One Month in.......

Hughes'Roberts

& We love it!!!!:jiggy:

So we left the UK on the 28th August which seems so long ago! Flights were fab with Singapore Airlines! Quickest journey ever, we flew from Heathrow on the Airbus A380 to Singapore, we then literally boarded onto our connecting flight to Adelaide straight away, it took 18 Hours in total which is great for a trip to OZ.

We stayed at the Rendezvous in the CBD for 3 nights, lovely hotel! and moved into our Short Term Let. The next 3 weeks consisted of picking our bank cards up which weren't ready however we could still draw our money out with our passport so no problems and we received them a few days later (NAB have been good so far, Also used MoneyCorp for the International Transfers they too are good), sorted tax files numbers and ABN out as Husbands subbing, hired a car then brought one from a dealer in Somerton Park (we got a good deal), Transferred our UK Licences to SA Drivers licence, Husband found work within a week (He's a Painter and he has not stopped, there seems to be a fair amount of work about at the moment), we had a good drive around the suburbs, we've visited loads of beaches, used the public transport, registered our arrival with the SA website. I applied for a few jobs, the first interview I had I got the job so I have only been working a week!!! So yes we are feeling quite settled already and just today we sorted out our long term rental.

So as you can see it has been a very busy month and we can honestly say it has not been as stressful as we imagined!

We are off out tonight to celebrate! It is our 1st Wedding Anniversary too today so lets just say the drinks will be flowing nicely!! :jiggy:

Have a great weekend everybody.

Nat & Gaz

Thanks Blossom and Thanks Jim and Adel, Yes securing employment has certainly helped, our new employers have made us both feel very welcomed, my work even gave me 'Welcome Donuts' on my first day!

Garry will be starting Cricket soon so although we have a few good friends in Adelaide already, it always great to meet some new faces. So we are very much looking forward to that!

Congrats for your 1st Wedding Anniversary for the 26th Oct TonyD!! We had a great evening celebrating but feeling a little tender today! Have you got your visa or are you still in the process? I think organisation, research and positivity has helped us massively with the transition so keep that in mind and it will be a smooth ride for you too.

Nat & Gaz

Hi Nat & Gaz, 457 visa application was only submitted 2 weeks ago but the company I have a job with say it only takes 4-6 weeks to come through so we're expecting to be there early December - I hope it doesn't take longer as I resigned on Friday and am now working my 2 month notice period!

You are spot on about organisation, I've started to put a list together and the amount Ive got to do is staggering just in terms of getting our home ready to rent out! It took a whole sunny saturday (we do have them occasionally in Oldham!) to sort my shed out, now I've got the dreaded task of taking all the cr*p I've hoarded over the years to the car boot where they seem to like a 10 minute haggle over 10p before they decide thy don't want it!...........On reflection I may just take it all to the tip!!

Thinking about it, I have a list for all the things I know about but there are bound to be other things I don't know - Does anyone know if there are any previous threads that share a tick list of things you need in place?

Tony

Guest MandiMR2

Hi everyone, thanks to Nat & Gaz for starting the thread, it's very reassuring to hear your move has been successful & things are going well & more importantly that you are enjoying it, despite being so busy lol I'm here at the minute on my validation & research trip & I'm lovin it, will be returning with hubby to live in Jan & we cannot wait!!!! Good luck to fellow movers on your journey x

Hi Nat & Gaz, 457 visa application was only submitted 2 weeks ago but the company I have a job with say it only takes 4-6 weeks to come through so we're expecting to be there early December - I hope it doesn't take longer as I resigned on Friday and am now working my 2 month notice period!

You are spot on about organisation, I've started to put a list together and the amount Ive got to do is staggering just in terms of getting our home ready to rent out! It took a whole sunny saturday (we do have them occasionally in Oldham!) to sort my shed out, now I've got the dreaded task of taking all the cr*p I've hoarded over the years to the car boot where they seem to like a 10 minute haggle over 10p before they decide thy don't want it!...........On reflection I may just take it all to the tip!!

Thinking about it, I have a list for all the things I know about but there are bound to be other things I don't know - Does anyone know if there are any previous threads that share a tick list of things you need in place?

Tony

Hi Tony,

Oh what a great feeling handing your notice in! I am sure your visa will come through within the time scales you have been advised!

We are list mad!! We moved out of our place a year or so before moving into the parents so we didn't have the work of sorting out house gear however we did have stuff to get rid of. Its shocking how much stuff you accumulate! We did go on the rampage of selling stuff on Ebay and we also did the car boots. Your quite right about the haggling!! We sold a little at the car boots but Ebay and Gumtree were the most successful.

We are from Wigan so yes we too were used to the not so many sunny days!

In respect of a check list, I am sure there's a few on this site, I would search it and see.

Good Luck with the organising!!

Nat & Gaz

Sounds great HR's!And happy anno to you both too!What line of work are you in Nat if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks Lily Rainbow! No I don't mind at all, my background is 9 years of Insurance Broking. I only completed part of the Australian tertiary requirements prior to my arrival however I have had so much interest based on my experience and UK qualifications. I managed to secure the same role as I did in the UK which I was really happy about.

Nat

Edited by Hughes'Roberts

Hi everyone, thanks to Nat & Gaz for starting the thread, it's very reassuring to hear your move has been successful & things are going well & more importantly that you are enjoying it, despite being so busy lol I'm here at the minute on my validation & research trip & I'm lovin it, will be returning with hubby to live in Jan & we cannot wait!!!! Good luck to fellow movers on your journey x

MandiMR2 - Thank you, Glad your enjoying your validation trip!! Good luck for the one way in January :jiggy:

jtct - Thank you! :smile:

Hey Nat & Gaz - great to hear your positive thread and your journey sounds very similar to ours albeit a month ahead. My wife and I plus two children arrived in Adelaide on 26th Sept having done the Singapore airlines flight from Heathrow and we then did 2 nights in the Adabco Hotel in CBD. We have just moved into our short term rental whilst we look for jobs and a longer term rental and here's hoping we are as successful as you have both been. Best of luck aand congrats !!!!

Tony

Tony our 457 was submitted on the 16th august & we got confirmation on the 9th September, we flew to adelaide on the 11th sept! Loving it here! My partners started work the week after we arrived & I got a job within the first week & start in oct!

Tony our 457 was submitted on the 16th august & we got confirmation on the 9th September, we flew to adelaide on the 11th sept! Loving it here! My partners started work the week after we arrived & I got a job within the first week & start in oct!

Hi Gumster - wow, thats extremely quick! congratulations on getting work so quickly too, sounds like it's all working out for you.

Tony

Hi justin I'm actually trained as a dental hygienist & therapist but cannot work in Australia until I've re-registered with the dental council here which is a slow process involving a written & a 5 day practical assessment so for the time being I'm going to be working as a dental nurse which doesn't require any registration here.

Guest Sharon & Paul

HI Nat and Gaz Glad to hear your news as we will be in the same boat come 28 november We are looking for short term rental if you could help that would be great we too have set up with ABN and money corp and are too flying with Singapore airlines. We have the shipping company on 18 october and move out on 3 november I have resigned from work and we cant wait to get over there. Any help would be appreciated. we have only just started using Poms in Adelaide so glad to see your post makes us feel a bit more cionfident. I am a Lecturer and my husband is a carpenter joiner. What does CBD stand for we have seen it a lot??? Happy hope to hear from you soon.

Sharon & Paul

What does CBD stand for we have seen it a lot??? Happy hope to hear from you soon.

Sharon & Paul

It stands for Central Business District :smile:

Basically the couple exact center of the city.

Hey Nat & Gaz - great to hear your positive thread and your journey sounds very similar to ours albeit a month ahead. My wife and I plus two children arrived in Adelaide on 26th Sept having done the Singapore airlines flight from Heathrow and we then did 2 nights in the Adabco Hotel in CBD. We have just moved into our short term rental whilst we look for jobs and a longer term rental and here's hoping we are as successful as you have both been. Best of luck aand congrats !!!!

Hi Smiffed! Wow our stories do sound the same. How are you settling in your short term let? Hope your job huntings going well too. Were currently enjoying the long weekend off :-)

Nat & Gaz

HI Nat and Gaz Glad to hear your news as we will be in the same boat come 28 november We are looking for short term rental if you could help that would be great we too have set up with ABN and money corp and are too flying with Singapore airlines. We have the shipping company on 18 october and move out on 3 november I have resigned from work and we cant wait to get over there. Any help would be appreciated. we have only just started using Poms in Adelaide so glad to see your post makes us feel a bit more cionfident. I am a Lecturer and my husband is a carpenter joiner. What does CBD stand for we have seen it a lot??? Happy hope to hear from you soon.

Sharon & Paul

Hi Sharon & Paul :-)

Oooo the 28th Nov will soon come around. Exciting times ahead. This forum is very good with any questions that you may have, its been a great help to us inthe past.

As Tyke mentioned CBD is basically the city centre. :-)

All the best with your move, i will PM you the details of short term rental we are using, we move into our long term rental on the 25th Oct.

Good luck with everything

Nat & Gaz

Guest louise78

Hi there

We fly on the 28th November too from Manchester staying in Singapore for 2 nights then on to Adelaide, Its been a rollercoster of a ride. We have already shipped our things over too its been so long since we have seen our belongings as we have been living with family since March.

Im a healthcare assistant, my husband a heating engineer and 7yr old boy Joe. We have had lots of emotion since receiving our visas, all we need to do now is sort out short term accommodation as were not sure in which area we want to be in yet until we arrive, we promised our son a house near the beach and a large back garden so he can play football, have you any children?

Maybe see you on the flight if its the same!

Louise, Simon & Joe:jiggy: