Stopovers when flying back to the UK

tori0609

Hello all.

Thinking of going back to the UK and adding in a 'stop-over' on the way.

We've been to Singapore and Hong Kong and would love to see more of the World. Apart from Dubai does anyone have any recommendations on a stopover somewhere and a reasonably priced airline?

Many thanks in advance :)

We are flying with Malaysia airways this Thursday via Kuala Lumpar, they were the cheapest at the time of booking, though we are not doing a stop over there, another airline to try is Royal Brunei, worth a visit, they used to have a free theme park not sure if so now, no booze though it's a dry country, but think you can take some duty free into your hotel room.

You could also try the other way around via the states, but usually a more expensive route. It also depends when you travel too, we have done a few around the world trips with a year round price, worked out cheaper at xmas time but travelling on the same flights, I use 'Best Flights' to check out all the deals and work things out from there.

enjoy the journey

Kuala Lumpur is a good spot for a couple of days. The airport is 45 mins to 1 hr away from the city, but a taxi from the airport is only about $25. Alternatively you can get the high speed train which takes 30 mins and costs a bit less. If you do go, there is a hop on hop off bus which will take you round the main sites. There is a bird sanctuary, a butterfly sanctuary, which is very beautiful and museums etc. It is good for shopping and you can usually get a good hotel deal. Just outside KL there are the Batu caves and an orphan elephant sanctuary. I would choose a hotel in the Bukit Bintang area as this is where all the shopping malls are from local to high end. There are lots of restaurants around there too.

hi KL is a good spot and depending on the deal you get to do a side trip from KL to langkawi or Borneo is pretty cheap and combinable with your Malaysian airlines ticket - on the Earlybird deal in some case it is only an extra 200/300 per person to get out to either of these 2. they are more resort feel so just a chill out on the way there or back but is different idea from those who are bored of the cities. you can also do Bangkok with either Thai/BA or Qantas but you will have to go via Sydney or Mel first but they do some good fares. if you want really off the wall BA also do Tokyo but it's a bit more expensive.

the other option is to get a really good finnair flight which I know sounds weird but out of syd they are pretty cheap and then u can stop in Asia and Helsinki if you want to make a bit of a thing of it.

lastly if you have done Dubai then Abu Dhabi is only an hour away by road so gives you a different city and Ferrari world etc but obv it does have the same feel as Dubai so up to you

hope this helps and have fun planning ;-)

we went to Malaysia last year for 3 weeks and had 3 nights in KL and it was ace - we also had 3 nights in Langkawi which was so beautiful it was untrue. We've also had 3 nights in Bangkok about 4 years ago and whilst it seems to have a reputation for the seedier side but as a couple we had a fantastic time there, a truly amazing, vibrant city were tourists can blend seemlessly in with the hustle and bustle of one of the great metropolises of the world.

Ahh thank-you all for the fab tips!!!

OK Morris there are some great ideas there. We've visited KL, Bangkok, Tokyo & Langkawi but love the idea of Borneo and especially Helsinki! (or Tokyo again).

Has anyone ever gone Shanghai or places in the States?

Thank-you all again - :)

There is heaps and heaps to do in the States, we love the damn place for visiting, want to do 6-12 months in a big RV some time. However depends on how much time you want to spend there and if you have any particular place/s in mind then maybe we can enlighten you more.

I see you are from Wiltshire, we will be there on Friday Calne, Trowbridge and Chippenham, my wife come from Devizes and we lived in Trowbridge for 12yrs before OZ, Where are you going back to and when?

Good luck with your return and happy journey's

hi KL is a good spot and depending on the deal you get to do a side trip from KL to langkawi or Borneo is pretty cheap and combinable with your Malaysian airlines ticket - on the Earlybird deal in some case it is only an extra 200/300 per person to get out to either of these 2. they are more resort feel so just a chill out on the way there or back but is different idea from those who are bored of the cities. you can also do Bangkok with either Thai/BA or Qantas but you will have to go via Sydney or Mel first but they do some good fares. if you want really off the wall BA also do Tokyo but it's a bit more expensive.

the other option is to get a really good finnair flight which I know sounds weird but out of syd they are pretty cheap and then u can stop in Asia and Helsinki if you want to make a bit of a thing of it.

lastly if you have done Dubai then Abu Dhabi is only an hour away by road so gives you a different city and Ferrari world etc but obv it does have the same feel as Dubai so up to you

hope this helps and have fun planning ;-)

Just to Add.....OkMorris there is also Yas water world.........it's so exciting, so much fun with lots of water fun games and activities not far away from Ferrari world.

There is heaps and heaps to do in the States, we love the damn place for visiting, want to do 6-12 months in a big RV some time. However depends on how much time you want to spend there and if you have any particular place/s in mind then maybe we can enlighten you more.

I see you are from Wiltshire, we will be there on Friday Calne, Trowbridge and Chippenham, my wife come from Devizes and we lived in Trowbridge for 12yrs before OZ, Where are you going back to and when?

Good luck with your return and happy journey's

Thanks for the info!

We've been to a few places in the States, San Fran, LA, Las Vegas, Hawaii, New Orleans, NY...... is there anywhere you recommend that won't break the bank with flights/accommodation by going that way around the planet?! We'd only want a few days to break up the journey and will have a baby and 3 year old in tow!

It's certainly a small WOrld - we are from Salisbury so just down the road!!!!

x

Thanks for the info!

We've been to a few places in the States, San Fran, LA, Las Vegas, Hawaii, New Orleans, NY...... is there anywhere you recommend that won't break the bank with flights/accommodation by going that way around the planet?! We'd only want a few days to break up the journey and will have a baby and 3 year old in tow!

It's certainly a small WOrld - we are from Salisbury so just down the road!!!!

x

You don't live in fugglestone Red do you? Just that I built the roads and the 1st few houses there.

But blumming heck, you've just about covered everywhere people are suggesting, so guessing you know a fair bit on flights and that internal flights will be needed in the states, but to where will also depend on time of year especially with the little ones. Some deals do come in with flights to LA then on to other north American cities for $100 or so. if these deals were about you could look at the East coast cities Boston, New York, Washington and all the way down to Florida, from these places you have more chance to pick up good deal to get across the Atlantic, even a charter flight with the likes of Thompson. Or you could go up the west coast to Vancouver or Seattle. Last time we went to Vancouver it was actually, due to the day we needed to travel, more convenient and cheaper to fly back to LA then onto UK. Some might say this is a long way around and too much flying, to me it's a way of getting from A to E via B, C & D because that's what we want to do to see these places.

Ask away but I think you could tell us some things on travelling!

you have covered a lot of our wonderful world!!! in regards to the states I agree with Keith and Linda Vancouver is not a bad option or Qantas go into Dallas so you could do some of the southern states if you had a bit if time ( not much good for a 3 night stop I don't think) now that Qantas and emirates have joined forces we have a lot of people doing there mini round world fares so adelaide via Dubai to Europe and then home from Europe via NY or LA to adelaide - people do it this way to get the extra luggage allowance on the return flight from the USA so more space in the suitcase for shopping as u get 2 cases each coming home from the states!! you mentioned shanghai in a previous post and this is difficult unless you fly china southern which is a good deal but haven't heard great reports on them so your on your own there and u will need a Chinese visa!!!

also as keith says if u go into the main hubs of la or ny it is not much to do internals to other us cities from there however for a 3 night stop again it would be extra travel for not a lot of gain!!

good luck in whatever you decide but it sounds like you might need to get creative!!