Passport issue

thegreggs

Help please

we are going back to the uk for a holiday and our son's UK passport has expired . Dont want to have to fork out for a new passport as we are in the process of getting citizenship.

1. If i get a UK passport for him will i have to get a Resident return visa also as we are not citizens yet ?

2. My 1 yr old daughter does not have a passport yet as she was born here, will the be any issue at immigration if she has an Aus passport and my wife and i have UK ones

Help please

we are going back to the uk for a holiday and our son's UK passport has expired . Dont want to have to fork out for a new passport as we are in the process of getting citizenship.

1. If i get a UK passport for him will i have to get a Resident return visa also as we are not citizens yet ?

2. My 1 yr old daughter does not have a passport yet as she was born here, will the be any issue at immigration if she has an Aus passport and my wife and i have UK ones

Each person must have a current passport, and as you are not citizens you will also have to have a resident return visa (assuming that your current visa is not valid).

Your 1 year old will most likely have to get a UK passport, as neither of you are OZ citizens, being born here does not always, strange as it may seem, mean entitlement to citizenship, but you will have to check that one out. Entering UK on Aus passport is no problem. I would advise that as soon as you are able to do so then take out citizenship and get an AUS passport as well as UK, comes in real handy especially should an urgent need to return to UK arise .

Sorry but it is going to cost you money for passports.

Keith

I think Keith is right - a child born here to parents who are not citizens isn't automatically entitled to an Australian passport. Also, once you have citizenship, your visa is cancelled so you have to re-enter Australia with an Aussie passport - a friend's son found this out the hard way by going to England thinking he could come back in with his English passport and visa, and ended up having to get all his documents couriered to the UK so he could get an Aussie passport from the London Consulate office before he could come back!.

If a child is born here and you are on a PR visa then they are automatically entitled to an Australian passport and traveling with a child on a different passport to you doesn't make any difference ( or didn't 4 years ago when I returned to the UK with my daughter on an Aussie passport and the rest of us on English ones)

Hi Caz

its actually me thats from Leamington , shelly is from Birmingham. Have been in Adelaide for about 4 1/2 years now and definitely think it has been a good move for us. Not going to say that it was or is easy ( missing family is the biggest thing )but if you are prepared to give it a go and work hard then i think you can reap the rewards that are offered. This is our first trip back so we are looking forward to introducing our daughter to family members who haven't seen her !

If we can be any help to you in your process dont hesitate to contact us (will try our best to answer questions !!)

Matt

Also, I was under the impression that if you are a uk citizen you HAVE to enter the uk on a uk passport.

I don't think that's right, Blossom.

We went for a visit a few years ago, all using our Australian passports. We were asked about our UK passports but we told him that ours had expired and as we no longer considered ourselves UK citizens*, we had no intention of renewing them - or paying for two sets of passports lol!

I don't see why they'd care really as long as you enter and leave using the same passport.

:smile: LC

* not because we hate the lovely country we came from but because we no longer live there, pay taxes or contribute in any way towards the place :)