Been here 5 days.

Guest sithewindows

Guest sithewindows

Arrived in Adelaide Wed evening and stayed up North for a few days, now in Port Noarlunga.

Sorted a school today for the boys and bought a car.

Rental is great and right on the beach, bit windy last night! Charlie 9 went for a swim this morning in the sea (Mad POM).

All good so far.

Guest barry family

Hi sithewindows You all must be so excited good luck for the future . Cant wait for me and my family to make the move just need to sell or rent the house then we will be coming to port noarlunga area . I have 2 boys (11 , 12 ) how old are your boys ? do you know if the high school is a good one ? What made you pick port noarlunga ? Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated .

Guest Guest6899
Hi sithewindows You all must be so excited good luck for the future . Cant wait for me and my family to make the move just need to sell or rent the house then we will be coming to port noarlunga area . I have 2 boys (11 , 12 ) how old are your boys ? do you know if the high school is a good one ? What made you pick port noarlunga ? Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated .

The public high school for port noarlunga is christies beach high school and doesnt have a good rep.. having saying that my son has just completed year 12 there and done very well... he won a scholarship to the uni of Adelaide.The private school is cardijn college, my youngest goes there. Otherwise your driving to Seaford 6-12 (public) or other private schools, some public schools you need to live within the area to get a place.

Port noarlunga is a lovely area along with the majority of the southern suburbs.

Guest patsmb
Lisa, Lisa, Lisa (Baggienurse). Many a good result has been obtained at C.B. High. Please don't run it down. Lets face it, any school in Australia has to be better than the average school in the UK these days.

CB actually has a good exam pass rate ,or they did , because the pupils who are there want to get on and learn -the others wag school

Lisa, Lisa, Lisa (Baggienurse). Many a good result has been obtained at C.B. High. Please don't run it down. Lets face it, any school in Australia has to be better than the average school in the UK these days.

On our VERY limited experience of one state primary school in the UK (in a deprived area) compared to a state primary school in Australia (in a supposed to be good area) I would say, at least, at the state primary school level, that the UK has a better education system than Australia - it really is one of the few things that's been a genuine disappointment from our move here. Having said that, the kiddies we'll be moving school soon and I am keeping an open mind. It might just be a case of being very lucky in the UK with the quality of teaching, compared to just a school that doesn't fit our children well. Time will tell.

Guest Guest6899

I take offense to your quote! i did not run it down just merely mentioned it had a bad rep.. which even the school principle told us when we arrived 2 years ago. as also stated my son did very well there and i personally have no complaints about the school. my youngest didnt go there as he has special educational needs and they were fulfilled better at Cardjin College.

:smile:

Edited by Admin
edited by admin

On our VERY limited experience of one state primary school in the UK (in a deprived area) compared to a state primary school in Australia (in a supposed to be good area) I would say, at least, at the state primary school level, that the UK has a better education system than Australia - it really is one of the few things that's been a genuine disappointment from our move here. Having said that, the kiddies we'll be moving school soon and I am keeping an open mind. It might just be a case of being very lucky in the UK with the quality of teaching, compared to just a school that doesn't fit our children well. Time will tell.

Whilst I certrainly don't agree that "any school in Australia has to be better than one in the UK" - I do think also that the mst you can say from your experience is that the school you know here in Australia is not as good as the one you know in the UK! Certainly you can't judge the whole South Australian, let alone Australian, school system on this experience!

From speaking to lots of people, I think perhaps the focus in a rural school here in SA is a little different to that of the metropolitan schools: and let's face it, probably a lot more of their pupils are aiming for a very different future life and career than uni and business! McLaren Vale is quite a long way out, and quite a rural area so you may find that they didn't focus so much on academic skills, but more on practical skills.

In our experience, and that of the parents of friends in our area of suburban Adelaide, the SA system is as good as the UK system, if not better: it certainly breeds much more articulate teens than much of the UK system - it's one of the things we noticed most when we arrived and since! One of my daughter's friends went through the local state primary here and won the award for highest all round achiever when she completed Year 12 last year, and plenty who attend state primary here go on to become highly skilled and qualified lawyers, doctors etc.

Whilst I certrainly don't agree that "any school in Australia has to be better than one in the UK" - I do think also that the mst you can say from your experience is that the school you know here in Australia is not as good as the one you know in the UK! Certainly you can't judge the whole South Australian, let alone Australian, school system on this experience!

From speaking to lots of people, I think perhaps the focus in a rural school here in SA is a little different to that of the metropolitan schools: and let's face it, probably a lot more of their pupils are aiming for a very different future life and career than uni and business! McLaren Vale is quite a long way out, and quite a rural area so you may find that they didn't focus so much on academic skills, but more on practical skills.

In our experience, and that of the parents of friends in our area of suburban Adelaide, the SA system is as good as the UK system, if not better: it certainly breeds much more articulate teens than much of the UK system - it's one of the things we noticed most when we arrived and since! One of my daughter's friends went through the local state primary here and won the award for highest all round achiever when she completed Year 12 last year, and plenty who attend state primary here go on to become highly skilled and qualified lawyers, doctors etc.

To be fair, I was up front about how limited my experience was and you don't think that the public school system in the UK turns out lawyers, doctors, etc?! Like I said, I remain open minded and hopeful that our next experience is more positive.

Just to clarify, we are in the middle of moving from the city to McLaren Vale - the school that has disappointed us is a city based one. I am hoping that a more rural school has a tighter community feel - that was certainly more along the lines of our UK school experience (a rural one).

I take offense to your quote! i did not run it down just merely mentioned it had a bad rep.. which even the school principle told us when we arrived 2 years ago. as also stated my son did very well there and i personally have no complaints about the school. my youngest didnt go there as he has special educational needs and they were fulfilled better at Cardjin College.

:smile:

A bit lost here. I replied to something said by Baggienurse, now that post seems to be missing. Whatever, in my world, to say "doesn't have a good rep" is running it down. If you/Baggienurse meant to say that it was a good school but has some poor points, say it and then qualify those bad points. FWIW I know many young people who have made good coming out of that school.

I will vouch for Cardjin College as one of our foster children went there purely because we lived a few streets away at that time.

If I offended you or anyone else, tough. I say it as I see it.