interesting experiences when changing driver licence

Guest wijaya

Guest wijaya

As I got my PR last December, I wanted to change my UK driving licence into SA one. But I stumbled into a big problem, as my name in the passport was "different" from my licence. Well it is not really different. In the passport, my is A B Something, and in licence is B Something. I was known from birth as B, and I got my A when was baptised as a Catholic.. It was my mistake when I registered for the driver licence I only use the second name (B). So I was refused the change, because in South Australia, both document must show exactly the same name even though, other information were the same like the photo, the signature, the place and date of birth.

They suggested me to get a letter from DVLA or UK embassy that the passport holder and the licence holder is the same person.. I contacted DVLA, by paying £ 5, and they sent me all the information about my licence to my address with my full name.. But when again I went to a SA service center but again they refused to accept my application saying that the letter from DVLA did not say anything new to tell them that the licence holder was the same person as in the passport. They suggested me again to contact the embassy.

But I got "lucky" when i went to another service center, where the staff was more symphatetic, saying that "I can't see you were not the same person" as in the passport and the licence... and horeee.. finally I got my Australian licence..

In the UK, I did not have problem, even though I have documents using different first name.

Moral of the story: Be careful with your names..

When my son was applying for the Australian Defence Force his surname was different on his birth certificate to that in his Australian passport, they made me go to the local court for a stat dec and even then they weren't sure if he would have to go and change his name legally, it was ridiculous he was already called Joe Bloggs (name changed to protect the innocent) so how the hell were we suppose to go and change it from Joe Bloggs to Joe Bloggs. Thankfully common sense eventually prevailed.

Guest Cadas

It's a lot easier here than NSW. Took me three visits to the RTA to get a licence.

My wife and I went in to change our licenses to SA, having only just moved (and most stuff being in my name) the only ID my wife had was addressed to Mrs xxxxx. After a few seconds of thought the helpful person behind the counter decided she must be my wife so hey ho....

On a different Subject,but in the same vein,here's an example of ridiculous nonsense i came across today!Myself,Husband and two of our sons are going for the Citizenship test next month.3 of us on the same day, at same time;my Husband four days later. I Phoned today(waited for half a lifetime to get through)and simply asked if we could all go on the same day!"That won't be of any benefit to you all because there is no conferring during the test"she said??? :unsure::confused: This was after i had explained the obvious to her!This is not the first time i have come across these strange communication breakdowns for no reason!It got more banal when she said i'll see what i can do!After a moment she said,'Yes,i can fit your Husband in 2 weeks after yourselves????:swoon:

They put all these so called security and personal info protection criterea into things but it still comes down to the discretion of the person on the other side of the counter/telephone. On quite a few occasions on contacting my bank in England I cannot remember my telephone banking password, though I never, never, never do telephone banking, I give the person all the correct info except one piece and they ask me to guess! if I guess and get it wrong then what? I ask to speak to a supervisor, they then as default, back-up the 1st person:arghh:, so I put the phone down dial again get a different person and voila! all is OK no problems:swoon:.

Same applies when face to face, wait for lunch break staff change or a different day or let your other half do it next, amazing how often it works.

So if at 1st you don't succeed--------------------------- it's usually because of the jobsworth dingbat your dealing with:smile: