Animals dumped more than doubled

Ktee

The number of animals found dumped has more than doubled across the state in the past year, prompting calls for owners to better look after their pets and warnings of harsh penalties for cruelty.

I totally agree that harsher penalties should be in place for dumping pets. Not only is it animal cruelty for the pet abandoned but it has a dramatic effect on wildlife as well.

If for any reason you cant keep your pet then contact a no kill shelter I am sure there are plenty around in Adelaide.

I foster dogs for a no kill group till theses poor little cuties fine fur ever homes. The stories I here are just shocking, like people throwing dogs and cats out of moving cars or putting them in bins, how can people be so cruel???

If any of you are looking for a cat or dog please consider looking at paws & claws ( Facebook page) before heading to your pet shop.There are lots of furry friends that just want to be loved and rescued!!!

I foster dogs for a no kill group till theses poor little cuties fine fur ever homes. The stories I here are just shocking, like people throwing dogs and cats out of moving cars or putting them in bins, how can people be so cruel???

If any of you are looking for a cat or dog please consider looking at paws & claws ( Facebook page) before heading to your pet shop.There are lots of furry friends that just want to be loved and rescued!!!

Thank you for fostering it is a very rewarding experience. I worked in the veterinary field for a number of years and had to give up due to ill health but I really do miss it a lot. Do any of the pet shops in Adelaide work with the rescue groups? We started a partnership with Pets At Home in Melbourne so that the only animals they would display were rescues looking for their forever homes.

Our group has Adoption days at the P &k pet shop on Magill rd Stepney, yes they only have the rescue aminals!!!

I have Jack the Jack Russell at the moment he is one cool dude and just needs someone to give him a chance. :-)

It's so sad for our family saying goodbye but on the other hand we are so happy that we are able to be part of saving these animals!!!

There really are loads of dumped animals here. We had a kitten at work last week. I NEARLY took it home, but thankfully someone on Facebook gave her a home. She was lovely, but three really is enough.

There have been another couple of boxes of kittens found by my workmates in the last couple of years.

My first cat was one of a box dumped on the doorstep of a pet place (who doesn't sell kittens, I was given her). The last of my three the pet shop I got him from said they have kittens left there all the time. He was one of a box where the owners did actually hand then over, but they said lots don't.

Personally I think they should offer cheaper desexing. I'm sure there would be lots who would still not bother, but it might help a few more future litters.

There really are loads of dumped animals here. We had a kitten at work last week. I NEARLY took it home, but thankfully someone on Facebook gave her a home. She was lovely, but three really is enough.

There have been another couple of boxes of kittens found by my workmates in the last couple of years.

My first cat was one of a box dumped on the doorstep of a pet place (who doesn't sell kittens, I was given her). The last of my three the pet shop I got him from said they have kittens left there all the time. He was one of a box where the owners did actually hand then over, but they said lots don't.

Personally I think they should offer cheaper desexing. I'm sure there would be lots who would still not bother, but it might help a few more future litters.

I do agree with the cheaper desexing, in fact we use to do a trap/speuter and release on stray cats a few of us volunteered our time FOC.

It is hard from a shelters point of view as people complain about the adoption prices but by law (may vary in certain states) all animals from a shelter have to be desexed, vaccinated and microchipped before they leave the premises. Shelters work in different ways some do this as soon as the animal is brought in others wait until they have a potential home before they desex etc. The problem you had is if you have an animal who was stuck there longer than 28 days (rules no changed I think) they have to leave the shelter ie we have to put them to sleep. Now personally rather than them being PTS'd I would prefer the adoption fee to be reduced.

Our group has Adoption days at the P &k pet shop on Magill rd Stepney, yes they only have the rescue aminals!!!

I have Jack the Jack Russell at the moment he is one cool dude and just needs someone to give him a chance. :-)

It's so sad for our family saying goodbye but on the other hand we are so happy that we are able to be part of saving these animals!!!

We don't allow FB links but if you have any photos please post them of Jack. I do know what you mean about becoming too attached, you just have to think you are making room for another one in desperate need

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6646[/ATTACH]This is Jack he is six and looking for his furever home, he doesn't like staying outside by himself when your out or he will escape apart from that he is a very loving boy that just needs a chance!!

He is gorgeous. Terriers are a very active breed and don't like being alone. We find a lot of old age pensioners love these little dogs they are very loyal and faithful.