down south like Second Valley, Port Elliot, Normanville and Rapid Bays for long summer days...

beach all day every day for us :-) live right on the beach in Moana, we surf, swim, snorkel you name it we do it!! one of the main reasons we moved to Oz was that we could beach more than in UK, we lived also right on the beach in Hampshire and we needed that here... mind you warmer climates are beckoning....

We enjoy the occasional day out at the beach but don't have the urge to live in a beach-side suburb (we live up in the hills). We did the beach thing quite a bit last summer, but the summer before we didn't go once. When on holiday, though, I like nothing better than lazing around on a beach, with a shady bar not too far away for when it gets just a bit too hot ...

You sound just like Rob, he doesn't like the beach because sand gets everywhere lol. Do you get lots of sharks down there?

When we first got here I booked my OH into a refresher diving course (He'd done BSAC in the UK) which he duly did, and got his PADI license... then shortly afterwards there were about three or four attacks in the local waters- one was a kneeboarder I think, another was a diver just climbing out of the water and one was a snorkeller - not sure about the other one - and that put him right off! The kids have since got their PADI licenses too (in Vanuatu) but none of them are keen to dive off SA beaches! They also all used to sail in the UK, but again, capsizing in water where you might get eaten, rather than just swallow a bit of mud, hasn't appealed since we've been here!

I guess we are lucky where we live - fantastic hills and park to walk in, river for the dog to swim in and drink if she gets thirsty, very good dog owners who clear up after themselves (only dog beach we went on here in SA didn't seem to benefit from the same luck :sad:) and off lead permissions on our side of the park all year round, not just in the winter months like on a lot of the beaches.

We enjoy the occasional day out at the beach but don't have the urge to live in a beach-side suburb (we live up in the hills). We did the beach thing quite a bit last summer, but the summer before we didn't go once. When on holiday, though, I like nothing better than lazing around on a beach, with a shady bar not too far away for when it gets just a bit too hot ...

That reminds me, Normanville here is excellent for that - when the kids were smaller they could play in the sand while we sat in the cafe there with a glass of wine! Not many beaches here in SA you can do that though... Even Henley which has lots of nice bars and cafes, you can't really see your small kids on the beach easily from them

Love the beach .. always down there in summer. Mainly Christies, but like Seacliff and Brighton and also Moana. Love going down for a quick play after dinner, with the kids on a school night .. or fish n chips on a Friday night.

Definitely moved here for the climate and the beaches ... so chose to live near them .. 10 min drive away.

Also, love a walk down the beach, on my own .. whilst kids are at school.

Kids love to swim in the sea, boogie boarding, surfing etc

Anywhere I go in the world, I like beaches for walking on (especially in rough winter weather here in the Uk though it can be so so cold and wet).

Doing anything remotely holiday like, like sitting under an umbrella or lying out reading a book, I am bored in 5 minutes :cute:

We take our son to the beach for an afternoon with a bucket and spade and all that and have a great time, but I'd not do it too often.

While I love the coastline in and around Adelaide I actually preferred the coastline further down south out onto the ocean and loved beach walking down there. And the surf was fab to see and hear. Am looking forward to exploring more beaches in and around the Adelaide area though once we are there permanently. Will love being 5 minutes from Glenelg beach to begin with as son will love a trip down there in the evening for a splash after school I am sure.

Not a beach person. I have tried to be... But I'm just not. The nicest beach, and the one I have felt most comfortable sunbathing on is Maslins.

Now I have a 4wd I might do a bit more beach visiting in the summer if I can drive on and have my picnic etc.

At the moment the only time I go to the beach is to launch the boat. :-)

I quite like the beach although I'm wary of sitting on one for too long in case of sunburn. My kids prefer beaches with waves so prefer the Port Elliot type areas, which are definitely more of a day out or weekend away for us. The nearest beach is about 45 minutes drive away so being near the beach wasn't top on my list of priorities when considering where to live. My brother in law and his wife live at Henley beach so we will do a trip to Grange beach then down to the family for a visit. Makes the trip seem like less of a long way for just an hour or two on the beach. I do sometimes think it would be nice to be a bit closer so it was just a 30 minute drive, but given we are building a house here in Rostrevor that's not going to happen anytime soon so will keep driving.

I love the beach!

I love it when it's cold and the waves beat upon the shore bringing high mounds of seaweed with them. I like being rugged up, with the dogs running around and the beach almost empty.

I love it in the early morning in the heat of the summer when everyone on the beach has a purpose, whether it's boarding, walking the dogs, exercising etc all alongside the few parents that have brought the littlies down to enjoy themselves before the temperature rises too far.

I love going down with friends and some nibbles etc and I love it when we walk as the sun is setting. I love seeing in the New Year on the beach....

Hmmm, looks like I am a beach person...who lives in the foothills lol!

:cool: LC

I love the beach, kids love it if they have friends with them, wife not such a beach person, I try to get down to Port Willunga as much as possible, especially summer when I meet my Bestie down there for our Man chats (Hi Dean). With such a great beach on our doorstep how can I not love it, and it too was one of the lures of coming out here!

Guest sithewindows

Where are these photos taken?

Personally even though we live a short drive to beaches like this

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6495[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6496[/ATTACH]

We never hardly go to them, I am more an outback, rainforest type of girl.

So how often do you go to the beach and did you move to your suburb to be close to them.