For all those waiting to leave Blighty!

Guest The Pottertons

Guest The Pottertons

We have decided to start as we mean to go on and have developed sunday into family day. So every sunday we go out somewhere or do something all together. We've done a farm park, museums and today we took a trip out to cadburys world which was really good fun! We are trying to fit in all the places we've always wanted to go before we leave here for good. Some things are dearer than others and will have to wait such as taking my son to London to see Buckingham Palace and the london dungeons etc

Just wondered what would be on everyone elses lists and thought we might get a little inspiration. Afterall if we can enjoy the delights of the U.K with the pants weather we'll all love the days out in Adelaide.

Next on the list, but waiting for a lovely day is Warwick Castle. May be a long wait but hey we've got time!!!

And for those of you already over there, any advice on what we shouldnt miss out on before we leave?:cute: Yvonnexx

Guest Trakki

That is a great idea and something we are going to start doing when we have the money!! Pete is going to take Jack (7) to a football match and Sophie (5) wants to go ice skating so I will make it a girly day for her. We are also planning to do a overnight stay in LOndon, going to ask my mum to have the little ones and take the big 2 to things like the london eye, natural history museum, cutty sark (sp), science museum, hamleys etc and make it a really good weekend for them. Also want to go to the Thomas the Tamk engine place in York for Niamh who loves Thomas and generally pack in as much as possible.

HTH

Guest Lulujim

:) hi -

we have had the same idea - more panicked really about all the things we should have done here before we go. The main thing is we're trying to book a cheapy European break.

Lots of ex-pats in Australia (and friends in NZ) that we have spoken with say they miss the complete different culture and places you can visit in Europe for not much money and not too far away.

So we have been saving up Airmiles and have got enough for a cheap break to Venice, where I have always wanted to go, and may even have enough for another one before we go at the end of the year. Although it will eat in to our Aus savings a bit, I think it'll be worth it.

Another thing our ex-pat friends have said is to make use of child-care before we go, as we won't have any friends/family in SA. So these weekends away will be our last chance to be child-free for a few years!!

I will be keeping my eye on this though, as would really welcome some good suggestions for days out with young kids!

Guest Leanne & Mark

Just a little tip guys..If you heading for days out in London, Get there really early.

Popular places like the dungeons and tussauds often have queues in excess of 3 HOURS!!!!! We are fortunate to pop up to london fairly often Ethans favourite is the History museum,...nice n cheap!! LOL. Blake's is the dungeons, ...and its a no go zone in the summer because of the massive queues.

Make the most of visiting your family and best friends as often as you can before you go. You will certainly miss them all once you have left the UK. We did, and we are so glad we did . Grandparents are an important part of your childrens lives and I my so glad that my children spent as much time as possible with them during our last 3 months in the UK. This has helped us all ( here and in the UK) to settle.

Guest The Pottertons

I will really miss the closeness to europe, Hubby really wants to go to Rome and see the Coliseum, which is fantastic and ide love to go again. Ide like to see Austria and Prague. But if i think about it too much god- the list would be endless!!! So yes would love to fit in a cheapy europe break. Some great suggestions on here though, especially about the queues in london- hadnt thought of that. Anyone going near to Great Yarmouth this year- Bewilderwood is fantastic!!!! Especially for dads and kids!! or should i say small kids and big kids!!!:) Twin lakes in Melton Mowbray is also a great day out and suitable for younger kids. yvonne x

Guest Sharron & Andrew

We are planning on moving to OZ in the near future, but having lived in florida for a while discovered that it is the things closer to home that you tend to miss most, such as the local park where you take the kids to play or the walk to school.

My advice is get the camcorder and camera out and take loads of photos and footage of things you wouldn't normally consider 'special'. That's what I'll be doing this time anyway!

Good luck with the move,

Sharron (36) & Andrew (36) Matty (Mathew 12) Kenan (9) & Rebecca (16 - who we are leaving behind for now)!

Guest The Pottertons

Thanks Sharron and Andrew, what a fantastic tip. Id never have thought of that but its true! Plus its great for the kids to remember where they came from and what life was like in their homeland, Thanks a lot!