Blightys British Fish and Chip Shop For Sale

Ktee

Isn't it a shame, this is peoples lives being affected by the lack of business and trade. Not only is it a chippy closing it is also more people out of work.

i wish them and their staff every success for the future, can't fault them for having a go on their own......

They have put the whole business up for sale. Nobody's out of work just yet.

I just saw their Facebook post, and I must say, all I read from it was 'business not doing well, can't say that as nobody will buy it'.

I thought they were only talking recently about setting up a new one. Didn't they also import the double decker bus for a mobile chippy. I agree with Blossom you wouldn't go through all this and then a few months later decide to move back to the UK suddenly. I know in Melbourne the English fish and chip shops never worked nor did the ones in Cairns. I remember discussing this with Kath but she told me she knew best and theirs would be a huge success. Its hard because with importing everything prices have to be high but the locals won't pay it. Aussies hate British chips so you are really limiting your market just to Brits and if they aren't happy with the food/service that's all your customers gone.

I really do feel for them as they put a lot of work in to this. They have to remember though businesses always make a loss in the first two years. Personally I wouldn't take it on even if they gave it away.

I wonder how much it's going for, and whether my wife would fancy a family business...

Need to buy a growing business not a going one!

However the one in Brisbane is doing well, and doing franchises, but I believe Blighty's was/is connected. As others have said location location! I cannot comment on Blighty's but Brisbane one is nice and worth the money, they also have themed nights, haggis for example, draws in extra trade mid-week.

I think it could do very well indeed if it were run better.

I worked in a chippy in my youth and we would always cook extras of everything so people didn't have to wait (except scampi). They certainly would have had more business from me if I didn't have to wait so long for the food.

Those were the days Blossom! when it was non stop every time the chippy was open, big queues went quick, however when we go back now the chip shops are not that busy and just about cook to order, as soon as you walk in they are asking "how many fish do you want?"

I just read their Facebook page - they are moving back to the UK, new rail contract too good to turn down. Wonder if he was working on the rather interesting Noarlunga Rail Upgrade project.....opens in September, no wait, October, no wait November........no wait, December...............

I gave it a miss for the first month it was open as I new it would be busy but after all the mad rush was over I went, the first time was poor service and a bit of a wait but I go every couple of weeks now and its never busy as such just a steady flow and only wait 5-10 mins at the very most.Could still doing with a of stream linening in areas but hope it does not go under be such a waste.

This was posted on fb by Blighty's 10 minutes ago:

"Can somebody do me a favour and explain to the misguided and misinformed people on Poms in Adelaide that Blighty's business IS NOT CLOSING DOWN.

We are very much in profit

I don't work on rail projects in Adelaide; I own a rail construction and advisory consultancy that services large scale mining projects in Qld, WA and NSW

I have accepted a project in the UK that is extremely lucrative, so ...lucrative that I cannot say no to moving to the UK (and neither would or could any of you) and believe me I earn a shed load of money in Australia

The Blighty's business is for sale as I cannot do it justice from the UK

The staff are friendly when people are friendly to them (I do not pay the staff enough to take any abuse from anyone)

Why do you feel the need to denigrate a business that was set up by someone from your culture and community, who employs people from your community and sponsors your kids teams so that they can play sports in your community; do you walk into and Australian chicken shop and complain about frozen chips, pre-processed crumbed fish with such venom?

It's nice to have an opinion but to be opinionated is not so nice

When we decided to come to Australia 8 years ago we looked at similar web pages to seek advice and kinmanship; we found vitriolic hatred by people who seek to cause harm and spread malice - not a lot changes guys..... You are in paradise guys start to act like it and leave the hatred behind.

On a lighter note:

In 2.5 hours Janice and Paula went through 31Kg of Cod, over 80Kg of potatoes, 9 Steak Puddings, countless Kg of sausages and too many smiles to count

It's horrible being in this much financial trouble: hopefully things will get better for Blighty's haha "