Christies Beach

Ian&Beth

Had a great afternoon down Christies Beach today, had my first swim of the summer......32 degree's and waves fantastic, sea was a bit cold though:eek:

Only disappointment for me was the amount of dog feces, quite a lot on the beach, but worse was the shocking amount on the grassed area between the surf club and the ripple & swirl café:sad:

Had to keep telling the kids to keep off the grass.....not 4m2 was free of ****e and people were sitting eating there too.....such a shame.

Personally i think it is disgusting when people leave their dogs poo on beaches,there is just no excuse for it.it also gives other responsible dog owners a bad name.

In hot weather it is particularly horrible, attracting flies and creating nasty smells.

Havent been on the beach at Christies for a while,but a few yrs ago when we went regularly i very rarely saw poo so that is not a good development.

Sue

So who are the poop police? Why do they not monitor it? It's a rancid habit. I'm always very careful to exaggerate my poop picking up making sure all and sundry sees me. It could be a comedy sketch. :biglaugh:

So who are the poop police? Why do they not monitor it? It's a rancid habit. I'm always very careful to exaggerate my poop picking up making sure all and sundry sees me. It could be a comedy sketch. :biglaugh:

Haha, I used to be the same when we had a dog - the exaggerated slapping of pockets to locate the bag, followed by the slow motion reach and scoop!

Haha, I used to be the same when we had a dog - the exaggerated slapping of pockets to locate the bag, followed by the slow motion reach and scoop!

Glad it's not just me. Yippppeeeeee.....I'm normal.ish. :wink:

I think its fair to say most dog owners clean up after them, but with over 40% of households owning a dog that's a lot of dogs and even if just 10% didn't clean up that would be a lot of mess.

By the way I've seen people exaggerating the pick up, some look like they almost want to shout out I'm picking it up you know :biglaugh:

Guest Claire-n-tel

We actually saw a 4x4 on glenelg beach the other day (?surf life savers i forgot to look) who stopped to tell someone to pick their dog's "stuff" up! Yippie!

Is it an offlead beach at this time of year? Those are the worse ones I think, where the owners seem to think if they are not attached to their dog by a lead, it's not their responsibility to clean up its mess!

On a side note, clearing up after your dog really comes into its own in the winter months when you can warm your cold fingers around a warm black plastic bag on your way to the poo-bin!

Guest Claire-n-tel

On Glenelg beach in daylight saving dogs have to be on a lead from, i think 8am......incidently the dog in question was on a extender type lead, i'm not sure if he told her to pull the lead in but she did pull him back to the short lead!

I think if someone who lives in the area tried reporting it to the Environmental Officers at the local council. If children especially are playing around the area then it would be a health hazard. Alternatively if the Council won't do anything then contact the Dept of Health (Public Health) to find out what the rules are around this.

Only slightly off topic,but i know you(Ian)and i both have issues with neighbours Dogs barking and howling at all hours.I wonder if any other people on here have this problem?There seems to be a great abundance of irresponsible dog owners in Adelaide i have found,from speaking to friends and people at work.One Family of neighbours next to us are rough as a bears asre,real scruffy Bogans,and leave their 2 Hyenas to roam around their cabbage patch in the back,incessantly barking in spells as long as an hour!:mad:I've rapped on their door at 3 am before now,but they won't answer.Tried the council dog warden route,but found this frustrating and laughable to say the least.Phone Council,they then send PDF forms for you to print out,with daft questions like 'how many barks in a particular barking session':shocked:Of course,if you are dealing with Bogans,then more than likely you may just wake one morning to find your Car scratched ,or such like,another problem!Now i've got a few neighbours on board we have decided to contact their Land lord in an attempt to resolve this issue.Why are some dog owners so disrespectful to their neighbours peace?Most dog owners i know are wonderful,it's just a shame one or two are like this.I tried the RSPCA too,as i suspect the dogs are left to go hungry,they passed the buck to the Council,who then passed it back to the RSPCA!!:goofy:Ahhh!Grouch over!That's better!:smile:

We live in Seaford Rise and have dogs all around us which bark incessantly,when one starts they all start it is a nightmare.I hate it when dogs are left out in thunder and torrential rain and they are obsviously distressed.I think there are a lot of irresponsible and quite selfish dog owners here in Adelaide and as you say the Council is a complete waste of time.Non stop barking is a complete nightmare and as my dog never upsets anyone it would be nice if other dog owners were more caring,especially leaving them out barking during the night.

Rant over.

Sue

When we first arrived and stayed in a short term rental there were dogs barking in neighbours' yards. When we moved into longer term rental, the neighbour to one side used to leave their dog out - often that thing would be yapping and howling all night. Now we've had our house built, the neighbours over the road have their two mutts out at night (sometimes it's quiet, other times not, but because our house is set back a fair bit we don't get the noise too much). Based on our experience I'd suggest it's a common nuisance (and although it could be excused as being part of the culture here, actually I reckon it says a lot about some people). :realmad:

I hate barking dogs! In our first rental, some new neighbours moved in, a nice young couple who decided to buy a puppy and leave it out at night. Needless to say it howled and yelped like a baby all through the night until they reluctantly decided to keep it indoors. In our next rental, we were surrounded by dogs, once one started barking it would set them all off. Even going out in the garden to hang out the washing they would start barking and jumping up at the metal fence - lovely! Often we would be woken up early on a Sunday morning by the neighbours dog yapping and howling as well. In our current rental there are no barking dogs nearby - absolute bliss! At least if you are renting you know it isn't forever. I have been house hunting recently for a place to buy and I always try and listen out for dogs. One house at the weekend had a very noisy big dog barking next door and another had 2 yappy ones over the road. It seems to be a common problem - maybe we will have to move out to the country and get a property with several acres, just to get away from the dogs!

Stop picking on the poor dogs, let the little things talk to each other will ya, also are you sure it's dog dirt at Christies Beach? the main sewerage treatment plant and discharge pipes are right there on the beach!!
Can you come on over and have a little chat with the two mangy mongrels next door to us then Keith,see if you can get them to shut their dogs up!!!!:wink:

Can you come on over and have a little chat with the two mangy mongrels next door to us then Keith,see if you can get them to shut their dogs up!!!!:wink:

the way you have wrote this seems like the dogs and the owners are one of the same! intentional I assume?

Try giving them something..............like a bullet! turn your tv/radio up or move!

No but really up here in Brisbane there are some set time limits both in time of the day and length to asses if there is a nuisance, so have a check up with your council, you can then be come a whinging pom! though I can say that in over 25yrs working in the UK I can count on one hand the number of complaints from council related to my construction works (not including the greenies) I achieved that in the 1st 6 months here, must still be a throw back from the penal days when we must have got rid of all the whingers along with the other so called undesirables.

Good luck sueoc.

Keith

Stop picking on the poor dogs, let the little things talk to each other will ya, also are you sure it's dog dirt at Christies Beach? the main sewerage treatment plant and discharge pipes are right there on the beach!![/QUOTE]

Well unless the treatment plant is now depositing neat little piles every couple of metres or so along the grassed area past the surf club, yes I'm fairly certain this was dog feces ......Also most of what I seen on the beach happened while we were there and I can assure you that the perpetrators had 4 legs :wink:

Having said that the real culprits of course were their owners (I use that word loosely) who did have 2 legs but unfortunately no brain :sad:

Stop picking on the poor dogs, let the little things talk to each other will ya, also are you sure it's dog dirt at Christies Beach? the main sewerage treatment plant and discharge pipes are right there on the beach!!

Well unless the treatment plant is now depositing neat little piles every couple of metres or so along the grassed area past the surf club, yes I'm fairly certain this was dog feces ......Also most of what I seen on the beach happened while we were there and I can assure you that the perpetrators had 4 legs :wink:

Having said that the real culprits of course were their owners (I use that word loosely) who did have 2 legs but unfortunately no brain :sad:

Well you have been getting some strong winds and maybe some tidal surges there lately:eek:. But really I was just sticking up for the dogs in a tongue in cheek way, and not the irrisponsible owners, I like dogs and have 2 of my own, but I do do the right thing!

Guest Guest75

Folk who don't pick up their "fur kids" poop really annoy me as well.

I always have poo bags (empty and ready to use) sticking out of my pocket - at least it goes towards saying "I am a resposible dog owner"

One "person" recently let their dog deposit on our frontage, she looked both ways and just walked off without picking up. I can raise her 2 as we have 3 dogs,it would be funny to see her face.:smile:

The sewage plant at Christies has had a few "leaks" in it's time. Thank goodness it has been upgraded now - as just north is the desalination plant!:shocked: