Swimming lessons for kids and VACSWIM

snifter

Ok, so am trying to track down options for next year swimming lessons for my son. We've been doing them since he was 3, he enjoys them.

So far am looking at Westminster schools swimming lessons and Marion aquatic centre. I guess pros and cons with each.

Westminster is lesson noisy, term time only and runs after school till 6pm and on weekends. Depending on when you book in for. It is a bit more cost wise than Marion afaik.

The Aquatic centre is large, noisy and from 2014 will run all year with only a 2 week break in the middle of the year and summer holidays. Other school holidays it is planning to run. We also get a pass for son to use outside of swimming lessons for the pool.

Son is used to lessons in a teaching pool with other classes going on around him and a fair bit of noise so not unduly worried by the noise factor but the kids pool side is huge at Marion. He is also used to lessons all year round with only a break the week between Christmas and New year.

Anyone have experience with either of these?

Also VACSWIM. Was looking to putting the little one in for it as there is a local one at our beach. Anyone with experience of this course on a beach? Would you say beach or pool is a better option? Son already did the VACSWIM through his school at Marion outdoor pool a few weeks back but I am happy he does it over again in the holidays on a beach course as its obviously tailored differently and hopefully will give him more awareness and so on. Would just like to know if others have done them with their kids.

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by snifter

My kids have done Vacswim each year we have been here and they love it. My son has gone through the levels and is doing his Bronze Medallion with Vacswim this January, which is great. It is really good value for money too. I can't comment on the beach course as we have always done the pool option, my sister in law advised this as then you don't have to worry about the weather (too hot or raining etc) or the kids getting sunburned being out in the sun every day, so it's a bit more relaxing! Plus they usually hang around in the pool afterwards for a bit of fun. It's also good if your children aren't early risers, as it gets them into the habit of getting up early in the morning and keeps them fit.

I might also add that we did State Swim lessons a few years back and after a while realised we were paying out loads of money and the children were really getting nowhere. Just up and down doing the same thing each week. We haven't done any lesons since. For beach awareness it might be worth joining Nippers at the local surf club (Glenelg is ia big club for Nippers)- also surf safety down the beach is part of the curriculum, my kids did it in year 5.

Edited by Anne B

This sounds absolutely great, ive heard of the stateswim but not the Vacswim, just looked it up and it sounds very reasonable, I will definitely try and get my kids on it, what time does it start in the mornings please ?? its so great as they don't really do much at the schools in the way of swimming and I really want to get them back into the lessons as they were very fortunate in the UK having swimming every week with the pool at the school x thanks (does anyone go to the Noarlunga Leisure Centre?)

My kids have done Vacswim each year we have been here and they love it. My son has gone through the levels and is doing his Bronze Medallion with Vacswim this January, which is great. It is really good value for money too. I can't comment on the beach course as we have always done the pool option, my sister in law advised this as then you don't have to worry about the weather (too hot or raining etc) or the kids getting sunburned being out in the sun every day, so it's a bit more relaxing! Plus they usually hang around in the pool afterwards for a bit of fun. It's also good if your children aren't early risers, as it gets them into the habit of getting up early in the morning and keeps them fit.

I might also add that we did State Swim lessons a few years back and after a while realised we were paying out loads of money and the children were really getting nowhere. Just up and down doing the same thing each week. We haven't done any lesons since. For beach awareness it might be worth joining Nippers at the local surf club (Glenelg is ia big club for Nippers)- also surf safety down the beach is part of the curriculum, my kids did it in year 5.

This sounds absolutely great, ive heard of the stateswim but not the Vacswim, just looked it up and it sounds very reasonable, I will definitely try and get my kids on it, what time does it start in the mornings please ?? its so great as they don't really do much at the schools in the way of swimming and I really want to get them back into the lessons as they were very fortunate in the UK having swimming every week with the pool at the school x thanks (does anyone go to the Noarlunga Leisure Centre?)

Where we go (Thebarton) there are usually a few possible start times (earliest 8am latest 11 or 12) and if you apply online you specify your 1st, 2nd, 3rd choice of times. It's only in December after all applications have closed that they then let you know what time you have got. If you have more than 1 child they try and coordinate the times.

only me again, just wondering (as it doesn't really say online) I was thinking doing the Active Levels 1 - 7, do kids need to be strong swimmers to do this ?? or do they cater to the individual child?? im just worried I am gonna book it up and then they can't do it, they can swim but are not strong swimmers, and they apparently need to swim several meters as you get into the levels thanks

Where we go (Thebarton) there are usually a few possible start times (earliest 8am latest 11 or 12) and if you apply online you specify your 1st, 2nd, 3rd choice of times. It's only in December after all applications have closed that they then let you know what time you have got. If you have more than 1 child they try and coordinate the times.

only me again, just wondering (as it doesn't really say online) I was thinking doing the Active Levels 1 - 7, do kids need to be strong swimmers to do this ?? or do they cater to the individual child?? im just worried I am gonna book it up and then they can't do it, they can swim but are not strong swimmers, and they apparently need to swim several meters as you get into the levels thanks

I think Vacswim tends to assume that you do it every year and start at the bottom and work your way up through the levels. Might be best to try and ring them and talk to someone about what levels your children shoule be in. I think kids can get moved from one class to another on day 1 if they are obviously in the wrong group.