2weeks in and looking for good area ?

speedygixer

Hello can anyone recommend a good area we are from the uk been here 2 weeks are staying in woodcroft but hubby has job in wingfield we are a family of 4 want a newish house in good area willing to pay $450 near a few shops and good school but we also drive and don't mind commute of 30 mins would people say north is better then south ;-) don't really want to go near hills as more spiders

what about

oak lands park

woodville

Fulham gardens

marion

northfield

brighton ?

Any info will help

thanks Emma and tony x

If your OH is working at Wingfield, have a look at the North Eastern, or Eastern suburbs, or if you are set on beachside, have a look at Sempaphore, West Lakes, that sort of area. We're on the edge of the hills and there are definitely no more spiders here, or I wouldn't be here myself!

As an indication, I drive pretty much the length of Grand Junction Road (which passes through Wingfield about halfway along) from East to West most mornings and it takes anything from 30 -50 minutes, depending on roadworks and time of day. So 30 minutes from somewhere like Golden Grove to Wingfield is very feasible

Thanks Hun what would u say about Enfield or Seaton ? I've heard some bad things about Mawson lakes and north gate. We have under 6 weeks and finding this very hard we have drive up and down most days lol I've a list with as long as my arm with areas

where would u say there was more poms ?

And things to do for a mum at home aged 30 xxx

Guest Guest12727

It is probably best if you spend some time driving around and looking at the areas for yourself.

I second Diane on areas such as Semaphore, if you want to be near the beach, and the suburbs just North and South of there would all be OK for Wingfield. The suburbs along linear park are all pretty reliable and well established. You can also look at Oakden / Lightsview if you like new areas - which is what Mawson Lakes is - a new purpose built suburb with everything to hand. These would all be handy to Wingfield and there is a lot of good rentals in these areas.

From your list, Marion, Oaklands Park, Seaton and Brighton would all be much more than 30mins commute. I was brought up in Enfield but wouldn't live there now. However if you want closish to the City consider Prospect or Sefton Park.

A lot of the inner west areas are being redeveloped and there are some good pockets.

Edited by Guest12727

Guest Guest12727

I wouldn't live in Enfield as the style / era of the suburb are not what I like now. Having said that, there are a lot of the 50s houses being knocked down and replaced with new (3 on the old quarter acre block). The streets are nice and wide, it is pretty close to The City and has good transport links, shopping and schools - but not for me.

I haven't heard anything 'bad' about Mawson Lakes (not sure what you meant about that). It is the sort of place people love or loathe - so you do hear some negatives. I think it has a lot going for it and could be a great base to start. We often go there for a walk / coffee / look at the houses and like it. They have recently expanded the shops and there is a very large Woolworths there now. I like the foothills to live, so ML is a bit flat for me and the houses are close together (that is modern housing though). If I were younger without ties I would consider it, great transport links to City and good springboard to the North and Yorke Peninsula for short trips away.

Northgate is OK - I would say a slightly poorer cousin to ML, but again there are some nice spots within. Take a look at Lights View - it is the newest part. Oakden is also OK, stop off at the cafe overlooking the reed lakes - some great birdlife there.

Guest Guest12727

Lightsview is very new - next to Northgate

http://www.lightsview.com.au

I am not aware of ML having high crime rates, but I don't necessarily take a special interest. Not something you are hearing constantly on the news. In Adelaide, if the streets look well kept there isn't normally 'heaps of crime'. This isn't a term I associate with most of Adelaide.

Good luck

From your list, Marion, Oaklands Park, Seaton and Brighton would all be much more than 30mins commute.

I think you may be getting Seaton mixed up with Seaford. From Seaton to Wingfield doesn't take too long (15 mins guess), straight up Frederick Rd, then get on Grand junction Rd, or else skirt round Port Adelaide to get on the Port Expressway.

Seaton itself has good and bad areas (probably more bad than good). What about West Lakes / West Lakes Shore - both nice areas.

FWIW I lived in Lockleys (just below Fulham Gardens) and volunteered up in Pooraka and that nearly always took me between 40-50 minutes drive so I would suggest Fulham (although a smashing suburb) would be just too far for you.

If it's new build estates you're after Mawson Lakes looks lovely, I've only wandered around once but I liked the feel of it and as Diane (I think said) it is in a good location for heading north. I'm not sure of beaches close to but if Semaphore is the closest that's not a bad deal :smile:. I believe that they're hoping to develop the AAMI stadium into high density housing so if you went for the West Lakes area now there might be something for you in the future. Just had to look at where Northgate is - we went to an open air cinema screening up there last summer and there were lots of families sitting around enjoying the film, there were also a group of lads sat in the shelter enjoying a bong or two.... they were moved on by security.

I'm not sure that any area of Adelaide is high crime - I suppose some areas have more than others but I don't think you need to be overly concerned. And again as someone else said it's probably best if you get yourself to these areas, find out when there are opens on houses even if you're not really sure you want it and just get a feel the streets by walking around them.

Edited by flossybeth
Added info about Northgate

I have never lived in the southern suburbs so can't really comment. The houses seem nice and are cheaper but there doesn't seem as much variety/choice in terms of shops, cafes etc as closer to the city, but maybe I just don't know the area that well. Most of the houses in Seaton are 1960s/1970s, but there are a lot of knock-downs and then 2 new courtyards built on a block with no backyard. There are nice houses in a few areas but nothing fantastic, however Seaton is a cheaper area that is close to facilities and to more expensive areas like Grange, West Lakes and Henley Beach. West lakes is mainly 1980s type housing, there are some really nice houses and some are beginning to show their age, but the whole are is nicely landscaped. West Lakes Westfield shopping mall is getting a load of extra shops opeining in a couple of days as well, with a new Target, so it's pretty good for shopping/cinema etc. Fulham Gardens is a good area, there are lots of Italians and Greeks (in Seaton too). The whole western suburbs area here is well served by shops, takeaways,cafes etc, near the beach, close to the city and not too far to Port Adelaide/Wingfield. I used to drive to Mawson Lakes for work via the expressway in less than half an hour. I know Mawson Lakes used to be called mozzie lakes, not sure if they are still a problem. The whole area was built on wetlands.