WHY do you want to/ or did move to South Australia????

Guest Guest75

Guest Guest75

As in the title really.

Kind of a reverse question but it will be interesting to see the answers............

I'll start the ball rolling..........

Us?? Because We wanted a smaller population / bit of a country feel/ Mrs Tyke's neighbor married an Aussie and nagged us to come/ Mrs Tyke had visited years ago and never forgot the place/ I just "fancied it. :cute:

Tyke,

South Australia was not our first choice of destination when we decided to emigrate and to be honest we really did not know what part we wanted to move to, just had an obsession with Australia then when friends emigrated in 2011 and said how wonderful there life was etc etc, we thought we would give it a go our friends moved to Perth so we decided to do the same and start the ball rolling in 2012 and decided on a reccie in 2013 and loved Perth and came back to find hubby's job title had come off the list for Perth and we were told by our Agent that we could try either South Australia or Melbourne and she recommended SA and to be honest the more research we have done the more we are liking SA only thing is we dont know anyone there and we have friends in Perth!!

So we are just going to roll with it and in a year or two if we dont settle we can always move back to Perth or may just love SA more!!

Bal

Perth was always our first choice.

Our migration agent sold us on SA! She used to work for DIAC in Adelaide.

We didn't do a reccie and just arrived!

One of the biggest reasons was property prices. We came in from at a time when our local currency was devaluing and affordable property was a priority and the possibility of a large mortgage wasn't too appealing.

A smaller city, less crime ....all factors. We arrived with a need to slow down our pace of life and South Australia appeared to offer that.

I was born here but my parents migrated here....does that count??.....anyways.....Dad's first choice was New York but his sponsor didn't come through and so he moved here, met Mum here and they married. Mum moved here to be closer to her brothers as they had moved here. I probably wouldn't have been born if they hadn't moved to S.A. as they were from different countries.

we never even thought to come to Australia but after hubby lost his job and posted his CV online, got contacted about a job in Adelaide, so within 3 months and both kids safely sorted in Uni, we packed 2 suitcases and boarded a plane, and a year later we're still in holiday mode, both working and have made fantastic friends. Adelaide wasn't a choice for us more a necessity but its been the best decision we've ever made, absolutely love the place :)

Guest ColinOz

I needed a 7.0 in the all the bands of the IELTS test to apply for VIC sponsorship, got 6.5 on writing, started reviewing the states lists and found out that SA had my nominated profession and required a 6.5 for all bands.

Started reading about Adelaide and sounded like a good place to live, applied for my visa, packed my bag and here I am :biggrin:.

After going to an expo in Bristol and talking to all the state representatives, we were surprised to find out that South Australia still needed my job role (Sys Admin) and hadn't filled the previous years quota, so it represented our best chances of coming over via the State Sponsored Visa. We did a bit of research and the overall climate, access to coastline, size of Adelaide all seemed very appealing so we went ahead with it and here we are, coming to the end of the 2 year period in which we have to stay in SA but with no intentions of moving at all....it's lovely. Being able to be semi-rural, near the city and close to the beach just hits that sweet spot for us.

The choice being made partially for us, helped, as I think I would have found it hard to pick a place otherwise - would have gone in circles between Perth, Adelaide, and possibly Sydney.

Guest Claire-n-tel

Hmmmm......good one....lots of interesting answers!

We actually lived in the NT, i went to work one day and the next thing i knew i woke up in Adelaide!

Still here now almost 4 years on and don't really want to leave anytime soon!

We have probably the best and closest group of friends here we have ever had and for sure wouldn't have survived the last few years without them. :wubclub:

Guest MandiMR2

After touring Australia twice, we decided on Adelaide primarily as we have friends there, but equally because of the beautiful beaches, gorgeous green landscapes, Mediterranean climate, the wineries & the fact that everything is easy & quick to get to, hence the nick name "20 minute city" lol & also because we found it is less populated, less congested & less polluted then many other cities, giving it an overall calm & relaxed feel...& let's not forget it was ranked the 5th most livable city in the world for the 2nd year & the 9th most visited city!!! It definately gets my vote...Adelaide here we come in exactly...23 days lol

:jiggy:

Guest Guest12727
Seemed like the best place to bring up young kids, not as remote as Perth... in hind-sight, we would have gone to another state (one a bit more lively). xD

....or you could move more central to the city. There always seems to be loads going on in and around town.

We often go to Rundle St to Nova cinema and it is buzzing and this is nothing to do with any special events such as Tour Down Under or Fringe, just a normal Sat early evening, or even Sunday afternoon. I think same can be said for Norwood Pde, Unley Rd, Henley Beach etc.

However, I like the quieter life and a night at Semaphore Beach in the very hot week was far too loud and busy for me. I felt like I wasn't in Adelaide at all, there were people everywhere and the funfair and waterslide area was blasting. Great fish and chips though.

I was born in Adelaide, and after 14yrs living in UK, mostly around London and suffering commutes, I moved back to enjoy the benefits of the smaller city - but I knew what I was in for. To me Sydney would be just like London, hard work, long commute and expensive. Perth/Tassie/Darwin/Townsville/NSW Central coast too remote, Brisbane/Darwin too humid. Melbourne I could live if need be. With my work, it is only available in locations I have mentioned.

Edited by Guest12727

Guest BurgessFamily
....or you could move more central to the city. There always seems to be loads going on in and around town.

We often go to Rundle St to Nova cinema and it is buzzing and this is nothing to do with any special events such as Tour Down Under or Fringe, just a normal Sat early evening, or even Sunday afternoon. I think same can be said for Norwood Pde, Unley Rd, Henley Beach etc.

However, I like the quieter life and a night at Semaphore Beach in the very hot week was far too loud and busy for me. I felt like I wasn't in Adelaide at all, there were people everywhere and the funfair and waterslide area was blasting. Great fish and chips though.

I was born in Adelaide, and after 14yrs living in UK, mostly around London and suffering commutes, I moved back to enjoy the benefits of the smaller city - but I knew what I was in for. To me Sydney would be just like London, hard work, long commute and expensive. Perth/Tassie/Darwin/Townsville/NSW Central coast too remote, Brisbane/Darwin too humid. Melbourne I could live if need be. With my work, it is only available in locations I have mentioned.

I lived in a town in Northern England, between Liverpool and Manchester (with a 30min commute for work - in IT). Not over-populated, but lots to get out and do in the vicinity. There are things to do here...train/car museums, beaches, walks, wineries, Glenelg, Victor Harbor etc... just no-where near as much variety I guess. For instance, over the xmas break I longed to go to an aquarium with the kids (like the Blue Planet one), but sadly there's nothing like that here other than going for a swim in the sea lol.

TDU was good, went 3 days running this year, kids loved it. Shame it's only once a year. xD

Edited by BurgessFamily

We wanted to come to Australia but our original choice was Perth. Halfway through the visa process we realised it was going to become too expensive for us to buy a property there, Perth was REALLY booming at the time (2006). We switched our sights to Adelaide and although I do sometimes (rarely) miss the hustle and bustle of the UK, I'm glad we are where we are. We've been to Perth, thought it was nice but not nice enough to live there, went to Sydney and LOVED it but could never afford to live there, went to Melbourne a couple of weeks ago and although I thought the city was great I was less than impressed with the scruffiness/dirtiness of the surrounding suburbs. We would like to move closer to the Adelaide CBD but house prices are prohibitive. That said, we're happy down south. I love our beaches, I love McLaren Vale and Port Elliott, I love the safeness of the suburb we live in. Life is good! Bloody hot though...:biglaugh:

Guest Guest12727
I lived in a town in Northern England, between Liverpool and Manchester (with a 30min commute for work - in IT). Not over-populated, but lots to get out and do in the vicinity. There are things to do here...train/car museums, beaches, walks, wineries, Glenelg, Victor Harbor etc... just no-where near as much variety I guess. For instance, over the xmas break I longed to go to an aquarium with the kids (like the Blue Planet one), but sadly there's nothing like that here other than going for a swim in the sea lol.

TDU was good, went 3 days running this year, kids loved it. Shame it's only once a year. xD

Yes, Adelaide does miss some things like an Aquarium. We have been to the Melbourne and Sydney ones and love them (and London!), but I guess I would only go once if there were one in Adelaide, and there lies the problem. Not the population to support such things at the standard we would want in SA, so we have to look forward to such things on holiday. We knew we would miss some of the big shows here, but know we can go to Sydney/Melbourne if we really want to see something and on balance, the lifestyle here is worth it for us.

One thing I have wanted to do for a while is this canoe with Dolphins around the shipwrecks.

http://www.adventurekayak.com.au/dolphin.html

Not sure I could do this elsewhere. :smile: Must book it!!

Guest Guest75
Yes, Adelaide does miss some things like an Aquarium. We have been to the Melbourne and Sydney ones and love them (and London!), but I guess I would only go once if there were one in Adelaide, and there lies the problem. Not the population to support such things at the standard we would want in SA, so we have to look forward to such things on holiday. We knew we would miss some of the big shows here, but know we can go to Sydney/Melbourne if we really want to see something and on balance, the lifestyle here is worth it for us.

One thing I have wanted to do for a while is this canoe with Dolphins around the shipwrecks.

http://www.adventurekayak.com.au/dolphin.html

Not sure I could do this elsewhere. :smile: Must book it!!

The Temptation Dolphin cruise out of Glenelg seems worth it. Most times they find Dolphins and chuck a few out on ropes to swim with them. We watch all this happening from our house. Now and again we have had calls from people asking if the Dolphins are out today......

We were offered NT's, SA & Tasmania on a skills based 190 application.

After much research ...... it was my wife who set her heart on Adelaide as it has the "green" edge to it and seems to be much more affordable. My minor concern is that it will feel too much like the UK if it is as green as the pictures look......I want to feel like I'm in Australia. But like my wife said, "Do you expect to walk out your back door into F****ng sand and dust with a kangaroo staring at you?" :biglaugh:......fair point and well put I thought.

Guest Claire-n-tel
We were offered NT's, SA & Tasmania on a skills based 190 application.

After much research ...... it was my wife who set her heart on Adelaide as it has the "green" edge to it and seems to be much more affordable. My minor concern is that it will feel too much like the UK if it is as green as the pictures look......I want to feel like I'm in Australia. But like my wife said, "Do you expect to walk out your back door into F****ng sand and dust with a kangaroo staring at you?" :biglaugh:......fair point and well put I thought.

Hmmmmm......nope, its not really anything like England, a couple of times when we have been driving out and about we've comented that a bit of veiw looks a bit like somewhere but no mostly its not, sometimes hard to discribe why its different it 'just is'!

Lots of the NT could give you what you wife discribed, even in town, we lived in Alice Springs and our garden was a complete dust bowl almost impostible to grow stuff, we often had snakes in, probably after the hopping mice and there were always kangaroos over the back!:biggrin:

Guest Guest75
Hmmmmm......nope, its not really anything like England, a couple of times when we have been driving out and about we've comented that a bit of veiw looks a bit like somewhere but no mostly its not, sometimes hard to discribe why its different it 'just is'!

Lots of the NT could give you what you wife discribed, even in town, we lived in Alice Springs and our garden was a complete dust bowl almost impostible to grow stuff, we often had snakes in, probably after the hopping mice and there were always kangaroos over the back!:biggrin:

As Claire says really - you won't feel like you are in the UK I can assure you.

Now and again if in the hills near Hahndorf and odd places in the hills - or the odd Autumn day in the city. But they are more just pleasant reminders.

Guest BurgessFamily

Personally I find many things very British to the point I see myself at some time in the distant future sitting in a retirement home complaining how we never made it to Australia. :)

I do hope I see thongs, singlets, and mullets to remind me where I am.