Make sure your rego is paid folks!

Lily Rainbow

It was so much easier when the rego disk was on the windscreen.

I have heard all the blurb about how much it saves the authorities by not having the disk anymore but it's a mistake...in my humble opinion!

You can check online when your disk is abut to expire.

The link is:

http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transport,%20travel%20and%20motoring/EzyReg

The authorities have invested in cameras at certain locations to read number plates.

Money making racket to catch people with expired rego's.... and the old system was better.

Tamara

Wow! The penalties were already harsh but now they represent more than many people (well, me anyway lol) can afford. I can only think the number of penalty payment plans will rocket!

I am seriously considering taking up the new monthly direct debit for our rego. I believe it will be cheaper to pay annually but since there haven't been many years that I have been able to afford to pay in one hit, the direct debit definitely sounds like a plan!

BTW, the monthly payment has to be set up at least one month before your current rego expires.

:shocked: LC

Are the big camera things over south road, o'halloran hill and down the bottom of ocean boulevard road for reading number plates for rego ? Was wondering what they were for. We do get letters sent out to remind us to pay our rego , but I find we often get them up to 6 weeks before it is due I have no intention of paying them that far in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw them the other day on the way back from Goolwa and thought they looked like the average speed check cameras that time you at different spots and then work out your average speed.

If you have got from A to B too quickly then you get a fine in the post I assume as they have your rego.

They have them on Port Wakefield road and I remember them being on the M25.

I may of course be totally wrong as I only noticed them out of the corner of my eye when driving (and I don't venture down that part of Adelaide very often).

Yes, could be the average speed cameras like on port Wakefield road, and on the way to Keith (don't know the road, might even be after Keith).

I use the ezreg app which generally is very good. It saves onto the calendar on your phone.... Until this last time with my partner when it didn't..... It was only because I was looking fowards at the next month and noticed mine was due that I realised we hadn't paid his for a while... It was two weeks over due by then. Luckily he only drives for about five minutes a day, but that is past a huge great police station, and he has a kev car, so you'd have thought they'd of noticed. Luckily they didn't.

• 2 weeks later...

I received a rego reminder in the mail about a week ago. It says that the direct debit option works out cheaper than paying for a 3 month rego.

The registration process requires that your id be verified. This is by means of drivers licence and then they also send you a letter with a code to complete the process.

I just received the code and went online to renew the licence. Guess what. You can only put a vehicle on direct debit if there is more than 1 months licence remaining on it. Just phoned them to confirm this too.

I now have to renew the rego for 3 months. This will allow me access to set up a direct debit and pay monthly from therefter. I figure fifty bucks a month is better than being slugged $600 in one go but I suppose there could be issues around having enough funds in your account!!

There is also a button on the system that allows you to set up automated e mail reminders that your licence will be expiring.

Tamara

It's cheaper by direct debit? Wow.

Only cheaper than the 3 month renewal. I think that it will be more expensive to pay monthly than to pay a one off fee for the year.

I just paid for the 3 month...then it let me register the car for direct debit. The amount per month will be $54.33.

It says that the payments are always 1 month in advance and if the debit gets dishonoured they will try again. I set it up from a savings account as I figured that credit cards expire and the numbers change every few years whereas bank account numbers stay the same.

Tamara