So how many of us are voting this weekend then?

Diane

Will you be voting in this Australian election  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be voting in this Australian election

• Yes - voting for the first time in Australia
    • Yes - have voted before
    • No - not entitled to vote this time

Just interested how many people are actually voting in the Aussie elections this weekend? And how many for the first time? This is a useful - if confusing - guide to voting "below the line" http://www.aec.gov.au/election/sa/gvt.htm#ab

I am still totally undecided as to who to vote for - Tony Abbott, as the Greens advert says, 'scares me', Kevin Rudd lost all credibility wtih his behaviour while Julia Gillard was PM, and the minority parties have all made under the table deals aas far as I can see to distribute any votes they get as they see fit, rather than as we want (hence why I'm considering the below the line option...)

Not that i want to use it before anyone faints in horror but there is no option for "not voting because i don't want to":biggrin:

If you're an Australian citizen, then you have to actually turn up to the voting station - it's the loooaw! And imho if you are turning up anyway, it's spitting in the face of all those that have fought in the past for democracy and the right to have your say not to at least put some thought into your vote and use it. I'm not saying I'm not tempted to scrawl across my paper "you're all a bunch of useless morons".... but I'm not a big enough rebel to do that!

I wish I could vote. They did send me forms saying that I would be fined if I didn't. I was tempted to phone up and act all excited for them to tell me I can't. Lol.

I really dislike tony Abbott. He is smarmy, childish (don't you ever shut up? To krud), and I actually would be horrified if he won. I would be surprised if he did win though as most people I speak to are anti-tony.

They take my taxes but don't allow me to vote (PR only).

My understanding was that you are required to have your name ticked off the polling register and its that tick rather than your mark on a ballot paper that fullfills the legal part. I don't think you legally have to be on the voting register but once you are, you're then required to turn up. As for the whole argument about voting as people historically battled for the right to vote surely its a circular argument. They battled for democracy which includes to right to do and not to do something - its the choice. Despite being male, I'm an ardent feminist and simply can't comprehend why women demean themselves and become possessions of their husbands by dumping their own name and taking a man's name upon marriage but I do understand that the feminist battle was for a choice - good or bad.

So next time will I vote as I should be a citizen by then? Certainly if the Sex Party bring out another brilliant advert like the "Too much f**king" one currently released!

They take my taxes but don't allow me to vote (PR only).

My understanding was that you are required to have your name ticked off the polling register and its that tick rather than your mark on a ballot paper that fullfills the legal part. I don't think you legally have to be on the voting register but once you are, you're then required to turn up. As for the whole argument about voting as people historically battled for the right to vote surely its a circular argument. They battled for democracy which includes to right to do and not to do something - its the choice. Despite being male, I'm an ardent feminist and simply can't comprehend why women demean themselves and become possessions of their husbands by dumping their own name and taking a man's name upon marriage but I do understand that the feminist battle was for a choice - good or bad.

So next time will I vote as I should be a citizen by then? Certainly if the Sex Party bring out another brilliant advert like the "Too much f**king" one currently released!

I haven't seen that add. There is a GREAT one about not voting for tony Abbott on the radio, you will know which one I mean if you've heard it lol.

According to the leaflets they were sending me it is compulsory to be registered to vote (but then, they are also sending it to someone who can't vote).

Two months until I can apply for citizenship. Yay.

....I would be surprised if he did win though as most people I speak to are anti-tony....

That's what really gets me about this election though - I agree with you about most people I speak to or have heard speaking in public being anti-Tony, and yet if you listen to the commercial media in any way, or read any Murdoch papers (and let's face it we don't have much choice in the latter here in Adelaide) then Tony already has it - in both houses - in the bag!

I'm also in the not entitled to vote category as not yet a citizen. I should have got citizenship when I lived here before and it was only a 2 year qualifying period.

I must admit I find a lot of the reporting on the media very biased. In the UK it seemed that you had to have both or all sides of the argument represented, but here that obviously isn't the case (especially watching Ch9 or Ch7). You would think from the TV that it is a foregone conclusion that Tony Abbot is going to win.

Also I don't think it very democratic that the Election debates between the 2 leaders were only shown on Sky News - what percentage of the population have Foxtel?

Tony Abbot is an interesting (and Diane I agree somewhat scary) character. His father was British, mother Australian and he was born in London. Although he comes across (to me) as quite slow-witted and not having a great intellect, he was actually a Rhodes scholar at Oxford (so too was Bill Clinton, Malcolm Turnbill, Kim Beazley, Howard Florey - the famous Adelaidian co-discoverer of penicillin, Kris Kristofferson!). So he can't be as thick as he seems. He then started training to join the priesthood. When he was 19 his girlfriend fell pregnant (not very priestlike behaviour) and the child was put up for adoption. In 2004 the child later sought his mother, had dna testing and Tony was found not to be the father!

One politician that impresses me is the independant Nick Zenophon - he seems to work tirelessly and seems to be one of the good guys. I would definately be voting for him in the Senate. As for the rest of them, well it's a relief that I don't have to decide.

With reference to Murdoch - this advert was made but the networks refused to show it.

Can't vote this time. Not sure whether to be glad I don't have to make a choice or disappointed I can't put in a protest vote. I would definitely be voting below the line for the senate, although it would be a tough choice about which of the two main parties to leave until the very last.

That'a a classic - sums up Australia very well. However the map isn't totally accurate - there's a sausage sizzle at Grange Primary tomorrow but it's not on the map!!!!

Now we know Tony Abbott did it, though all told us before that the verdict would be clear which made the election very boring (completely different from European polls).

Hopefully the new Prime Minister is not going to destroy South Australian's economy with his 'Holden won't get money from us!' attitude.

Now we know Tony Abbott did it, though all told us before that the verdict would be clear which made the election very boring (completely different from European polls).

Hopefully the new Prime Minister is not going to destroy South Australian's economy with his 'Holden won't get money from us!' attitude.

Not good news for Holdens or the State.

I really dislike tony Abbott. He is smarmy, childish (don't you ever shut up? To krud), and I actually would be horrified if he won. I would be surprised if he did win though as most people I speak to are anti-tony.

Surprised if Abbott won? Is this serious? Like him or loath him, surely nobody could be surprised at an Abbott win ... that's been obvious for about the last year!

Surprised if Abbott won? Is this serious? Like him or loath him, surely nobody could be surprised at an Abbott win ... that's been obvious for about the last year!

I have only spoken to ONE person who said they would vote for him. I can count about 10 who said they would NEVER vote for him. At that ratio yes, I'm surprised.

I have only spoken to ONE person who said they would vote for him. I can count about 10 who said they would NEVER vote for him. At that ratio yes, I'm surprised.

Thing is though the people you speak to aren't a representative sample of the country. There are many parts of SA that are quite left wing, although there are some parts that are very much Liberal territory - we live in one. Being surprised at an overall Liberal win because the people you talk to wouldn't vote for him is showing a lack of appreciation for what is going on around the rest of the state and the country. Given the views of people around you if would be reasonable to say you would be surprised if Liberals won your local seat though.

Thing is though the people you speak to aren't a representative sample of the country. There are many parts of SA that are quite left wing, although there are some parts that are very much Liberal territory - we live in one. Being surprised at an overall Liberal win because the people you talk to wouldn't vote for him is showing a lack of appreciation for what is going on around the rest of the state and the country. Given the views of people around you if would be reasonable to say you would be surprised if Liberals won your local seat though.

The polls however ARE supposed to be representative of the country, and Abbott was loosing in the polls for a long time. As the polls only switched a couple of weeks ago, I believe I certainly did have an appreciation of what was going on.

I worked at a polling station yesterday (alllllll day! ) and nobody seemed to be particularly eager for either to win.

There wasn't any excitement and from the comments made I got the impression that cynicism was the over-riding emotion.

I think it was also pretty telling that, once our count was done, everybody was more interested in whether Port had beaten Collingwood than who'd won our part of the election!

:biggrin: LC