Speeding fine

malkitek

Hi

has anyone chosen to contest their speeding fine in court rather than paying the fine? If so, what happens?

my hubbie got fine for going at 61km/hr on a 50km/hr road. Okay that is obviously wrong but we were both under the wrong impression that it was a 60km/hr road as it turns off from a 60km/hr road, is not residential and we have since found the only 50km/hr sign which is small, attached to a electrical box two metres off the side of the road and has also been vandalised to look like 60!

just wanted to know if it's worth the bother! (Or expense?)

thanks

gill x

I say pay the fine, you would spend a lot of time contesting it and you would more than likely got found guilty!

You need evidence to the contrary, the police rely on certificates of accuracy and without an expert in the field of the device you got caught with, you have little or no chance.

the issue with contesting it in court, you will get a conviction recorded on your criminal history!

if you need any advice speak to a lawyer, they will probably take money off you and tell you to plead or pay it.

up to you in the end...

Guest Simon b

I really would'nt try to contest it. SAPOL and the Australian Road rules states that every road should be treated as a 50km speed limit unless signed other wise. I know it hurts to part with nearly $400 ive been there a couple of times, but best to just get it paid and forget about it............keep an eye out for those brand new Toyots Camry's at the side of the road.

Agreed, the road rules do say that if there are no other signs you should assume its a 50kmph zone, which is what their argument will be.

It is one if my pet hates that they don't make sure there are speed limit signs after roads turn into other roads. The main road through Middleton I have turned onto, from Middleton beach. It is actually an 80kmph road there, but as I have not been able to see any signs (and it was either 50 or 60 where I turned into it) I have been peeing off other drivers by doing 50 until I see a sign. And that is a prime tourist area where surely they can't expect people to know the roads and the speeds without signs.

Anyway. Grrrrr on your behalf.

Feel for you, there seems to be no "stopping dangerous driving" aspects to some of these limits. Still you can sleep easy knowing you have probably contributed to a few extra christmas crackers for the traffic police christmas party this year!

Incidentally, driving through Hutt Street in the city the other day we noticed that speed limit signs now indicate 40 kph rather than 50 - I don't know if this is an 'across the CBD' change, but if you're driving in the city, keep your eyes peeled just in case.

Dianne, ignorance of where the fines actually go astounds me.

Maybe attend a fatal accident or go and knock the door of those who have lost their lives due to drink/drug or speed related collisions. The police would rather not be there to deliver a death message.

Christmas crackers are the last thing the traffic police will be pulling!

Speed does kill, fines don't!

Edited by ratters2005

• 3 weeks later...
Dianne, ignorance of where the fines actually go astounds me.

Maybe attend a fatal accident or go and knock the door of those who have lost their lives due to drink/drug or speed related collisions. The police would rather not be there to deliver a death message.

Christmas crackers are the last thing the traffic police will be pulling!

Speed does kill, fines don't!

Well, I seem to spend more time looking at my speedometer than at the road these days, as I am determined not to be fined for drifting slightly over the limit. So tell me what's more dangerous - doing a few kilometres over occasionally, or constantly looking away from the road because they have made us so fearful of having our hard-earned money forcefully extracted (I don't care where the money goes, the point is that it isn't mine any more).

A much better system would allow drivers who aren't doing much above the speed limit to avoid a fine the first time in a given period, pay a fine if caught a 2nd time, and if caught a third time, pay for the first offence too. With IT handling it all, that wouldn't be complicated.

I nominate a period that resets after 6 months, maybe a year.

You can't tell by the sound of the engine? How far down your foot is if on a flat road? How fast the cars go past you? I can tell as a passenger if we are speeding even a little bit.

Maybe some people pick up on this better? I only check my speedo for a second every 30 seconds or so. I manage not to accidentally put my foot down hard in that time. You know you're supposed to keep checking mirrors as well don't you?

The logic that you are not watching the road if you do these things is crazy to me. They are part of driving!

You can't tell by the sound of the engine? How far down your foot is if on a flat road? How fast the cars go past you? I can tell as a passenger if we are speeding even a little bit.

Maybe some people pick up on this better? I only check my speedo for a second every 30 seconds or so. I manage not to accidentally put my foot down hard in that time. You know you're supposed to keep checking mirrors as well don't you?

The logic that you are not watching the road if you do these things is crazy to me. They are part of driving!

Well it must be good to be so perfect. There's no need to be aggressive. I'm simply suggesting that the current system isn't fair to people who drive responsibly and occasionally stray over the limit. Og course, my suggested system would mean the coffers would fill up less quickly, eh?

It just gets me riled when people say that if you check your speed you are not able to concentrate on the road. It's just an excuse in my book.

But not in mine. I have been fined twice in 23 years, so I am not lead-footed. I am a responsible, safe driver who looks at the speedo more than I would like to, because of the climate of financial fear that the authorities have instigated. It's not an excuse, it's a reason, and I'll bet that plenty of others do it too

We all know when we are really speeding. We check our mirrors and speedo all the time without even noticing. Going a few KS over ie 2 or 3 is different from 10, we know we're going to fast then.

I like the fact that the majority of road users stick to the speed limit. Yes a few go to fast but do you not think they get caught and fined ?

If your speeding it's your fault and all the excuses in the world will not change that. But it's today's culture to whine and moan when we get caught and come up with excuses. Bottom line is if your speeding you deserve to get fined.

Guest Claire-n-tel

I have heard it argued by lots of people that they are looking at their speedo or rear veiw mirror every few minutes for speeding or speed traps.......when i learnt to drive i was taught that my attention should be constantly on the road ahead, everything around me, my mirrors and my speedo.

It should take significantly less time to glance at your speedo than it does to check all 3 rear vision mirrors, something which you should be doing every few seconds anyway.

I have heard it argued by lots of people that they are looking at their speedo or rear veiw mirror every few minutes for speeding or speed traps.......when i learnt to drive i was taught that my attention should be constantly on the road ahead, everything around me, my mirrors and my speedo.

It should take significantly less time to glance at your speedo than it does to check all 3 rear vision mirrors, something which you should be doing every few seconds anyway.

Agreed. My driving instructor used to cover my rear view mirror then ask me what colour the car behind me was. I always know to check my blind spot as the car which was behind me has vanished.

Checking mirrors and speedos are BASIC parts of driving. And most people here don't even have to factor in changing gears too!

I don't really care if people think I'm snooty when it comes to this. I've been driving since I was 18 and NEVER had a ticket, for anything!

I drive around 25-30 hours a week and still manage to get no tickets, and have no accidents. How? I learnt to drive properly!

Guest Claire-n-tel

A much better system would allow drivers who aren't doing much above the speed limit to avoid a fine the first time in a given period, pay a fine if caught a 2nd time, and if caught a third time, pay for the first offence too. With IT handling it all, that wouldn't be complicated.

I nominate a period that resets after 6 months, maybe a year.

I have to definatly disagree with this, that means that if you 'only' speed once every six months there is no punishment??.....there would for sure be people around who would use that as an entitalment, if they are late for something thinking "oh well i can speed a bit i haven't been caught for 8 months" the same way some people use their entitalment of sick days in a year even if not sick.

It is my opinion that much of this is a money making racket,on a grand scale.Bearing this in mind though,i feel the emphasis should also fall more on dangerous,aggressive driving,and ridiculously close tailgating,which we all see every day.I would support a move for more unmarked Police Cars on our roads,watching out for these idiots,and dealing out the Justice they deserve,i.e huge fines and bans.

It is my opinion that much of this is a money making racket,on a grand scale.Bearing this in mind though,i feel the emphasis should also fall more on dangerous,aggressive driving,and ridiculously close tailgating,which we all see every day.I would support a move for more unmarked Police Cars on our roads,watching out for these idiots,and dealing out the Justice they deserve,i.e huge fines and bans.

Totally agree. There should be far more tickets for tailgating than for speeding. It is far more dangerous. Most of the accidents I hear of people having here are rear enders. It's not a coincidence. Also using mobile phones. Most of the time I don't even look at other drivers, I'm watching their car, but if someone is all over the road or doing something really stupid I do. About 80% of the time they are fiddling with their phones.

Agreed. My driving instructor used to cover my rear view mirror then ask me what colour the car behind me was. I always know to check my blind spot as the car which was behind me has vanished.

Checking mirrors and speedos are BASIC parts of driving. And most people here don't even have to factor in changing gears too!

I don't really care if people think I'm snooty when it comes to this. I've been driving since I was 18 and NEVER had a ticket, for anything!

I drive around 25-30 hours a week and still manage to get no tickets, and have no accidents. How? I learnt to drive properly!

Not snooty, just in love with yourself

Guest Claire-n-tel

How has this thread turned into a slanging match once again!

I do not claim to be a perfect driver, i passedmy test 19 years ago (hardly any time compared with some) i have had a speeding ticket, i was doing 36 mph in a 30 limit at about am picking hubby up from work about 15 yrs ago (uk) I was p**$ed because i got caught but knew i was over so sucked it up and paid the fine and got the points (do the crime, do the time and all that)

Fast forward to 2010, in Oz, my job involved lots of outback driving, i had completed an advanced drivers course, an off road course, a 4x4 safety driving course)

I was not speeding, in fact doing about 50 in 130 limit) i was not on the phone, i had not been driving for hours or any other of those potentially accident causing things.

I rolled my car (well work 4x4) 6 times, i ended up about 100 m off the road down a slope, i was trapped for about 3 hours until i was cut out by the fire crew. I was flown here to adelaide not expected to survive, hubby spent the first several weeks in icu watching me while that was the case.

I sustained a major head and brain injury, 33 broken bones, skull, neck, back, ribs etc etc, I spent a total of over 4 months as an in patient and the next 2 yrs full time rehab as an out patient.

Now?.....well i am able to walk and talk, although neither of these things are the same as before, i will never be able to return to my job in fact my career is not something i will be able to carry on with, Both mine and Tels lives have changed beyond belief, and will never be the same again.

I have never told this story on the boards, there are a couple of people that i know personally that know but i have never mentioned anything about it otherwise.

I am not telling it now for myself but because this kind of stuff is always removed from yourself, "i don't speed dangerously" etc. You do not need to be doing anything wrong to have an accident, it can be due to the environment (as mine was) or by someone else so seriously why do anything that may increase the chance of it happening?

Excuse my if i have strong feelings on this but i think i have my reasons, if just one person can not end up where i am now then i don't care if a thousand people along the way thing i am acting "perfect / snooty / a stickler for stupid laws or supporting raising revenue.:unsure: