Cat bitten by snake!

simon@sarah

Folks please be aware of your dogs and cats, my 11month cute cat Harley is at present at Adelaide animal hospital where he has been since last night after collapsing In front of us. He had, we found out once there been bitten by a snake and his deterioration was rapid. He is completely paralysed and has a catheter fitted, they had to give him two vials of anti venom as the amount of venom in his blood was off the scale. He is probably, we hope and pray going to make a full recovery. The vet said there has been a crazy amount of snake bite cases this year, and has advised us to keep Harley an indoor cat as he is obviously a hunter!

cant thank the staff at the hospital enough they have been lovely.

On another note please get pet insurance, we have for our dog but had never got around to adding Harley and so far have had to part with a shocking $3200, and yes I'm sure all those that don't have pets think we are crazy but he is a part of our family and we could not have walked away having done nothing to help him.

Sarah

Feel for you, our gorgeous Duke got bitten by a snake when he was less than a year old - luckily we managed to catch him really quickly (and the snake) and so he only had to have one night at the vets and they knew immediately what sort of anti-venon to give him. After that I got both our cats insured - didn't cost all that much and was definitely worth it. Hope yours makes a full recovery and has learnt his lesson

No you are not crazy..what you did was a wonderful thing. Total respect to you. Many would have just walked away without a second thought. Hoping he makes a full recovery. We use bowwow.com.au. It costs $118 a year for accident and $250 for accident and illness..thats for dogs though. A small price to pay to protect one of your family. Get well soon Harley x

We have a rather large blue tongue lizard in our home.....well outside really.....but I came across it a few weeks ago. We used to have a huge snail problem and now we have hardly any at all. Always wondered why we didn't have snails anymore but I think that might be the answer. I also heard that if you have a lizard then snakes usually are not around. Don't know if that is true or not. I am really surprised that there are snakes in the suburbs.....well was quite surprised about the lizard actually.:shocked:

Unfortunately the bigger problem here is the strong feelings that cats seem to arouse in many locals - just waiting for the vets to open this morning so I can take one of my cats down after I think he was hit by a car yesterday: we live on a really quiet, no-through-road, and starting to think that one of the neighbours actually aims for cats in his car :-( I still don't get his whole "cats kill native wildlife thing - I've certainly not noticed any shortage of local wildlife where we live, and despite that leaflet saying "all cats are hunters", in my experience that is far from the truth. I think one of the four cats I've had in the last ten years caught a bird once (oh and a baby snake once!) but that's about it! Far more harm is done to things like koalas by dogs, and yet nobody suggests they should be kept permanently locked up!

I must admit, I've heard for more people mentioning their dogs killing things here than cats.

My cats would all like to be hunters, they just don't get a chance. One did catch a butterfly the other week.(a cabbage white around me veggies, good cat).

Maybe that the dog owners are with their dogs and generally know where they are at all times, whereas a cat let out to roam wherever and whenever, then how does the owner know what the cat is doing. Cats prey will usually be the smaller critters somewhat down the food chain, whereas a dogs prey/victim will be larger therefore more noticeable therefore more reported.

My view is biased because I hate cats and love dogs, but it still comes down to the responsible owners of each.

I remember watching a tv program here in Australia many years ago when they attached cameras to the collars of some domestic cats and tramsmitters so they could monitor where they went at night. The cats went further and did more than their owners thought.

I also found this on the bbc website (Secret Life of the Cat) which shows what a sample of cats in Surrey did at night, and how far they went - very interesting!!! The cat cams are good too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22567526

Edited by Anne B

Maybe that the dog owners are with their dogs and generally know where they are at all times, whereas a cat let out to roam wherever and whenever, then how does the owner know what the cat is doing. Cats prey will usually be the smaller critters somewhat down the food chain, whereas a dogs prey/victim will be larger therefore more noticeable therefore more reported.

My view is biased because I hate cats and love dogs, but it still comes down to the responsible owners of each.

No, these are people talking about animals getting into their back yards and being ripped to bits by bored dogs they never take out. Why people have a dog and then just leave it in a yard all day I have no idea.

I agree that cats do indeed go hunting, even if owners don't think they do. My three are house cats with an outdoor run, so they just get tormented by seeing everything and not being able to catch them (except butterflies). My chickens on the other hand killed at least two birds in my yard.....

As I said.... responsible owners! Our next door neighbour like you has an outdoor run and we never see the cat, however the neighbour at the back has/had two cats which are left to roam, we have had to take defensive measures on our house to prevent the cat getting on our lower level roof as the damn thing was leaping up and banging against our bedroom window in the middle of the night chasing gecko's, sounded like someone trying to break-in. It/they leaps up and walk along the fence out of the reach of our two dogs but tormenting them to hell, we also see them hunting in the paddock next door and the trees out front, we have a variety of birds and lizards as well as squirrel gliders, all good easy prey for the cats, and I am sure that any critters that happen to go into their property will also suffer a similar fate as to what the bored dogs would dish out.

Thanks for the good wishes

well finally got Harley home yesterday, he is not the same cat at the moment, still cant walk properly and has spent the whole time hiding in the robe,hasnt eaten and is very timid. Hoping he recovers to being the same cheeky cat he was. I think there will always be the arguement between cat and dog owners, we have one of each and like some have said we keep the cat in from 6pm every night. I hope your cat is okay Dianne and i do hate the aussie feeling towards cats...my friends cat on the same day Harley got bitten got killed by their next door neighbours dog which roams the street during the day and got into their garden, it died an awful death and she is devestated but the owner of the dog werent bothered.

by the way we have renamed Harley to 4K!!!

Thanks for the good wishes

well finally got Harley home yesterday, he is not the same cat at the moment, still cant walk properly and has spent the whole time hiding in the robe,hasnt eaten and is very timid. Hoping he recovers to being the same cheeky cat he was. I think there will always be the arguement between cat and dog owners, we have one of each and like some have said we keep the cat in from 6pm every night. I hope your cat is okay Dianne and i do hate the aussie feeling towards cats...my friends cat on the same day Harley got bitten got killed by their next door neighbours dog which roams the street during the day and got into their garden, it died an awful death and she is devestated but the owner of the dog werent bothered.

by the way we have renamed Harley to 4K!!!

Thanks for the update, and am sure Harley will be back to his old self before long - we'll be thinking of him and keeping our fingers crossed for him. Harry (our baby) has so far baffled the vets - although reading up on his symptoms I'm becoming more convinced that he has been snake-bitten too, as there's no sign of an injury that he might have got through being hit by a car. We've had some blood tests done and will wait for results. In the meantime we're trying to get water into him with an eyedropper so he doesn't dehydrate.

I can't understand people that say they "hate cats" - that's like saying "I hate people" or "I hate babies" - cats are all different in character just like humans are! Blossom, what sort of cat enclosure do you have and where did you get it? I'm trying to work out if enclosing our back passageway (oo-er missus) with netting is feasible...