Just told the Parents

Guest Beth&Martin

Guest Beth&Martin

We started our journey towards our life in Oz back in July of last year and applied for our visa in November 07. Until then we had told nobody of what we were doing and felt quite happy with that decision, until just recently when it started to feel a bit like " a dirty secret" (that was my description) and it started to weigh heavy on my shoulders. So I bit the bullet and took the bull by the horns (all of those sayings) and decided to go out for lunch with my parents today and tell them.

I woke up this morning and felt ok, I was going to be positive and "just tell them" and make no apologies for what we had decided to do; then 15 minutes before they were due to arrive I panicked and to put it bluntly spent my time in the bathroom (won't go into details, but you get the picture).

Half way through the meal mum asked if we were booking a holiday this year and I just had to tell her (get it over and done with). Of course they both sat there with their mouths open catching flies and then dad was the first to recover. He said he wasn't happy that we were going but could understand why we had decided to go and backed us in our decision. This was the reaction I expected from him. Mum just burst into tears and said "Why?". Probably in the middle of a restaurant was not the best way to tell them and was probably the chickens way out but it felt like the best way to tell them at the time.

After much discussion, they seemed ok and started to ask questions and said they wanted to come and visit which pleased me no end. They are both nearly 70 and mum said they are too old to travel but my nan visited my uncle in Brisbane up until she was 93 with no problem. We brought them back to our house and showed them pictures of Adelaide etc and it seemed more real to them and they even seemed excited.

What a relief it is to know they have been told and we can finally share what we are doing.

Good luck to all those who still have to tell their loved ones; if you are scared I know how you are feeling.

Guest Django

You're gonna regret telling them.;) Every time you speak it'll be "have you heard anything yet??" :biglaugh:

Seriously though well done. Don't worry about the resturant thing. No time or place is the best one. Give them a while to get used to the idea and they will be more enthusiastic than you. To the point when it will seem they are trying to get rid of you. :unsure:

Pete

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Hi,

Reminds me of a mate of mine, who decided to tell his wife that he wanted a divorce while they were attending her fathers funeral, I pointed out that that was a bit harsh,

to which he replied..................................

she was crying anyway:biglaugh:,

Guzzler

Guest salisbury massive

My mum and dad are both 70 and have just flown back to the Uk after thier 5th visit to us.

They break the journey up by having a 3 or 4 day stop over in Singapore or somewhere like that. Often they go to Sydney or somewhere in Oz for a few days.

They are definately not to old and of course being retired they can come for 3 months at a time - if you can stand it :jiggy:

Jo

Guest Beth&Martin

They are definately not to old and of course being retired they can come for 3 months at a time - if you can stand it :jiggy:

Jo

Oh my god, :wideeyed:I hadn't thought of that - I couldn't stand 3 months, however much I love them. Perhaps a week