Essentials to Bring

Ktee

For those who have made the move already, what, if anything would you bring with you if you had to make the move again.

For us I think it would be:

coat hangers we threw thousands when we moved and they are expensive to buy.

Shoes - The quality doesn't seem as good over here especially kids school shoes from Williams.

Bedding - Bedding is expensive

Personal things - I threw all my photos and old letters :sad:

Bisto - Ok, yes I know I should be worshipping all things Australian, but their gravy just doesn't do it for me.

Agree with coat hangers. We never seem to have enough and have bought loads since being here. I was going to bring more with me but we stayed in the UK for 7 weeks after shipping everything and I had taken loads of coat hangers with me to hang clothes at my mums rather than shipping them. Unfortunately though I just couldn't fit them all in my suitcases when I came to pack everything up. The kids toys and clothes took priority apparently.....

Personally I've been buying bedding at Target so far, which is as good as anything bought at Asda or Dunelm and comparable in price. Or really cheap if you get it in the sales. $17.99 for a kids single duvet and pillow case isn't exactly expensive. And the fitted King Size sheet we bought from K-mart for about the same price has lasted far longer than the one we got for more at Dunelm before moving over. I suppose if you care about thread count and quality cotton it would cost more, but then it would be more in the UK as well.

We actually brought pretty much everything except outside stuff so I don't have anything I wish we had brought with us. Sometimes I wish we brought some outdoor furniture but most of it was falling apart and the other stuff we didn't have time/couldn't be bothered to clean so it was never really going to be practical to bring it. I wish we could have brought the central heating and my gas fire and limestone fireplace, but I don't think that was practical either.

I wish I'd bought more work and casual clothes before leaving the UK. Not because they are expensive here but because I knew which shops to go in for stuff I like that fits. I'm still working that out here after nearly a year.

We came with only a 20kg bag each, so there is lots I would have bought.

Coat hangers I was given by someone off free cycle when I got here.

I wish I had bought my dishwasher and my condenser tumble dryer.

That's about it really. I actually think it did me good leaving everything. I'm a bit of a hoarder. I could do with doing the same now lol.

I shall make sure to keep all our hangers then. And perhaps buy a few more from the £1 shop.

Yes do, I haven't bought any for a while but in Melbourne it was 5 for $10 :shocked: Im sure there will be cheaper places around but you don't get any freebies here

Yes do, I haven't bought any for a while but in Melbourne it was 5 for $10 :shocked: Im sure there will be cheaper places around but you don't get any freebies here

Ohhhh yes you do, but you have to ask. I've only had one place say no (and I've never been back as they were rude about it). The new self scan thingies at Kmart and target etc are great, you don't even need to ask. :-D

Guest Adelaide_bound

Lol totally agree on coat hangers - we literally had in the near thousands as we ran a costume and clothing label company back in the uk but just skipped all of them :o can't believe it now.....sob ikea wooden hangerd aren't too bad though for sturdy types and cheapy kmart for thinner type :)

happy I packed loads of beauty stuff, although wish I'd packed even more lol.

Other than that not really fussed and can find everything at prices I'm happy to pay :)

Guest Bonnydoon7

I get loads of stuff like coathangers from cheap as chips, reject shop and cunninghams when quality doesnt have to be tops, and they are pretty good. And from neds too.

If you ever think you might go skiing here in Australia (or Japan/New Zealand) bring some ski wear with you! I was trying to find a second hand ski jacket for my son this week - second hand on Ebay Australia is about three times the price of buying something NEW from the UK.... actually if you have ski wear, and don't think you'll use it here, bring it anyway and sell it on Ebay - you'll make a fortune!