Anyone understand VoIP phones?

jtct

We've had a VoIp phone (naked?) and internet with Adam for 2 years. The phones have suddenly stopped working and the help desk is useless. :sad:

When it comes to computers we're pretty clueless and I really don't understand what the solutions they suggest are - its all gobbledygook! I know enough to get by but anything technical scares the pants of me!:confused:

We can't call them (as they suggested) as the B****Y phones aren't working!!!!! We get the message 'this phone is unavailable' and can't make calls out either.:arghh:

We're on Virgin's pay as you go mobiles but the reception is patchy (non-existent in Blackwood and Coromandel) so we're really stuck at the moment. Everything was working fine a few days ago but suddenly they stopped - no changes/updates have been made to my computer (not by me anyway)

We probably need to go out and buy a new handset - do you think this is the most likely solution?:idea:

Hated the whole set up process - a modem and numerous leads in the post and we had to follow on-screen instructions which were impossible. My SIL helped in the end but it took him 3 hours and woks with computers! Who are you changing to if you don't mind me asking?

We were spoilt in the UK with Virgin internet/mobile/cable package who gave us a brilliant customer service and they came to the house too (FREE) within 24 hours if anything went wrong.

I'm trying very hard NOT to be a whinging POM but ...................... this is trying my patience

Edited by jtct

Do you use Skype on your computer ? If so, you can use Skype to call any regular phone number as well. These calls however aren't free so you need to have money in the account.

I don't really have any experience with VoIP phones but if you post their suggestions we might be able to translate them into understandable language....

A few questions. am I right in assuming you are posting on here using the same Internet connection that your VOIP calls were coming through? And assuming you are, have you done the tried and tested method of rebooting the modem? And when I say that, don't just turn it off and on. Turn it off, pull ALL cables out, wait a minute and plug back in.

A few questions. am I right in assuming you are posting on here using the same Internet connection that your VOIP calls were coming through? And assuming you are, have you done the tried and tested method of rebooting the modem? And when I say that, don't just turn it off and on. Turn it off, pull ALL cables out, wait a minute and plug back in.

Thank you so much ..... :biggrin:the simple answers are always the best ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY WORK !!!!!!!! JUST NEED TO REPLACE MY MOBILE NOW WHICH IS WELL OVERDUE.

Didn't think to unplug everything completely and only turned off for a minute originally!