Take care when parking in Victor Harbour!!!!!

Guest sithewindows

Guest sithewindows

We had a nice walk over to Granite Island and when we got back to the car had a ticket for $114!! Be very careful if you park near the

tourist information as there are 4 spaces that are painted with white lines the size of standard car spaces. These are Bus Zones!!!

I was parked where the silver car is now, they pulled in as I pulled out.parking fine.jpg

Guest sithewindows

Yes they have put a sign up but left the spaces on the road, I have appealed online.

Were there any signs saying bus zone? If not, surely you can appeal?

Sorry to hear your bad news.That looks very suspect,i hope your appeal is successful.The 'Fine' culture here is amazing,with so much 'don't park here,dont park there'you really have to be aware.I saw a parked up Car last week,on the main road,with blacked out windows and a Camera set up on the front grill,hammering anyone who drove past it over the speed limit,so beware newbies,keep to the limits,or you'll face a hefty fine sooner or later!The fines are massive compared to the UK,and i've never heard of anyone just getting a ticking off.I got a fine once for placing my parking meter ticket in a window that was not Kerbside,even though i still had an hour to go!No messing about here.Also, the tailgating idiots are not going to pay your fine,so don't be intimidated is my advice.All is well as long as you learn and observe the rules here i have found,best of luck,Sue.

Hi we were parked just a little bit p from you we were parked facing the wrong way . We went in to info centre to ask if it was ok to park there by the time we had gone in and asked the gentlemen to him coming out to have a look we had a ticket $60 absolutely gutted. Didn't see the ticket officer must be hiding. We didn't appeal we were told no point we had broken the rules and that was it. We won't be doing that again. But $114 harsh x

Kathy x

If you want to appeal a parking fine you should take multiple photographs of the vehicle in situ and try to get some shots that include any parking restriction signs and try to show which way they were angled in relation to the road. Take photos of any road markings as well making sure to show any faded paint or ambiguous markings.

I this case as the parking bays were clearly marked it would be fair to have assumed they were for cars. Your appeal therefore lies in the placement of adequate signage showing any parking restrictions.

Watch out for all mum's who drop off or pick up kids at the school, wife got $85 ticket for just stopping on a yellow by an unmarked cop car. My wife pulled into the same spot as another car left and simply stopped let or child out then left didn't even stop the engine. The cop must have got quite a few mum's that morning just show how low the SA Gov has got in my opinion.

Guest sithewindows

I was in the space where the silver car is parked now, didn't have a tape measure with me. Are you saying that all 4 of the spaces look larger than normal? As you can see from the photo, it wasn't only me that was confused that day and I did start the thread to warn others not to get caught in same trap. I will be careful and look out for the "big clue" next time.

Were all the bays the size of the one the 4wd is in? If so, that should be a big clue its not for cars.

If there was a sign I can't see an appeal winning. No sign, the money is yours.

Were all the bays the size of the one the 4wd is in? If so, that should be a big clue its not for cars.

Australian regulations state parallel parking bays should be 5.5m in length with 1m at either end of the line of bays. Anyway given the bays shown in the photo what else would you expect to fit in there?

Edited by sidestep

Watch out for all mum's who drop off or pick up kids at the school, wife got $85 ticket for just stopping on a yellow by an unmarked cop car. My wife pulled into the same spot as another car left and simply stopped let or child out then left didn't even stop the engine. The cop must have got quite a few mum's that morning just show how low the SA Gov has got in my opinion.
Yes,the word Harassment springs to mind.One that amazed me this year was at the McDonalds drive through in Seaford!I was driving out having just got my Stodge from the window,when there they were!:policeman: Every car driving out of the drive through was checked ,and the Driver Breathalysed!Another was my work colleague was fined a large amount(hundreds) as she,and others that Day,were backing out of their parking place,and putting their seatbelt on whilst doing so.This was at Castle Plaza.

You'll probably find this was the local council, not the cops. Got done for something very similar a few years ago - wrote an incredibly snotty letter to the council about it: didn't do me any good, but made me feel a bit better! Your wife was probably in a no-stopping zone - so as soon as she let the kids out, she was deemed to have 'stopped'

Another thing to be aware of here is that if you see a STOP sign, you have to come to a complete stop. On my route home from work there is a STOP sign and a line, and I always make a point of stopping there, just in case there is a traffic cop lying in wait...even though the positioning of the line means I can't actually see out of the junction from there. So I stop. And then I go again, and then I stop again a few feet further on where I can see!!

Yes, I always make a point of completely stopping at stop signs here, just incase they are hiding.

Someone I work with also got a ticket for being in a car park without a seatbelt on, but the engine running. He swears the car didn't move an inch. I find that one quite shocking, as if it is hot, I wanna get the aircon on or windows open before anything else, but would never move away without being strapped in.

I also know a few people who have recieved points and fines after an accident! Both have been ones where they have gone into the back of someone else.

They seem to fine people for small things quite happily here, but let people off with things they should be strung up for. One woman I worked with had no licence, not even a learners and was driving around for ages. Eventually she got in an accident and the police just said 'you should really get your learners and go for your licence'. No punishment at all. This woman was 50 at the time and hasn't bothered with a licence for all that time. Not even a fine!

Another lad I work with was on p plates. At three in the morning he decided that there was no traffic about, so he would go straight through a red light. Police pulled him up. They gave him a fine for not displaying p plates, but nothing for the red light, which is FAR more dangerous. It totally baffles me.

Along East Street in Torrensville there are a couple of junctions which have a stop sign set back from the cross road but there is no line - would you stop at the sign and again (like Diane) at the actual junction so you can see or would just stopping at the junction be sufficient?

I would stop at the actual sign. I can't think of where you mean (as I'm terrible with places) to know if I would stop again at the road.

There are a fair few around in the hills where you have to stop at unused rail lines. It even says rail line not in use, but you still have to stop! Grrrr

• 3 weeks later...
Guest sithewindows

Good news today, the Victor Harbour Council have sent a letter today saying " Please be advised that the Council has reviewed your situation and has cancelled the expiation.

So they must have also thought I had a point that the spaces were of car size and not large enough for buses.

Any way my original point was to warn others on here not to get caught out like me.