The issues that matter (to ALL AUSTRALIANS)

Diane

Don't know if anyone's had a play on this site yet

http://www.abc.net.au/votecompass/

Was listening to some discussion about it on the radio this morning and apparently most people want..

- more restrictions on foreign ownership of agricultural land

- higher taxes for mining companies

- stricter controls on fracking

...so I wonder why the politicians think our greatest concerns are more maternity leave, less boat people, gay marriage, and only having to put in a BAS once a year!!

Guest Adelaide_bound

Although we're not allowed to vote yet we went on it to see where we lie with regards to politics here as we were just sooooo confused with who was whom and what they stood for etc....a very good tool for anyone new to Oz methinks in getting an idea of what the parties generally stand for and therefore who they might be drawn to :)

I think the Mat. leave policy is already massively generous so wonder if its actually going to be put in if they do get in, how is it possibly going to be paid for? :S

I think the Mat. leave policy is already massively generous so wonder if its actually going to be put in if they do get in, how is it possibly going to be paid for? :S

You'd better not ask Tony Abbott that - he'll tell you to shut up!

When I told my OH they're offering (threatening?) to pay up to $75,000 maternity pay he got a very suspicious twinkle in his eye!!! NO WAY...not even for that much! I wonder if that will be payable to same sex couples that have children too?

I also don't get too excited by politics.

Headlines like this are interesting though.... seriously?

Coalition to announce new planks of asylum policy, including scheme to buy unsafe asylum boats

AM

By political reporter Sabra Lane, staff

Updated Fri 23 Aug 2013, 2:47pm AEST

Video: Coalition's boat-buy scheme 'maritime version of cash for clunkers'(ABC News)

Photo: The Coalition says buying the boats reflects a single-minded focus on deterrents. (AAP: Department of Home Affairs, file photo)

Map: Australia

A Coalition government would buy unseaworthy vessels from owners who might be tempted to sell them to smugglers, as part of its efforts to deter asylum seekers from coming to Australia.

Opposition Leader Tony Abbott will announce the new plank of the Coalition policy in Darwin today, along with plans to deploy more Australian police officers and boost Indonesia's search and rescue funding.

Opposition immigration spokesman Scott Morrison has told AM the policy reflects a single-minded focus on deterrents.

"That will include everything from significantly upgrading our involvement in joint operations with Indonesian national police," he said.

Audio: Listen to the interview with Scott Morrison(AM)

"It also includes our community outreach program, which would involve bounties ... working through villages, buying boats back where you can.

Key points

• Coalition government announces scheme to buy unseaworthy vessels
  • Hopes scheme will deter asylum seekers
  • Policy cost will be announced today
  • PM Kevin Rudd slams plan as "irresponsible"
  • Significant component of scheme is increasing Indonesia's search and rescue capabilities
  • Policy will be done through co-operation with local officials

"But also just promoting the awareness, like we did after the Bali bombings with counterterrorism, to raise awareness that people smuggling is a criminal activity and its things that shouldn't be encouraged or supported."

Mr Morrison says the cost of the policy will be announced by Mr Abbott today.

Shorten, Rudd ridicule plan to buy 'clunkers'

Labor frontbencher Bill Shorten has ridiculed the scheme, describing it as "a maritime version of cash for clunkers".

"We're going to have a three-star military general writing cheques for every leaky boat in South-East Asia," he said.

"We all know that the regional settlement agreement is starting to have an impact on people smugglers. The Opposition are getting desperate.

"Wait till the news gets out through South-East Asia that if you've got a leaky unsafe boat that the Australian taxpayer is going to buy it off you.

"I don't know who dreamed it up but I'm sure the Liberal Party should be taking that person and putting them in witness protection."