really upset - failed skills assessment!!!!!!

Guest RandC

Guest RandC

I am writing this crying. I can't believe it - have failed my skills assessment as a teacher! I am a secondary school teacher and did a school centred teacher training course post grad (still the QTS - qualified teacher status) I did this as it was 2 mins from where I was living at the time rather than an hours treck to the uni where I could also have gone. The letter says my training is not Aus equivalent! Although it says there is a right of appeal $450 - I think this is pointless and just feel really sad and upset. This is so unexpected. Finding it really hard to cope with and feel totally rejected. OH away and just keep crying. Good luck to everyone - there are so many lovely poeple on here, but don't think I can come on here anymore.

Bye

Cari :cry: x

Guest dglamoore

Hi Cari

Oh god - I really feel for you and just don't know what to say. To be on your own at a time like this must be so awful for you.

Have you ever talked to an agent for advice on your qualifications? I have read on forums people failing skills assessments before to then pass at the next attempt so this may be a test rather than the end.

My heart is really going out to you and I hope you can find a way to get your dream still and live in OZ

Lisa x

OMG Cari, I am so sorry. Dont know what I can say to make you feel better.

HAve you gone through an agent? Its just that, a friend on mine is a nurse and was told by 2 other agents that she wasnt the right 'type' of nurse to pass the skills assesment - and possibly not a visa, then she went to a different agent (ones we have used - ASA ) and they said that it would be no problem...they now have their visa and going in july.

Maybe getting a second opinion, it just seems bizarre that you a working as secondary teacher and you cant get through........there must be another way on getting in........dont give up hope just yet.

sarahx

Guest Jane.Mason

Hi Cari

OMG - Really feel for you, we've been there so don't panic.

Hey i agree with Lisa. It's not the end it's just a slight hurdle, there are plenty of people who fail skills and appeal to find it's been overturned.

Take Lisa's advice and speak with an agent if you haven't already done so. And please don't not come on PIA as we are all here to help you.

Jane

Guest RandC

Thanks everyone - I just feel I'm doing the job here and have never had a school tell me my qualifications aren't good enough :? !!! Can't stop crying - when I pull myself together a bit, I might try ringing an agent. My eldest son has now said he didn't want to go anyway!!!! Is it too early for wine? I don't think it will make a difference though (the wine or the ringing) sorry for sounding so miserable.

Cari x

Guest Django

It ain't over 'til its over. Where there is a will the is a way. Go find yourself an agent that can do the do.

As Bob Marley said "Get up stand up, don't give up the fight" Oh yeah and "No woman, no cry" :wink:

Hope your fortunes change soon for the better.

Guest happy-jools

Hi Cari

Sending you e- hugs.XXX

Hope you are feeling a little better when you a reading this. If not you are probably Pi****, from all that wine.

Our agents told us that they know of people who have failed skills assessment, only to go through an agent and pass with flying colours. I know an agent does cost money, but in my mind money well spent.

when you get yourself together - I would speak to an agent. There are many recommendation on this site.

We used Visa Bureau. They have been great so far.

xx

Guest RandC

Hi all, thanks for all your lovely supportive replies. Hubby home now :o so he has very wet shoulders from all that crying. I have rung a couple of agents who were really unhelpful. Not naming names, but was told well if you've been unsuccessful, there is no point in appealing! Another one just said couldn't help if I had failed my skills but to ring again if I was successful on appeal and they'd do the second stage (don't think so). Tried these cos couldn't get through to one's recommended. I have left my details with GoMatilda who were really sympathetic and now Hub's home will get him to do the online ASA one. I rechecked with the Teacher training agency here, and SCITT (school centred teacher training) is still offered - which makes me feel really confused. It's OK here but not Oz! I feel like I've been told I'm a sub-standard teacher.

Off to the gym now to swim off my upset, then have a bottle of red with 'Cari' written on it and a very large easter egg

Cari x

PS Django - love the name - We are big Django fans - even named our dog after him

Hi, I don't want to dishearten you any further, but I don't think you'll see any change to this result. We qualified in the same way as yourself, and from what I read on the TES website and elsewhere prior to sending off our forms, it appears Australia only recognises a full teaching degree.

We've applied for skills assesment in blind hope anyway(still awaiting reply), but I believe it's bad news for both of us.

Sorry.

Chris.

Guest Django
PS Django - love the name - We are big Django fans - even named our dog after him

Someone with your taste will certainly get to where you want to go. :wink::D:D

Guest muppetbro

randc please dont misinterpret my words but i feel the following reality check will maybe spell out the home truths re your teaching qualification.....

first up contact the dfes/union and explain to them.....however.........

research - i would be surprised if oz is the only country not to recognise the gttc school based teacher training route - this route was brought in against the wishes of teacher training agencies / unions - it was a govt initiative to fast track more teachers in subject shortage areas and pay them for their teacher training - even pgce get paid money w hilst training w hich kinda suks for the thousands who remain in debt - heaven forbid why anyone does a b.ed nowadays and these represent still the most committed teachers to entering the profession from my 17 years of teaching / mentoring students.........it is second rate teacher training and puts alot of workload on those schools that do the scheme professionally - too often gttc students are given a timetable and told to get on with it and represent a cheap teacher for a year.........

i have expereince of some good and some shocking students who w ere aloowed on the gttc - the principle is good but in reality it fails and is another govt quango to ease the true reasons as to why so few graduates choose teaching as their first choice career....i cud go o n.....

my only postive thought for you is to consider taking a post graduate certiciate in education at nightschool - part time course - im confident you would be able to m eet the evidence of meeting satisfying standards to fullfill a pgce whilst remaining in your current employment - consider it as continued professional development - that w ay you would still meet the 3/4 years post grad teaching experience if you provved your willingness to gain the neccessary teaching qualification

im sorry if this might not comfort you - please feel free to pm for further ideas but i think it is right and proper any govt considers only the reognised routes of qualification in any trade / profession but i would suggest the neccessity to allow for some dicretion and flexibility to this.........unfortunately it is the british govt that has caused such a mess in its policy of acceptable s tandards etc etc

wish you well but it mnay be doable if you a re prepared to undertake a 12 month pgce in lieu of your current teaching status

regards

martin

Guest Django

Martin,

Interesting post. How long would this 'CPD' take to complete? I see you mentioned 12 months is this a guide? We've had to put back our application a few months to meet criteria. 12 months is not a lot 'if' it gives the nod to Cari's skills assessment. Light at the end of the tunnel? Lets hope so.

Pete

Guest muppetbro

12 months is more closer to the usual september - july course academic year that a current pgce in education course would entail so theroetically 10 months covers the duration of the post grad course - however if a sandwhich type of course was possible given that when i undertook my pgcs at least of which 24 weeks was in school doing teaching practice

hope that helps - thats my slant as always realistic but at worse one academic year time out

if the govt approve teaching status for gttc schemes then maybe someone should be highlighting this to them and lobbying for equal rights

i for one would not doubt anyones teaching competency wotever route they took into the noble profession

keep the light shining - you never know you might just find a detour route

martin

Guest RandC

Martin, you obviously have very strong views on the GTTP training route and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I did not qualify by the GTTP route, but by the SCITT route which is school centred NOT school based and certainly not paid as on the GTTP. Personally I think the GTTP can work well, it depends on the quality of the school, the mentor and the student of course. I can't redo my qualifications - already have QTS and am 45 in October, so I haven't got time.

Lisa thanks for the suggestion to ring Go Matilda. They were extremely sympathetic and helpful. The guy there suggested an alternative route, which is by no means guaranteed and not as clear cut, but is our only last chance. We now need to sit down and consider carefully if we want to go down this route. More reflection over wine methinks. Sarah have also tried to contact ASA.

Thanks to everyone for their support and kind comments.

Cari x :? :?

Guest RandC

Thanks again everyone. Need to have a good chat with hubby. Feeling a lot better today am normally quite an optimistic person. Seems like a long shot and need to take ILETS test - should be OK have been practising this afternoon :lol: Big concern though cos need another different skills assessment and they could still say no. But I am not a quitter and really want this. I am determined to give it my best try and at least if we don't get there it won't be because we didn't try everything.

\Off to the gym and then to practise essay writing skills - any suggestions for topic titles???? :lol:

Cari x

Guest MummyJarvo

Hi

Really sorry to hear your news. I know exactly how you feel, I am a teacher (Primary School) and qualified with a BA in Primary Education Studies (Mathematics) with QTS. I thought I would have no problem passing the skills assessment only to be informed that I had failed because Australia only accepts 4 year degrees not 3 (which mine was).

I explained that 4 year degrees were no longer available as the Government was trying to get teachers out quicker and got the reply that until the Australian Government caught up with what was happening here and changed the rules it was tough.

Be careful before you try any other qualifications to get in and double check that they are actually recognised by T.R.A before going down that route.

Luckily for us my husband passed on his trade and we made up the extra points by getting regional sponsorship (although we probably wont be going now).

Good luck and I hope you find a way in.

Guest dglamoore
Off to the gym and then to practise essay writing skills - any suggestions for topic titles???? :lol:

Cari x

Trials & Tribulations of Migration? What we go through for a Better Life?

Good to see you have a fighting spirit and their is a glimmer of hope for you. Really keeping everything crossed that it comes your way :D Keep us updated!

Lisa

Guest Kath_and_Ian
Hi

Really sorry to hear your news. I know exactly how you feel, I am a teacher (Primary School) and qualified with a BA in Primary Education Studies (Mathematics) with QTS. I thought I would have no problem passing the skills assessment only to be informed that I had failed because Australia only accepts 4 year degrees not 3 (which mine was).

I explained that 4 year degrees were no longer available as the Government was trying to get teachers out quicker and got the reply that until the Australian Government caught up with what was happening here and changed the rules it was tough.

Be careful before you try any other qualifications to get in and double check that they are actually recognised by T.R.A before going down that route.

Luckily for us my husband passed on his trade and we made up the extra points by getting regional sponsorship (although we probably wont be going now).

Good luck and I hope you find a way in.

I know you say you probably aren't going now, but be aware that if you do get in through your husband's trade, you probably will not be able to register with the TRB (Teachers' Registration Board) unless you have done a 4 year course. Without this registration you cannot teach anywhere in South Australia. Have a look at the TRB website to check, but I think this is true.