Big Day Out Adelaide

Ktee

After 19 years of calling the Showgrounds its home in Adelaide, there might be a venue change for the Big Day Out.

The festival has applied to the Adelaide City Council to stage its January 31, 2014 show at the 17 hectare Bonython Park, situated on north-western side of the River Torrens – bordered by Port Road. The Council is calling for a public discussion on the application until Tuesday July 16.

It warns on its website that access to the park would be restricted to residents for two weeks, while the festival is set up and then dismantled. Big Day Out traditionally draws 35,000 to its Adelaide show.

Bonython Park has also been home to festivals as Soundwave, Stereosonic and Future Music. But many of these festivals are leaving to use the Council’s new $2.7 million festival space, west of Ellis Park at the Showground. It will be ready by November, with the new two-date Stereosonic the first to use it, on December 6 and 7.

Summadayze is also expected to be staged there on December 14, moving from Rymill Park.

Guest Adelaide_bound

I like events at Bonython, its easier to get to imho, or maybe that's just the feeling I get because the park is all open whereas the showgrounds feel really hemmed in by the main road....

Don't really think either way it matters hugely, as long as there are lovely big events, its much of a muchness, Adelaide being so small really :)

At last! That's a really sensible idea.

Traffic gets super-slow around the area because of the speed restrictions although I do like seeing all those excited faces! :smile:

I would imagine more people will get in so that will be a bonus too.

Win win lol!

LC

PS.I never think of Adelaide as small.