Making your DVD player multi region

The Monaghans

This is aimed at all you techy people out there. We have an LG HB806SG Blu Ray dvd player that used to play all our dvd's regardless of the region. Following a repair by LG they've now locked it to region 4 only and refuse to give me a code to unlock it ( I think I made my feelings about this very clear to the ****head on the other end of the phone...) Now I know that all players can be unlocked if you have the code and I've trawled t'internet for said code but to no avail. Can anyone help? I've posted on various techy forums as well but thought I'd check with my PIA family just in case!

We've just bought loads of dvds from Amazon and I think Richie will explode if he can't watch Auf Wiedersehen Pet tonight...

Here's hoping anyway. Thanks guys!

I googled 'unlock LG' plus your model and here are a couple of solutions you can try:

1) Open Tray

Press 0 three times and when region menu appears select 0 then press pause

2)Region code hack posted by vassmanov, March 23 2009:

Press the Pause button on your remote control. Using your remote control enter the code 3,1,4,1,5 and 9, At this point, a blue screen displays showing that you are in 'region altering mode'. Press the 0 button on your remote control for Region free. Press the Pause button on your remote control. Power off your player and wait a few seconds. Power on your player and your ready to go!

It worked for me (after a few false starts)

3)1. Switch off the DVD player in to Stand By mode

2. Open the DVD tray using the remote control

3. Press "pause" in the remote

4. Enter 0, 0, 0, 0 (zero 4 times)

5. The display should indicate the regional code set in the DVD and prompts for the new regional code.

6. Enter the new regional code

7. Press Pause to exit the setup

8. Switch off the DVD using the remote and wait for a while before switching it on again.

4)1. Open DVD tray

2. Press "0000" on the remote.

3. A screen will appear saying NEW REGION CODE displaying the current one.

4. Press "0" for all zones.

5. Press the "select" button on the remote.

6. Close the CD tray.

7. Power off

5)Try these steps

1. Power on (NO Disc.)

2. Press Pause

3. Enter 314159(with remote)

Display will show "FF"

4. Quickly press "0" (for all region)

5. Press pause

6. Power off and powere on after 20 secs.

Think yourself lucky you haven't got an LG 'smart' TV (if ever there was an oxymoron ...) unless you have, in which case, commiserations!

Not to put too fine a point on it, they're the biggest pile of **** ever made.

Complaints on discussion boards and knowledge bases seem to run to about a 1:1 ratio with the number of sets sold.

Thanks for listening (I feel better for that).

Jim

Lol! Don't worry, my imagination has filled in the blanks! Def won't be buying anything from them again. Sadly we already have an LG tv, fridge, dishwasher and video player! To be fair most of them still work , it's the DVD player that has given us so much grief.

Our other TV is LG and everything works a treat, but that's the previous model. It's the latest one that sucks. Even things like the very intuitive network and file sharing menus have been replaced by dopey alternatives that usually refuse to show a thumbnail. The thing flatly refuses to connect to some pre-installed apps (e.g. YouTube) and the browser is laughable (or it would be if it didn't make me cry).

Right, I've calmed down now, please don't anyone set me off again!