When to visit Adelaide

Guest stickman

Guest stickman

Hi guys, haven't posted for a while... been busy thinking :goofy::wacko::err:

The reason for the post is to try to get an idea of a good time to visit Adelaide? We're just at the start of our visa application process and to be honest we'd like to visit Adelaide to get a feel for the place and see if it's right for us before we get too far down the road.

Obviously 'winter' will be heading Adelaide's way soon and I was just wondering if anybody had any tips on when not to visit, or when would be best to visit? Looking around the web has highlighted average temperatures and rainfall for the next few months and obvioulsy it's not going to be a 'summer holiday' but will it make much difference do you think? Better waiting until the end of the year and enjoying the better weather, or risk coming during the 'wet/cold months' and knowing that it's what we want, or not, sooner rather than later?

I appreciate that this is probably a stupid question and it's our decision, but I've done so much thinking lately that my head hurts and I need some help, lol

Cheers,

Tony

Hi Tony,

well if you come in winter, you will see that it does get cloudy here, it does rain,but unless you are unlucky you will see that there are also an awful lot of clear sunny days as well. You could see that Adelaide is lucky enough to allow us to experience for a short time that cosiness of open fires, heavy rain drumming on the tin roof, brisk winter walks to warm up and then just as everyone is getting a bit sick of the cold weather the trees are sprouting new leaves and Spring is here. There are still lots of things to do here in winter and it doesn't get properly dark until about 5.30 so there is plenty of time for small road trips around Adelaide to take in the sites. Being winter you may get good deals on accomodation.

If you come in summer you will see what most people expect of Australia, heat, sun, beaches, bbqs, outdoor life. Accomodation may be harder to get and maybe a bit more expensive as cheap deals are fewer on the ground.

Adelaide is a great place any time of the year, so anytime you come you can get a feel for the place. Some people would say Adelaide is at its worst right now at the end of summer as it's so dry, everything's still a bit frazzled and dusty as we need some decent rain.

I'd say that if you are worried you might not take to the place and don't want to have spent a lot of time and energy with the application process, then come as soon as it is possible for you. If you don't like it then you have saved yourself from the application process and if you do, then that little taste will sustain you through the frustrations waiting for the visa. Either way you will have visited somewhere where a lot of people wished they had been.

Wow Rachie, you do write a good post!

I must admit, Autumn (now) is my fav time of year. We have sunny, crisp mornings, then the sun gets hotter to a pleasent 20 to 25 degrees (some days even hotter) but at least you get the break from endless heat felt in Summer. I guess it depends on how you like your weather!

Judi x

Guest stickman

It looks like the only time that we're going to be able to make it is August. We'll pack the waterproofs and fleeces then, lol

I'll be picking the collective PIA brains for ideas on places to stay on a budget soon then:wacko:

Wooohoooo can't wait :jiggy: