New cafe opening

Diane

Guest Claire-n-tel

Wow you have to pay $5 per person to play with the games?! :elvis: .......there is a cafe here in glenelg that has board games you can borrow for nothing......it was fairly common in pubs in the uk too

the one I went to didn't require you to buy food or drinks so they have to cover their costs somehow... also the range of games they stock is very large, which is the main difference to a normal pub

I presume from their name that they will have 'normal' board games (Pictionary, Cluedo etc) - or do you think they will have more Role Playing type stuff? I only got to the A's on their list and saw they have "A Game of Thrones" which I assume is an RPG? Never got into that sort of thing myself, all that Dungeons and Dragons malarkey.... (although I do enjoy watching Game of Thrones I must admit!)

Guest Claire-n-tel
the one I went to didn't require you to buy food or drinks so they have to cover their costs somehow... also the range of games they stock is very large, which is the main difference to a normal pub

Nope sounds like you have to order.....the website says you tell them you want to play "when you place your food and drink order"

I presume from their name that they will have 'normal' board games (Pictionary, Cluedo etc) - or do you think they will have more Role Playing type stuff? I only got to the A's on their list and saw they have "A Game of Thrones" which I assume is an RPG? Never got into that sort of thing myself, all that Dungeons and Dragons malarkey.... (although I do enjoy watching Game of Thrones I must admit!)

Skimming their games list they do seem to have most of the commonly known games, from chess and backgammon to Monopoly, Risk & Cluedo, as well as some dice-based or card-based ones. In general their games seem to tend to be what is often referred to as 'Euro-style' or 'German-style' board games, maybe the most popular and well-known one of them is 'Settlers of Catan' . And their 'Game of Thrones' actually seems to be loosely based on 'Diplomacy' using the universe from the 'A Song of Fire and Ice' (so no RPG, more like a complicated Risk set in Westeros)

I can donate them Totopoly - sure I still have it around somewhere! Don't think we ever did manage to work out how to play it, and as it was an inherited game, it didn't have instructions! Mind you, the internet has come on a lot since I last thought about it, could probably find them online somewhere now!

Guest Claire-n-tel
I can donate them Totopoly - sure I still have it around somewhere! Don't think we ever did manage to work out how to play it, and as it was an inherited game, it didn't have instructions! Mind you, the internet has come on a lot since I last thought about it, could probably find them online somewhere now!

Here you go!

http://www.gamingcorner.nl/rules/boardgames/totopoly_uk.pdf

Kerplunk?

I hate Kerplunk - spend 10 minutes pushing the blimmin straws through and about 3 minutes till all of the marbles have crashed down.

I had a look at their website though and it says no time limits but to be considerate of others who may be waiting - now if you've paid $5 to play plus an order to eat you're obviously in for a while, I can see that they'd quite quickly have to introduce a booking system based on the games people might choose to play. Also it says it's nomadic - does this mean they move venue frequently or that you move around while you're there?

I think it's nomadic because they are currently using space that is used by another cafe during the day (Soul Food cafe I think). There was an article in our local Messenger about it, and it sounds like they are seeing how they get on, then will perhaps think of taking on their own premises if things work out. The guy who is starting the games cafe has been learning the "cafe ropes" by volunteering at the Soul Food Cafe. It will be interesting to see how it goes. If I manage to go there sometime (or send my teenage daughter and her friends) I'll write a review!