Back from Adelaide....love it

Guest Kiki

Hi Everyone,

Well we are back from our Recci in Adelaide and our verdict is Yes it is for us. We left a very snowy blighty Easter Sunday. We flew with Qantas via Singapore/ Melbourne then eventually to Adelaide and arrived Tuesday March 25th. Tired but in in piece. The kids were great on the plane and I took loads of colouring books etc but they sleep most of the way and they werent touched. despite different opions about Qantas we had a good experience with them plenty drinks food and fruit throughout the flight. Leg room was restrictive but we were in coach and you only get what you pay for. Poor hubby is 6 foot 2 but like I said we survived to tell he tale.

We were met at the airport by our host Keith (guzzler) and his daughter Kenya then set of to their rental in Huntfield Height. On the way Keith did a slight detour so we could pick up the keys for our property which we bought in Aldinga Beach from the agent in Christie Beach.

Dropped bags at the rental which was lovely and an excellent base for our trip. Very clean, it had everything you could need and located in a quiet new housing estate in an excellent location to all the amenties of the area. There was a handy map book in the rental which was our bible for 2 weeks. Next Keith took us to the are rental then we were released on Adelaide. We chose an automatic Xtrail to serve us for two weeks. It took a few days of adjusting not having gears and right p until the last day I would flip on the window wipers instead of the indicator.

We decided we wanted to stay up all day or try to and couldnt wait any longer so we drove down to Aldinga to see our house. And thank god it was there and was identical to the pictures we had no real suprises except maybe it was bigger then I expected. My 3 year old was duly confused because including the rental in Huntfield heights she thinks we own 3 houses. Bless. Over the course of our time in Adelaide we visited the house and area and are really pleased we have a base to go to and are really happy with our choice.

Over the 2 weeks we booked appointments at 5 schools 2 private and 3 state. We decided pretty quickly which school was for us and Max is really happy with our choice. He will be starting Maclaren Vale Primary in Jan 09 and Millie will go to Madge Sextons Kindergarten which is attached to the school. the other schools we visited were Galilee and Aldinga Primary both in Aldinga Beach. Moana Primary and All Saints in Seaford.

We visited Cleland Wildlife Park and got to cuddle a Koala and feed the kangaroos. We visited Adelaide which was a lovely city and very clean. Had a drive to Victors Harbour. Went to Port Norlunga beach and the Fort Park there which is a firm favourite. I had a day out with the ladies of PIA in West Lakes and had a lovely lunch/ shopping and chocolate munching day. Everyone was really nice and friendly so thanks to all those ladies. Kelvin had a day at the Rugby with the boys and he was missing from 9am till he sauntered in a 11.15 at night after having to walk from the bus stop slighty worse for wear. And the next day we all went to the rugby with a bunch of families and again had another really nice day of munching and chatting while the kids played.

There is just so much to say and tell and I could go on ... a couple of our funnies from the trip were.... Everything is in Kilo's and Im not good with that kind of thing so the first day I go into the supermarket and Im looking at the deli counter and and trying to hear what the other woman are asking for. Obviosly not very well cos I ask for a kilo of Turkey. The girl behind the counter obviously knew I was fresh meat cos she wraps a half a kilo and looks at me as she pops it on the counter and says slowly thats half a kilo and waits for my response. Which was oh thats a lots thanks that will do blush blush ha.

I booked into the schools to have a look around and got caught out with Moana Primary which I pronouced Moan 'a' The principle called pronoucing it totally different to me and Im like o I dont know where that school is Im not sure I called you only when she gave me the address did the penny drop. They pronouce it Mo warna.

At the Fort Park there are loads of BBQ so Kelvin decides to check out if they are working. he flicks one on amd pops the kids into the loo's he comes back a few mins later o check if it had warmed up. Warm it was to say the least and he burnt his hand. He wont do that again.

So we are back and cant wait to return despite having not the best weather while we were there we found Adelaide was the place for us a bit like England years ago with better weather. Price wise we found secondhand cars expensive and food pretty much on par you just have to shop a round prices go up and down like a tap dancers wig including Petrol. Eating out did seem cheaper and we spent during the 14 days on average $100 a day which was pretty good going for a hunrgy family of 4.

Thanks loads to Sarah and Keith for your hospitality and helping us meet some new people and ofcourse Keiths Lasagne very tasty...

Thanks to Sarah (likesshopping) who helped us with the purchase of our new house and her continued help and friendship. We had such a nice last night both you and Chris are so positive about Adelaide it really rubs off.

To anyone else I met and welcomed us thanks to you too.

Adelaide here we come Jan 09:o

The Thirkles

Hey Kiki,

Glad you enjoyed your trip to Adelaide...... sounds like you have had a wonderful time and you cant wait to get back there!! Its good to hear that its the place for you!

I've always pronounced Moana the same as you....learn something new everydayi suppose!

Good luck with planning the rest...see ya over there!

Dan and Steph

Guest mOZzy

thanks for taking the time to do this post!!!!

and what a nice one too ;)

i am glad the house is like you expected it .. and more!!!

good luck with things to come!

Guest happy-jools

Weve heard it first hand, but it was good to read it.

Cant wait to be there ourselves, and our gratitude to you for the rental etc. You know what I mean.

See you there in January 09, although Im sure a few more times before we go in 9 weeks.xx

:cute:

Guest JPT07

Hi Kiki,

Great post. We arrived in January and have recently moved into our house in Aldinga Beach. Our girls go to school at Willunga primary which is about 10min away. We have all settled well and love Aldinga. You'll have to pop over for a cuppa when you arrive for good.

Lorna.:)

Guest soggy

Hi,

great to here you enjoyed your trip, bet you can't wait to get back.

in aus how they pronounce place names and how we would pronounce them are oftern completely different, makes asking for directions fun.:)

simon

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Good to hear you guys arrived back home safely, hope you've managed to finish the turkey and Kelvin's hand (and hangover) are on the mend, look foward to your return in early 09, take care and speak soon,

Guzzler & Sas

Guest graandjac

:)Hi Guys , great news about Adelaide and have to agree about Guzzler & Sas's hospitality & rentel , glad you enjoyed Adelaide and what it had to offer , and have to agree with you, Cheers Gra & jac

Guest jill wright

Hi

Thanks for taking the time to post such an informative and long post. Really encouraging for us folks waiting for visas espeicially people like us who are taking the plunge with no reccie.

Jill&PhilX

Hi Kiki,

Glad u went and found it as good as you had hoped. Sounded like you got alot done while you was there and got to see what you wanted. Bet you cant wait to get there now and move into the new house. Great read in the post and glad it was all you had hoped for

Guest maxxangel
Hi,

great to here you enjoyed your trip, bet you can't wait to get back.

in aus how they pronounce place names and how we would pronounce them are oftern completely different, makes asking for directions fun.:)

simon

That reminds me of when I worked on directory enquiries. The Americans often came up with some interesting pronunciations. One chap asked for a number in "looga-barooga". It turned out he was trying to pronounce Loughborough. :biglaugh:

Thanks everyone from your comments.

You are right I really cant wait till Jan 09. Its really frustrating having our house there and us been here. But we still have to sell our house in England and the market is still slow.

So Im trying to focus and all the lasts we will be having, last birthdays, last Christmases etc. And intend to shop up a storm in the summer sales. Clothes dont seem that great and they are quite pricey. For example a basic pair of joggy bottoms for my 7 year old from Asda were £4.00 and there a similar pair were £19.99 in Target. Underware for kids seems pricy as well. Didnt really look at Adult clothes except its all quite casual. Not so sure i will take up on the trend of joggy bottoms and a jumper at the shopping centers look though maybe a little too casual for my tastes. lol.

We will ship eveything we can possibly fit into a container as why buy if we already have it in good working order. i did notice you could get some good prices in the sales. They are always sending out offer catalogues in the mail so its easy to see where the bargains are.

Thanks again

Kimberley x:jiggy:

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Hi guys

Glad you had a great time - enjoyed meeting you all too.

You say that now Kimberly about joggers bottoms, wait until you are here, you soon get used to it. Yesterday I nipped down the bottle shop because we had run out of wine - outrageous! in my slippers! You soon climatise!

Good luck for now

Sas

xxx

Guest The Pottertons

Hi Kimberley, great post, hope you dont mind but ive pm'd you. Will take your advice on hitting the sales- well i need no encouragement really!!! Yvonne

Guest reevendeb

:Dhiya kiki just read your entry of your reccie visit to adelaide, and we have to agree it really does sound nice. we were,nt fortunate to go on a reccie visit as everything seems to have moved fairly quickly. we lodged our visa application on aug,10, 07, then we were granted the visa,s on 17 march this year. we sold our house back in nov,07 since living in rented accomadation. booked our flights for the 29, july08 can,t wait as you can immagine.

you,ve painted a very good picture of adelaide in your stay there, we have 3 teenage kids 2 girls and a lad and we were thinking maybe it would be in our best interest to rent a property within fairly easy reach of the city centre as i think the outer lying areas maybe a bit quiet for the kids you know, could you maybe shine any light on this as to what you experienced whilst over there. i do understand that on the whole no matter where we choose to live its going to be a big improvement on damp old south shields.

just up the road from you i think in durham, the flights we are on leave durham tees valley airport as well like. did you get a feel for the overall availailitie of the rental accomadation whilst over there too. thanks..kiki.:realmad:

Guest MandisFam

Just wanted to say Hello and thanks for a lovely positive post about Adelaide. Adelaide is our number 1 choice for oz just can't wait to see it for myself.

Mandisfam

Guest Nicky&Andy

:jiggy:loved reading all about your recci . so pleased you found everything so positive( except the joggers, lol ) its good to hear about experiences as hopefully were not intending to go on a recci, unless we dont sale our house and have to go to activate our visa's, great read thanks again

nicky