My honest opinions!

srg73

Ok we have been here nearly a week and here is my bullet point feedback although few days to go. This is our 2nd visit and yes a much less emotional and more practical visit.

1, weather has been cold, you don't normally think of Australia being cold but it is!!

2, Adelaide is big, much bigger and busier than I remember

3, Most Australians are friendly, we have had a couple of cold shoulders

4, Evenings are quiet with most things closed by 9.30pm

5, There is building work everywhere, great for me and hopefully will help in securing work

6, Aus TV is extremely poor

7, Houses seem expensive and credit is everywhere including high level mortgages, bubble?

8, Estate agents are generally useless as are employment agencies

9, Shopping is not that much more expensive than SE UK especially if you look out the offers

10, Nearly all Ausi sport is alien to me?

Have we enjoyed our visit? Yes

Can we see ourselves living here? Yes

In regards to areas, feedback please?

Brighton and surrounding burbs, likely city side of A15 as coastal side too expensive

Norwood and surrounding, loving the feel but small houses unless $mill+

Hallet Cove, near the front or around conservation park, seems very quiet?

Any other areas? From our looking around, we think we maybe South Adelaide people with the Northern burbs seeming nice but a little more industrial especially some of the traffic.

Thanks Simon & Claire

Edited by srg73

How about Eastern and North Eastern suburbs? Directly North does tend to be industrial, but so does directly south (Lonsdale etc) - have a drive around Athelstone and up to Golden Grove if you have the time. And Belair/Hawthorndene is nice too. I prefer things a little more scenic which is why I like the more tree-y and hill-y places. Beachwise, have you looked around Henley and the suburbs just slightly in from there? Those are lovely, especially any that are near to the River. Norwood is lovely and great for work, social life, access to anywhere (and you won't end up underwater when the sea level rises like they're telling us is going to happen with climate change!). I also like Goodwood and around there - some lovely older style houses on big plots, oh and a couple of reaally nice pubs. Brighton is nice but I find the suburbs around there a bit built up and flat and seventies (also NO-ONE here refers to roads by their numbers! Where is the A15??!)

Sports - don't worry, after this weekend AFL is all finished and we'll be into cricket season - much more comprehensible!

I like your summary - very good! It's worthwhile to see things as they are (yes it does get cold!).

As for sport I actually enjoy watching Aussie Rules but it's an acquired taste, took me ages to figure out what was going on.

The A15 is Brighton Road, turns into Tapleys Hill Road north of Glenelg, further south as it goes up the hill it becomes Ocean Boulevard (my husband has always called that Cement Hill). Then Lonsdale Rd and so on. Roads never used to have numbers here, then on a visit back once from England we noticed some roads had been numbered, but nobody calls them by the numbers, you need to remember road names in Adelaide.

Brighton Road yes!! Got a lot of learning yet!

We have discounted Belair already but will look at the other burbs you mention.

If you like Norwood I'd also have a look at Magill and some of the suburbs either side of Magill Road on the way in to the city (Maylands, Toorak Gardens, Stepney, St Morris). Most of them also aren't cheap but not quite on a par with a Norwood prices and all not that far from Norwood either. Burnside is also really nice, but again a bit pricey. All the eastern suburbs are pricey but it tends to get more affordable the further north you go (you can't go that far East without going in to the hills). If you stay east as you go north the areas are very residential and really nice with lots of trees, large blocks and (relatively) decent house prices.

1, weather has been cold, you don't normally think of Australia being cold but it is!!

The last couple of weeks have been a damn sight warmer than the previous four or five months! When planning to move here years ago I never thought that the weather would be one of the things that would eventually get me down but it does. It's not warm for enough of the year here (for me - plenty of others see things differently) and I can see us wanting to be further north at some point.

Great summary, glad you like it!

Eden hills and Bellevue heights? Seem to be larger plots and nice once off the main highway?

Thanks. S

I don't know either area that well but my Australian OH is slightly snobby about areas around Adelaide and he suggested Eden Hills as an area to live in. I ruled it out because it's a bit on the hilly side for me. My Brother in Law is also a bit snobby about areas and he used to live in Bellevue Heights. My OH reckons they are both nice areas and handy for lots of places.